Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 07:21 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,957,981 times

Advertisements

In the post about the renter's oil heating cost being rather exorbitant, one of the later posters mentioned Malloy's plans to expand natural gas access in the state. Since not everybody reads every thread on here, I thought I'd give it a post of its own.

I had thought the legislature had killed the expansion idea, but maybe it was revisited at a later date? Is there a plan to expand access in the state? If so, is there a map, or maps, that show the areas where it's being rolled out?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 07:59 AM

470 posts, read 1,664,574 times
Like everything in politics, it is going to be next to impossible for 2 companies to expand their gas network when there are countless home-delivery oil companies in the state who contribute a significant amount to campaign funds of of legislatures to ensure they are the preferred service.

The only way the expansion will happen is at the local level and it will be in areas where the neighborhoods are very close to existing gas lines.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:02 AM

59 posts, read 139,662 times
Here's a map that shows where service is available currently: http://www.ct.gov/pura/lib/pura/gasp...ritory_map.pdf

It looks like about 60% of the state is covered. Yankee Gas ran the line to my house in Norwalk for free, after I signed a contract committing to hook up the gas line within 60 days. They appear to be extremely backlogged. I filled out the paperwork in June, but the line wasn't run until November. (Six months later)

Old 01-10-2014, 11:05 AM

470 posts, read 1,664,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megcm1 View Post
Here's a map that shows where service is available currently: http://www.ct.gov/pura/lib/pura/gasp...ritory_map.pdf

It looks like about 60% of the state is covered. Yankee Gas ran the line to my house in Norwalk for free, after I signed a contract committing to hook up the gas line within 60 days. They appear to be extremely backlogged. I filled out the paperwork in June, but the line wasn't run until November. (Six months later)
That map shows where there is at least 1 gas hook up. I know for a fact that some of those towns (Plainville and Middlebury for example) have very minimal gas service unless you live on the main road.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydez View Post
That map shows where there is at least 1 gas hook up. I know for a fact that some of those towns (Plainville and Middlebury for example) have very minimal gas service unless you live on the main road.
I think most towns on the shoreline have minimal gas service unless you live on the main road/downtown.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:21 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,756,499 times
That's a nice map but not factual in real life.

Most of those towns out in eastern CT have only natural gas major distribution pipe lines running through them but no residential gas service.

Example, I have relatives on a 20 acre parcel in Pomfret who have a gas pipeline through their property but no service in the town. North Stonington also has pipeline distribution easements through the town but no residential service.

Come down to the shore and Madison, Guilford, Clinton, Westbrook, Old Saybrook have natural gas down Route 1 serving commercial customers. However, there are only a few gas line branches off that Rt 1 line serving a few subdivisions within a mile or so of Rt 1. 95 % of homes in those towns have no way of getting natural gas.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:58 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,189,915 times
I know that the vast majority of neighborhoods in Ridgefield do not have natural gas.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:28 PM

879 posts, read 1,659,839 times
Much of Fairfield and Stratford have natural gas, and parts of Shelton, Trumbull, Monroe, and at least a little of Oxford (bordering Monoe). I would LOVE some sort of accurate map of realistic expectations for residential natural gas access.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:32 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,059,998 times
A lot of Milford has natural gas, West Haven too. Nearly all new construction in this area is gas. It's more common in the more densely developed shoreline towns. Danbury and Bethel have it parts too, my townhouse had it.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
A lot of Milford has natural gas, West Haven too. Nearly all new construction in this area is gas. It's more common in the more densely developed shoreline towns. Danbury and Bethel have it parts too, my townhouse had it.
Milford & West Haven are more "city" than town, though, no, with both having over 50k people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut