Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2014, 01:50 PM

691 posts, read 1,150,504 times

Advertisements

When purchasing a condo, how common is it for an HOA place limits on pet sizes?

I plan to get a labrador retriever...which of course can grow to between 80-100 lbs (yes I'm aware that a condo isn't 100% ideal for a lab...but I've done my homework, and am willing to commit to taking him to the park on a daily basis).
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 02:23 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Very common. Most condo associations don't even allow dogs - and the ones who do usually limit the size, and charge an astronomical amount in fees.

Condo < SFH.

Old 07-22-2014, 02:30 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,763,231 times
Extremely common. Those that do allow dogs, may limit them to 45- 25 pounds or less. When looking at condos, don't go by what a real estate agent says. Make sure to the read the condo docs . Then to be safe, contact the condo Board directly and ask. Things change and you want the most up to date info.

Old 07-22-2014, 02:35 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,207,659 times
My condo complex is pet friendly but they did revise the by-laws to read only 1 dog per household. When I moved in, it was 2. Never saw any size limit though. I see lots of people with dogs. Everyone cleans up. Honestly though, if someone has a large dog, it would be better suited for everyone to have a single family home with a bigger backyard to run around in. Most of the dogs in our complex that I see are small to medium with the exception of a giant Siberian husky that lives near me.

Old 07-22-2014, 03:20 PM

83,527 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Some condos have no limits. Some condos have limits on amount of pets but not size. Some condos have limits on both.

Your question of how "common" is it might not help. best to ask the realtor showing the place or the seller themselves. They can go to the board and ask to find out. You'll see it in the bylaws when closing but maybe its something you need to see and confirm before making an offer.

Yeah, Labs and Condos not the best. Lots of walks and swim time somewhere. Go walking every 4-6 hours if possible. Labs(or any dog for that matter) don't like to stay alone or be bored for a long time. They are like little horses. They need to fetch, run, play. keep moving. And FYI.. Labs LOVE the winter and the snow. I hope you do too.

Old 07-22-2014, 03:27 PM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
From what I have seen, most condos have limits to size. The largest I have seen is 50 pounds. Some are as low as 25 pounds. I would likely rethink either buying a condo or buying a large dog. Jay

Old 07-22-2014, 05:03 PM

83,527 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
From what I have seen, most condos have limits to size. The largest I have seen is 50 pounds. Some are as low as 25 pounds. I would likely rethink either buying a condo or buying a large dog. Jay
Agree on bolded.

There are more limits for either newer or multi level condos/buildings. I've seen, and lived in, townhome style condos that have no limits.

Old 07-22-2014, 05:14 PM

691 posts, read 1,150,504 times
Thanks for the information. I would actually prefer a townhouse...and even more so if it would allow me to get a dog.

I grew up in NYC and have never had a dog.....but don't want the maintenance issues that comes with owning a house, either.

I'm very aware of the degree of attention that labs require. I do have the luxury of summers off, and am fully willing to put in all the park and lake time my dog could handle. There have to be other condo owners with labs out there somewhere...they are the most popular dog in the US, after all.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:03 PM

639 posts, read 972,091 times
When we sold our house, we rented a condo for a year. At the time we had 2 dogs, 1 was 14lbs, the other was a lab, about 65lbs at the time. We walked them both several times a day. I swore I would never live in a condo again with the bigger dog. There just wasn't enough space. She needed to just run off her energy - and run, and run, and run. Dog parks aren't ideal for a number of reasons, and she didn't do well in a condo setting. It's not ideal for them. Yes, you may be able to feel you are doing what's best but when all they want to do is scratch at the back door to go out and run and you're in your pajamas/tired/sick/in the middle of something else at the moment....it's just not the best setting for them. I'd definitely recommend a house over a condo with a larger dog.

With that being said this particular complex did allow larger dogs. We rented so I don't know the full by-laws information.

Last edited by sandy6879; 07-22-2014 at 06:19 PM..

Old 07-23-2014, 04:56 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,902,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpfiction View Post

I grew up in NYC and have never had a dog.....
Take the advice of others here who have dogs, a condo is not a good home for a large dog. You are possibly setting yourself up for destructive behavior from the dog if you try and make this work. The dog might start chewing and barking excessively, going to the bathroom indoors, etc. There will be days that it's raining/snowing/you're sick/tired/busy and you can't make it to the park. It's just not a good life for a large dog. They may be a very popular breed of dogs, but most lab owners do not live in a condo. And if you plan to adopt a lab, you might have trouble finding a shelter that will work with you if you are in a condo. Reputable breeders will not want to sell to you, either. What's wrong with a smaller dog?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut