Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 05:53 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
You're right, Bob. I've rethought my position.

The problem is intolerant Republicans (who frequently live in southern states) who are too willfully ignorant to believe facts that are incongruent with their exceedingly narrow world view. Their ignorance of science is laughable, and their commitment to the civil rights of gays and other minorities is tenuous to non-existant. Furthermore, these same folks seek to codify their own religious beliefs in to law and ignore the anti-constitutional ramifications of this same activity. Then, they have the nerve to trumpet the Constitution when any vague statement favors their belief in the slightest.

This same group of people who are our biggest political obstacle to progress are all too willing to play economic terrorist with our national economy and worship at the feet of the wealthy financial class who are the very reason for this economic crisis to begin with. No amount of hypocrisy -- or even outright meanness-- is too much for these folks if they feel it moves the political football in their direction one iota.

They seek to limit my right to marry and explain it away under a guise of Christianity and values while their own divorce rate and infidelity rate grows.

Is that better Bob? Do you feel I've been more consistent now?
That is the adult way to word a difference of opinion. Much better.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:01 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
You're right, Bob. I've rethought my position.

The problem is intolerant Republicans (who frequently live in southern states) who are too willfully ignorant to believe facts that are incongruent with their exceedingly narrow world view. Their ignorance of science is laughable, and their commitment to the civil rights of gays and other minorities is tenuous to non-existant. Furthermore, these same folks seek to codify their own religious beliefs in to law and ignore the anti-constitutional ramifications of this same activity. Then, they have the nerve to trumpet the Constitution when any vague statement favors their belief in the slightest.

This same group of people who are our biggest political obstacle to progress are all too willing to play economic terrorist with our national economy and worship at the feet of the wealthy financial class who are the very reason for this economic crisis to begin with. No amount of hypocrisy -- or even outright meanness-- is too much for these folks if they feel it moves the political football in their direction one iota.

They seek to limit my right to marry and explain it away under a guise of Christianity and values while their own divorce rate and infidelity rate grows.

Is that better Bob? Do you feel I've been more consistent now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
That is the adult way to word a difference of opinion. Much better.
I guess the hissing from Mark in his first and last sentence escaped you. LOL.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:46 AM

325 posts, read 486,692 times
Quote:
Really... How does it show you that? Stop listening to Rush/Glenn and go out and meet some people. I bet if I told you what I stand for you'd agree with at least 70%.

Does this polarization ever stop being fun for you? Does demonization of others turn you on? The biggest obstacle to progress right now is the caricatures the extremes believe about their rivals.
If the Nazi party had endorsed a candidate that wouldn't raise red flags to you?

Old 08-31-2012, 09:10 AM

34,937 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Please be respectful of other peoples comments and opinions. Personal attacks or flames will not be tolerated. Thank you, JayCT, Moderator

Old 08-31-2012, 11:37 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Tolkienish Figure View Post
If the Nazi party had endorsed a candidate that wouldn't raise red flags to you?
Sure. I don't equate the American Communist Party with Nazis. My grandmother was a member of the Communist Party in the 40's. She doesn't support white supremacy, as Nazi's in America do. Apples and Oranges and only comprable if Communism (which poses no actual threat) is some type of buzzword for you.

Labor is a focus of modern communism... It doesn't concern me at all that someone who is about to be a Labor Commissioner received commendation for being pro-labor.

You're welcome to be alarmed. I don't see the reason, however.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:43 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,923,096 times
Quote:
Sure. I don't equate the American Communist Party with Nazis. My grandmother was a member of the Communist Party in the 40's. She doesn't support white supremacy, as Nazi's in America do. Apples and Oranges and only comprable if Communism (which poses no actual threat) is some type of buzzword for you.

Labor is a focus of modern communism... It doesn't concern me at all that someone who is about to be a Labor Commissioner received commendation for being pro-labor.

Mlassoff, can you name one benevolent communist nation that there ever was, or is now? Just one? I can't imagine why your grandmother would align with commies. Was it fashionable to be communist in the 40's(serious question)?I really don't understand peoples' playing down the perils of communism.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:02 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruz2012 View Post
You do realize that the Bible advocates for communalism right?
Not by mandate, but rather, from their own free will.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:50 PM

325 posts, read 486,692 times
Quote:

The long, sad history of communism is one of misery, genocide, tyranny and oppression. Period.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:10 PM

468 posts, read 523,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
So factually inaccurate I'm too sure where to begin...
My point was that the main reason that Communism is considered unAmerican is because of fears of association between American Communists and the Soviet Union.

However, I'm curious now: do you deny that the Soviet Union engaged in an expansionist foreign policy in Europe after WW2? Or do you merely justify their actions as a rational response to their fear of Germany? Do you deny that they lent support to countries like North Korea and Viet Nam in a series of conflicts in which the US was also involved?

Old 08-31-2012, 02:41 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Hi Tetto:

Thanks for the thoughtful, respectful response... I'll do the best I can to respond in kind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
Mlassoff, can you name one benevolent communist nation that there ever was, or is now?
As with all things, its a matter of degrees and perspective. The Cuban regime has been at time, violent and repressive-- on the other hand every citizen there has health care (which is purported to be quite good-- Their life expectancy is 79. (Ours is 78.2). Is providing citizens with healthcare-- whether rich or poor-- benevolent? Would I want to live there instead of here? No F-ing way...

Israeli Kibuttzim are communist in their governance, formation and lifestyle. It is a quite successful movement...

Communism as ideal sounds great. People sharing, providing for each other and caring for those who can't care for themselves. The problem is that it is just that-- an ideal... and in practice doesn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
I can't imagine why your grandmother would align with commies. Was it fashionable to be communist in the 40's(serious question)?I really don't understand peoples' playing down the perils of communism.
Different time. Loads of American Jews-- especially in New York-- were communists. My Grandmother was also a social worker-- and EVERY Jewish social worker in New York at the time was a communist-- Read up on Shirley Ehrenkrantz who was one of my Grandmother's contemporaries. She graduated high school with Ethel Rosenberg. It was a very different time and it was the IDEAL of communism that was appealing.

The "perils" of the implementation of communism only became apparent later. Further more the perils were exaggerated through the right wing led "red scare" and McCarthyism of the 50's.

Communism is an idea. No one should be threatened by ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut