Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 06:58 PM

6,589 posts, read 4,977,963 times

Advertisements

I find shower stalls to be claustrophobic, and the current open bathroom trend (where everything is just glass walls) to be kind of creepy. Guess I am old fashioned lol. I don't take baths often but I like the option to be there.

My house is also almost 100 years old and I'd never remodel it in that fashion. I tend to redo in the spirit of the house. Again, that's me, I lead a fairly simple life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 08:23 AM

21,765 posts, read 28,094,478 times
I would be hesitant to buy a place without a bathtub, and would look for the price to be discounted because of it.

It really does limit your buyers.

If it was a loft in a city, that would be a different story - but a family-orientated neighborhood? Seems like a bad idea unless you never plan on selling.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:54 AM

856 posts, read 2,015,663 times
Depends how long you want to stay and how simple it would be to reverse it. If you're staying another 10 years then why limit your comfort? However if you have changing careers or might relocate to be near other family or might need to sell for financial reasons then maybe you want to resist.

Consider this...you can always offer a concession when you sell for the new buyer to have the bath of their dreams...as long as your shower project doesn't make it too hard to reverse, I'd say a lot of people would like a fancy new bath.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:46 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,231,797 times
I could definitely see builders going with the trend of large walk in showers in the master bedroom in lieu of a soaking tub or jacuzzi, but I would bet they're definitely putting a tub somewhere else in the house -- I.e. main hallway bathroom. If you just have the one full bath, I would be very hesitant about taking it out, unless as others mentioned you plan on staying for a very long time and are prepared to limit your potential buyers' pool when you do sell. That set up would not be appealing at all to families with young children, or young couples who are starting out with babies in their future.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:08 AM

74 posts, read 299,737 times
Thanks for all the input. We've just had a big discussion about should we stay or should we look elsewhere in our neighborhood... and we're staying. We've already done a lot to the home - we may as well just keep going and make it what we want for the time we're here.

My husband still wants his walk-in shower even though I've discussed resale issues. He's fine with changing it down the road.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:17 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,181,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTNYCT View Post
Thanks for all the input. We've just had a big discussion about should we stay or should we look elsewhere in our neighborhood... and we're staying. We've already done a lot to the home - we may as well just keep going and make it what we want for the time we're here.

My husband still wants his walk-in shower even though I've discussed resale issues. He's fine with changing it down the road.
Sounds like Stratfield, which is a hot area for resale. Put the walk in shower in and put the drain closer to the wall where the plumbing lines are, that way it will be easier to put a tub back in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut