Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2014, 08:54 PM

492 posts, read 486,879 times

Advertisements

Hey friends..
thank you for all your advice in my previous forums..
After going through the trauma of house hunting…we finally contracted on another house.
Everything was going good… and we were particularly happy that the house has all natural gas.
Till the inspection.
The HVAC inspection reveals that the gas furnace is totally gone with multiple leaks (we were keeping fingers crossed as it is 27 yrs old). Also the AC compressor is almost at end of life and is supposedly smaller for the size of the house since the previous owners expanded the house by about 600-800 sq feet without changing the compressor. The whole HVAC system needs almost immediate replacement.
THe question is… what cost should we expect to replace the whole system..considering that we would like to go for a very good quality HVAC system. How much cost should we expect the owners to bear….
We don't want to bear the cost of HVAC as it will increase our buying costs and neither do we want to lose the house as its a good house (though old…45 yrs old..about 2700 sq ft) and has natural gas which is quite rare in the town..
On top of it… the radon levels are marginally high..so we are expecting to write to the owners to pay for radon mitigation system..
And we have put on hold the septic inspection till we get an answer about HVAC compensation from owners..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 05:43 AM

470 posts, read 1,664,990 times
From quotes I got from my 980 Sq ft townhouse, you are looking at anywhere from $6800-8000 for good equipment.

Old 09-23-2014, 05:47 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,362,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin100 View Post
How much cost should we expect the owners to bear….

All of it. No one in their right mind would buy the house without it being fixed by the owner.

Old 09-23-2014, 05:55 AM

9,288 posts, read 14,899,623 times
Did you speak again to the guy who did the inspection? There might be other issues with installation that you might want to add to the project cost. If there are a lot of leaks maybe more pipes need to be replaced, etc.
If the owners can't afford it up front, arrange for a credit at closing- probably best to do that anyway.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:30 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,489,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin100 View Post
And we have put on hold the septic inspection till we get an answer about HVAC compensation from owners..
Why hold off? If they added more sq.ft (and if it included an additional bathroom) I would do the septic right away. If something is wrong with the septic it could cost upwards of $15k to fix it. Do everything up front, it will save you suffering down the road.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:37 AM

34,925 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydez View Post
From quotes I got from my 980 Sq ft townhouse, you are looking at anywhere from $6800-8000 for good equipment.
This is about what we paid a couple of years back. Our home is about 2,500 square feet. Jay

Last edited by JayCT; 09-23-2014 at 07:38 AM.. Reason: Added house size

Old 09-23-2014, 07:53 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,958,998 times
Did the realtor point out the age of the furnace & the AC unit? if they were obviously old, you probably should have had it written into the contract that you wanted them replaced.

That said, a good gas furnace can last a lot longer than 27 years. The first home I moved into was about 35 years old and that original gas furnace was working just fine. It wasn't as efficient as a newer model, but it was still working just fine - I replaced it 4-5 years later when I also installed central air in the house.

Old 09-23-2014, 05:42 PM

[quote=Mr_250;36604621]Why hold off? If they added more sq.ft (and if it included an additional bathroom) I would do the septic right away. If something is wrong with the septic it could cost upwards of $15k to fix it. Do everything up front, it will save you suffering down the road.[/quote

We held on to the septic inspection because we want to know what is the owner's take on HVACcredit and Radon mitigation system. Otherwise our septic inspection fee would also go waste. Though in our letter we wrote that we are still to get septic inspected (it is original septic 45 yrs old)

Old 09-23-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
This is about what we paid a couple of years back. Our home is about 2,500 square feet. Jay
Did this price include the whole HVAC (furnace + AC compressor) and also the installation??

Old 09-23-2014, 08:14 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,230,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
Why hold off? If they added more sq.ft (and if it included an additional bathroom) I would do the septic right away. If something is wrong with the septic it could cost upwards of $15k to fix it. Do everything up front, it will save you suffering down the road.
I would definitely hold off too -- for the sole purpose of seeing how the heating and cooling issues play out before you incur the additional $500 or so expense of a septic inspection. If HVAC issues turn out to be a non-issue or non-deal breaker, then definitely next up should be your septic inspection. But I'm with you -- why incur the expense of a septic inspection if you're not going to buy because of other reasons you're aware of and that are already on your radar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut