Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2014, 06:05 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,946,605 times

Advertisements

Do argee with Malloy with the paid sick leave bill ?

Gov. Dannel P. Malloy celebrated the 3-year-old paid sick leave law Tuesday with two lawmakers, an advocate, and a handful of union folks at the state Capitol.
The Democrat who is seeking re-election said all of the “horrible” things that opponents said would happen as a result of the law haven’t happened.
“The positive results of this legislation far outweigh the negative impacts,” Malloy said.
However, he admitted that there’s been little academic research on the topic.
The City University of New York did a study earlier this year, which found the Connecticut law had a modest impact on businesses in the state.
The law is limited to businesses with more than 50 employees and it exempts the manufacturing industry and YMCA workers. It also does not apply to any company that already offers vacation or other time off to its employees.

There was another study done in 2013 by the Employment Policies Institute that found of the 83 employers who responded to a question of whether the law was good for their business, 57 of them — or 69 percent — said it was not.
Eric Gjede, assistant counsel with the Connecticut Business & Industry Association, said they were successful in modifying the law slightly this year. They were able to get the state to agree to allow businesses to report the number of employees their business has annually, instead of quarterly.
But even with that, Gjede said the law “simply doesn’t do anything about the cost of complying with paid sick leave.”
And if it was as great as proponents say, “then why has no other state followed Connecticut’s lead in three years?” Gjede said.
Malloy defended the law.

“Connecticut has decided to make it less likely that you will be cared for by an ill person, or served food by an ill person, then that should be taken with pride, not criticism,” he said.
Proponents of the legislation have said that without paid sick leave employees come to work unhealthy in order to earn a paycheck and end up costing employers $160 billion per year in lower productivity levels.
Malloy said employers have told him they thought bad things would happen as a result of the law, but they didn’t.

However, paid sick leave may be one of the factors contributing to Connecticut’s low rankings when it comes to business-friendliness.
Connecticut was recently ranked 46th in CNBC’s latest rankings of business-friendly states. The cable network found that Connecticut has the fourth-highest cost of doing business, third-highest cost of living, and the nation’s second-worst economy.
But it also gave Connecticut high marks in other areas such as education and access to capital.

“I’m still trying to wrap my arms around that,” Malloy said of the survey results.
As for the overall economy, Malloy said he doesn’t believe things are “getting better fast” for average middle class family, but they are getting better.
“Change takes time,” Malloy said.
The statement is a twist on a saying Malloy coined early in his administration, which was “change is hard.”

“There have been 55,000 private sector jobs that have been grown since I became governor,” Malloy said. “. . . All I can tell you is that we’re working day-in and day-out to see that our economy does, in fact, create jobs as it has been.”
He maintained that “things are getting better.” However, who feels it and how they feel it is personal.
“If you didn’t get one of those 55,000 jobs that didn’t change your life,” Malloy said. “And certainly we understand it.”
Malloy’s decision to embrace paid sick leave won him the Working Families Party endorsement in 2010 and offered a clear line of delineation between him and his Democratic primary opponent, Ned Lamont.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 05:21 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,904,022 times
I've used the new paid sick leave, love it! We have less sick people coming to work now, so I didn't pick up as many viruses last year. You have to work a certain number of hours before earning the right to take sick leave, so it helps prevent employees from abusing it. I haven't used all mine and probably won't. Most full-time employees get some sick leave, I don't see why part-time employees shouldn't as well.

Old 07-02-2014, 05:41 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,422,661 times
From ages 14-23 I had a bunch of different jobs. With all of them, if I didn't work, I didn't get paid. When I started my first cushy office job it felt weird to be able to just take off [mostly] whenever I want.

I think it's an important benefit, especially when you start talking about people with families. That being said, it would only be for full time, or a very small accrual rate for part time. I look back at my days as a snot nosed 15 year old punk and there's no reason I should have been entitled to anything then. I worked like 15 hours a week lol.

While I am certainly no advocate of big government, and think they should have a much smaller role in private business, at least this law ENCOURAGES working. Normally, the status quo liberal mindset seems to create a society where people are better off not working. As the law stands I don't see myself caring enough one way or the other.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:15 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,491,723 times
I just think it's funny how he gets all confused when they ask him why CT is always at the bottom of every "business" survey.

As for the sick time. Full time people should get it (I think most do, ours is rolled up in our overall PTA) but part time should not. I mean, when I worked part time I called out at least 1 once a month because I was hungover (good ole' college days). It would be awesome to get paid for that, but if I didn't work I didn't get paid. I would suck it up and go.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:40 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,140,576 times
I like the idea that sick people won't be coming to work and preparing and serving food that I'm about to eat...

Old 07-02-2014, 08:31 AM

34,948 posts, read 56,970,098 times
My question would be is that do we even want an employer who would not even offer paid sick time. It kind of says a lot about the quality of the employer who does not offer such a basic benefit. Lets face it, if an employee does not get paid for sick time, they are going to come to work and spread their germs around. That is not good for anyone. If the employer does not see that then they are kind of just being cheap and thinking only of their bottom line, not the overall situation. This is a big problem in our workld today where corporations are being shortsight for the sake of a few pennies. Jay

Old 07-02-2014, 08:38 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,422,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
My question would be is that do we even want an employer who would not even offer paid sick time. It kind of says a lot about the quality of the employer who does not offer such a basic benefit. Lets face it, if an employee does not get paid for sick time, they are going to come to work and spread their germs around. That is not good for anyone. If the employer does not see that then they are kind of just being cheap and thinking only of their bottom line, not the overall situation. This is a big problem in our workld today where corporations are being shortsight for the sake of a few pennies. Jay
I agree. As a staunch supporter of small government, I wish more companies would do the right thing on their own so as not to empower the gov to do anything in the first place.

Again though, a line needs to be drawn. It's absolutely not fair for say, some rural gas station whose annual gross revenue is 80k a year to provide his one employee paid days off. As I understand it, there is no requirement to prove you were sick.

Many [most?] are going to use that time as paid vacation and STILL come into work sick. A large company with over 50 people (as the law states now) can afford that. The rural gas station owner...not so much.

Old 07-02-2014, 04:14 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,953,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I agree with paid sick leave. I also agree that many businesses today are short-sighted.

A permanent employee who works more than a certain number of hours per week should have paid sick time. This is especially true since many people can't afford to lose pay when they are sick.

I'd be a hypocrite to argue otherwise, since I was out for three weeks with kidney stones and received full pay the entire time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: