Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 04:30 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,704,457 times

Advertisements

Hi, 28 year's old graduated college with degree in Psychology. I worked a year in EMS, six month's in the operating room at an area hospital, did two year's on a psych unit at a hospital before being laid off, six month's of work at a group home, a brief month working again in the OR, and now back working in psych.

I am only working part time trying to find per diem work or another part time job or even another full time job. Been having difficulty finding additional work. On top of that heard a huge hospital in the state is possibly going to do layoffs. One of my relative's works at a major telecommunication company they are going to announce who is being laid off tomorrow. Heard rumors at the hospital I work at the possibility of pay offs, but nothing in stone. It is a bit disconcerting.

I work $22 an hour make about $1500 a week. I like to maybe go back to school for nursing, but first need to find some type of job to save money up and work on becoming financially stable before doing that. I was considering taking the LPN class being cheaper and shorter route then the nursing program's. Also the program's are less competitive than the ADN or BSN program's. However, heard the state may close the program's again to offset the budget. Also very few job opportunities for LPNs in the state.

Any advice on hot job's, career area's should look into, companies I should check out in CT?

Appreciate the feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 05:26 PM

370 posts, read 608,995 times
Amazon warehouse if you want to make $12.75 chasing around robots.

Old 06-10-2015, 05:40 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,426,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Hi, 28 year's old graduated college with degree in Psychology. I worked a year in EMS, six month's in the operating room at an area hospital, did two year's on a psych unit at a hospital before being laid off, six month's of work at a group home, a brief month working again in the OR, and now back working in psych.

I am only working part time trying to find per diem work or another part time job or even another full time job. Been having difficulty finding additional work. On top of that heard a huge hospital in the state is possibly going to do layoffs. One of my relative's works at a major telecommunication company they are going to announce who is being laid off tomorrow. Heard rumors at the hospital I work at the possibility of pay offs, but nothing in stone. It is a bit disconcerting.

I work $22 an hour make about $1500 a week. I like to maybe go back to school for nursing, but first need to find some type of job to save money up and work on becoming financially stable before doing that. I was considering taking the LPN class being cheaper and shorter route then the nursing program's. Also the program's are less competitive than the ADN or BSN program's. However, heard the state may close the program's again to offset the budget. Also very few job opportunities for LPNs in the state.

Any advice on hot job's, career area's should look into, companies I should check out in CT?

Appreciate the feedback.
As long as you are looking for 'hot jobs' and not following some 'passion' of yours you will continue to be a gerbil on a wheel...circling....circling...on and on. You are 28 and have been in MANY different 'career paths' and still not found what you are looking for. To be fair, your 20s are for 'finding out who you are and getting an education, etc, but I feel from your post you are 'lost' and looking for a short-cut to CHA-CHING $$$.
PLEASE do not go into NURSING!!! We have enough 'pay check' RNs to last several generations and many of them are men (I never dreamed I'd actually SAY those words, but I've seen and worked with so many male 'pay check nurses' who are slack, that I am going to say it). I could very well be one of those patients getting 'less than good' care one day soon. Hope I can still think and speak out IF that happens.

Old 06-10-2015, 05:51 PM

I wouldn't say be looking at nursing as a paycheck. I mean I see it as the next step in terms of my healthcare career. I already do care plan's and a few limited nursing skills.

Will agree after college I had no idea what direction I wanted to go in terms of my career. I have done six year's of healthcare work, five year's of work in regards to patient care experience, and about 10 year's of work has been with the public. I am kind of in this bubble of I want to go back to school, I don't have the money, and I am in the situation where with bill's/current paycheck don't make enough money to support myself. I am still trying to pay debt off and work on keeping my head above the water. I like to hopefully be able to living on my own again now living at home after a year since being laid off. At this point I'll do whatever work that has a good income. I do want to try to be established by 32/33.

Last edited by RunD1987; 06-10-2015 at 06:08 PM..

Old 06-10-2015, 07:39 PM

Appreciate the advice again. I mean I am trying to outweigh of current job is worth it. I make $1600 a month. I lay $700 monthly in bill's, $400 a month of rent, $160 a month in gas, and a $60 parking fee for where I work.

In addition, a $1,000 car bill trying to save up to fix my car and a $320 bi-monthly tax bill for this year. Plus have a $600 car payment have to start paying in July.

I travel 800-900 miles a month have only 10,000 miles left until my lease car mileage goes over. My lease ends next May.

I am trying to find work. I have a per diem job that runs from the September to May. Hopefully will have another per diem job lined up soon, applied to a few more today.

I am debating becoming a CNA work night's hole to squeak out $2,000 a month. I already draw blood and do EKGs so hopefully that make me a bit marketable. Plus with my two per diem job's can make $2500-$3000 a month I be good hopefully. I can take a few day classes for my nursing prerequisites. Also can try to pay most my bill's upHi, 28 year old male graduated college back in 2011 with degree's in Criminal Justice and Business Administration. After about three years of trying to find police work changed direction looked into social work. That led me into working in the hospital and led me to wanting to become a nurse.

I have been doing four year's in the mental health system. Basically I do 15 minute rounding checks on the population, room searches, patient searches, facilitate group's, interview patient's, and document on them. Additionally, have to deal with hostile patient's which means some make weapons to harm you mostly themselves. Being kicked bit punched spit at by who knows what and having some unknown stuff thrown at you.

Pay is low I make $1500 a month. Was thinking of trying to find full time work in what ever job I can find save up, maybe taking a few graduate courses, work on getting myself back in shape, and pay my debt. Then within a year look into correction openings. Getting married in a year fiance wants to leave the state so good opportunity to apply to a few departments. Was looking into Maine, Texas, Florida, NY, Virginia, and CT.

Any feedback on working corrections: Pro's or Con's?

Also back when 25 did see a psych doc and took medication for 8 month's, but never had any issue's since. Think that will affect me being hired by a correction facility and save my money up.

Hopefully in next 20 month's have enough money to maybe move to Maine, they hire a lot of individual's for behavior health care. Then work my way from there into becoming a nurse.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:40 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,422,661 times
go back to school for ANOTHER undergrad degree at 28? yikes. unless you're rich and have the time and energy for another 100+ credit program I would avoid that. Move to North Dakota or Texas and get some oil rig job and stash away fat stacks of $$$ for the next 4 years instead of spending it all going back to undergrad college to become a nurse in CT.

Last edited by Sigequinox; 06-10-2015 at 08:37 PM..

Old 06-10-2015, 08:34 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,837,430 times
According to most people here moving companies. I would call GE first to see if they need any help.
Maybe come back in a few years after everyone has left you can turn the lights out, sweep the floors, and water the roses.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:49 PM

34,066 posts, read 17,088,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
According to most people here moving companies..
They are very busy up there. Between Met Life and now whichever of these 3 move, advising someone to seek work at one is sound advice.

At least Malloy found an industry he can help grow.

Old 06-11-2015, 06:20 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,904,022 times
Please don't be offended, but I have a small suggestion. After reading your posts, one thing continually jumps out at me. Your incorrect usage of apostrophes in plural words, and you do it frequently. I know it seems like a small thing, but if you are engaging in written correspondence with prospective employers, those typos really pop out and can leave a lasting impression. Make sure your cover letter/letter of introduction/resume do not contain these errors. It causes the reader to focus on the mistakes and not the content. Good luck in your job search.

Old 06-12-2015, 12:41 PM

12 posts, read 25,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
Please don't be offended, but I have a small suggestion. After reading your posts, one thing continually jumps out at me. Your incorrect usage of apostrophes in plural words, and you do it frequently. I know it seems like a small thing, but if you are engaging in written correspondence with prospective employers, those typos really pop out and can leave a lasting impression. Make sure your cover letter/letter of introduction/resume do not contain these errors. It causes the reader to focus on the mistakes and not the content. Good luck in your job search.
Yep, I was going to make a snarky comment about it. Very glaring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: