Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 04:11 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,387,469 times

Advertisements

Yeah I wouldn't sweat the small stuff, most people who have driven any length of time has gotten a ticket
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 04:47 PM

193 posts, read 372,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
All for speeding??
Well, if they are all for speeding, averaging one speeding ticket every 5 years isn't that awful, especially if he does a lot of highway driving in CT/MA. Or, if you drive through my town (Simsbury), where the police seem to spend the vast majority of their time patrolling for speeders. Easy money.

Though I think I've only gotten about 3 in my 25+ years of driving.

Old 10-11-2014, 04:49 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,951,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
All for speeding??
All but 2. I don't think it's such a bad record. It only amounts to 1 ticket every 5 years.

I piled up a few tickets when I was younger. In the past 16 years, I have only gotten 2 tickets.

It was a peer pressure thing when I was younger. All my buddies were getting tickets and bragging about them. I came to view it as something positive. I only ever got dinged $40 or $50 when I got nailed back then -- never enough for me to care. I only cared about spacing out the tickets enough so my license didn't get suspended.

My last ticket was 17 months ago. Got whacked for $185 on that one, by far the heaviest fine I've ever paid. Still not enough for me to care. Before that, I didn't get a ticket for 14 years, and I only got fined $35 for that one when I went to court.

I'm driving to Boston Thanksgiving weekend and I have every intention of speeding on that drive, as long as conditions allow for me to do it safely. Last year, I did the same drive but had to go slowly due to weather conditions. It was a major disappointment.

Last edited by dazzleman; 10-11-2014 at 05:23 PM..

Old 10-12-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I'm driving to Boston Thanksgiving weekend and I have every intention of speeding on that drive, as long as conditions allow for me to do it safely. Last year, I did the same drive but had to go slowly due to weather conditions. It was a major disappointment.
The most recent speeding ticket I got (about 1-2 years ago) was after flying back home from Ireland. Landed in Boston, I was anxious to get back home, and got a ticket from a MA trooper. I was ticked off that he also told me that he was pulling me over because I changed lanes without using a signal (which wasn't true), but I kept my mouth shut, because no good can come from disagreeing with a trooper.

If you have a smartphone, I highly recommend using Waze. Great app.

Old 10-12-2014, 09:14 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott R View Post
And if the officer starts beating you with a baton, tell him, "Thank you sir, may I have another?"
Thank you for not tazing me?

Old 10-12-2014, 09:16 AM

691 posts, read 1,150,504 times
Indeed. It isn't perfect (especially on an isolated road), but Waze is really your best line of defense against tickets. No, I don't advocate driving recklessly, but 80 in a 65 is appropriate and safe, at times. Also, check out something called the iMagnet mount on Amazon...you can magnetically mount your phone to your dashboard, without the hassle of a standard car mount.

[quote=If you have a smartphone, I highly recommend using Waze. Great app.[/QUOTE]

Old 10-12-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpfiction View Post
Indeed. It isn't perfect (especially on an isolated road), but Waze is really your best line of defense against tickets.
Yeah, it's pretty useless for rural roads. I work from home, and most of my driving is to run errands within 15 minutes of home, where I'm driving through our rural roads, so it's not something I use often. But if I'm getting on a highway, I try to remember to turn it on. Plug in your destination, and the GPS functionality is also great for rerouting you to avoid traffic conditions.

For those unaware of this app, it not only alerts you to speed traps, but also construction, objects in the road, etc. The information is reported by other drivers (either via user input, or automatically in the case of traffic congestion).

Old 10-12-2014, 12:07 PM

691 posts, read 1,150,504 times
Yes, my only issue with the app is that their maps are too 'busy', no matter what you select in your settings--especially along the major interstates. I just want to see my location, upcoming exits, and whether or not any troopers are hiding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott R View Post
Yeah, it's pretty useless for rural roads. I work from home, and most of my driving is to run errands within 15 minutes of home, where I'm driving through our rural roads, so it's not something I use often. But if I'm getting on a highway, I try to remember to turn it on. Plug in your destination, and the GPS functionality is also great for rerouting you to avoid traffic conditions.

For those unaware of this app, it not only alerts you to speed traps, but also construction, objects in the road, etc. The information is reported by other drivers (either via user input, or automatically in the case of traffic congestion).

Old 10-12-2014, 02:32 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
What a nice guy.

Old 10-13-2014, 06:13 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,923,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpfiction View Post
Indeed. It isn't perfect (especially on an isolated road), but Waze is really your best line of defense against tickets. No, I don't advocate driving recklessly, but 80 in a 65 is appropriate and safe, at times. Also, check out something called the iMagnet mount on Amazon...you can magnetically mount your phone to your dashboard, without the hassle of a standard car mount.
Just use some velcro. Put two inches on the dash and back of your phone. Its like .25 worth of tape off a 4$ roll
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut