Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 08:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,719 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

My husband got a job in Greenwich CT and we're trying to decide which area to move to. We are coming from Manhattan and planning on having a baby soon. We're looking for a place that has young families, great schools, great restaurants and shopping, and we can afford $1M house. We're considering Fairfield near the beach but have heard college students can cause many noise issues and the garbage dump scares me (anyone ever heard of people developing cancer from being so close???; does it smell??). Does Fairfield have year round residents, or mostly seasonal and college? We have noticed so much new construction so not sure how the neighborhood is changing. Also looking in to Westport but not sure on young families and commerce/restaurants. Any suggestions and comments are MUCH appreciated. We're excited to settle in and start our family soon thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 09:33 PM

21,765 posts, read 28,102,272 times
I wouldn't wish that commute upon my worst enemy, unless his work is by a train station?

Otherwise he's going to deal with 25 miles of pure traffic hell.

Old 10-27-2015, 04:47 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,947,273 times
Honestly, you should also be looking at the towns to the north - New Canaan, Wilton and Ridgefield. For the reason Stylo pointed out - the traffic on 95 is awful. These towns give you options to commute that are not reliant solely on 95 or the Merritt. Your budget will go a long way in Wilton and Ridgefield, less so in New Canaan. All have excellent schools and are family oriented. While all three have downtown shopping areas, Ridgefield and New Canaan have two of the nicest downtowns in the state IMO. It's hard to go wrong with any of them.

Old 10-27-2015, 05:53 AM

17 posts, read 21,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiesb View Post
Hi all!

My husband got a job in Greenwich CT and we're trying to decide which area to move to. We are coming from Manhattan and planning on having a baby soon. We're looking for a place that has young families, great schools, great restaurants and shopping, and we can afford $1M house. We're considering Fairfield near the beach but have heard college students can cause many noise issues and the garbage dump scares me (anyone ever heard of people developing cancer from being so close???; does it smell??). Does Fairfield have year round residents, or mostly seasonal and college? We have noticed so much new construction so not sure how the neighborhood is changing. Also looking in to Westport but not sure on young families and commerce/restaurants. Any suggestions and comments are MUCH appreciated. We're excited to settle in and start our family soon thanks!!!
Given your budget, I think you can afford a town that's closer to Greenwich than Fairfield. As others have stated, a commute from Fairfield to Greenwich would be brutal on I-95 or the Merritt. If your husband works within walking distance of one of the train stations in Greenwich, Metro North could be an option, but his choice of trains would be somewhat limited, since a number of the rush-hour trains that service Fairfield run express to Manhattan past Stamford.

I suggest looking at Darien, New Canaan, Wilton, and the southern part of Ridgefield. Darien and New Canaan are closest -- just on the other side of Stamford from Greenwich. Wilton and Ridgefield are further away -- located along Route 7 north of Norwalk. You'll get more house for your budget in Wilton and Ridgefield, but your husband will be facing a longer commute. All of these towns have family-friendly neighborhoods, highly-regarded school systems, and access to shopping and dining.

Also, keep an eye out for properties that might suit your needs in Greenwich itself.

Good Luck.

Old 10-27-2015, 06:41 AM

34,943 posts, read 56,970,098 times
I have to agree with the others. A commute from Fairfield to Greenwich means commuting through Stamford and that can be brutal. $1 million can buy you a modest home in Greenwich and would cut way down on your husband's commute making everyone's life easier.

That said, Fairfield is a great town and $1 million will go further there than towns like Greenwich, Darien, New Canaan and Westport. The Fairfield Beach area is great. It is NOT a town of seasonal homes and college students. It is a well established mature suburb with great schools, excellent parks and beaches, wonderful shops and restaurants and a lot for families to do. The home prices there are lower primarily because it is on the outer fringe of what is considered to be commutable to Manhattan.

The issue with the college students is mostly along the western end of Fairfield Beach Road (generally centered around the lower Reef Road area) where there are still some older beach cottages that have long been rented to college students. This has been going on for more than 50 years now but has only gotten to be a problem since people have come into town, bought beach cottages and tore them down or remodeled them to be upscale expensive beach homes. These people have clashed with college students who right or wrong are being kids and having a good time.

The dump in Fairfield is long closed but there is a sewage treatment plant and garbage transfer station off of the lower end of Reef Road. There can be some smell associated with them but it is rare really. The streets to the east of Reef Road are great and have no problems with smells which is why so many of the smaller older homes there are being replaced with larger new homes. It is a great area. I think you would like it but again I would consider living closer to Greenwich if you can. Another option you may want to consider is Wilton. Great town and a little more affordable and closer to Greenwich. Jay

Old 10-27-2015, 06:41 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,946,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I wouldn't wish that commute upon my worst enemy, unless his work is by a train station?

Otherwise he's going to deal with 25 miles of pure traffic hell.
Fairfield to Greenwich is 40 min commute now and days traffic on I-95 is uinpredictable any time of the day

Old 10-27-2015, 07:07 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,182,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Fairfield to Greenwich is 40 min commute now and days traffic on I-95 is uinpredictable any time of the day
40 min is a pipe dream, not even close. Takes me 35-40 mins sometimes just to go to Rt 7.

Whats wrong with Greenwich itself?
Like the other guy said most of the college kids rent on lower Reef Rd and Fairfield Beach rd.
The dump can smell at times, especially on hot days, exactly why my other half did not want that area.
New construction is constant and never ending. Fun area though, lots of funky stuff goes on behind the scenes.
There is more top notch dining/shopping in the Westport/Fairfield/Norwalk area than you will ever need.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:40 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,947,273 times
Sad to say that a $1 million housing budget doesn't get you much in Greenwich and even less in Darien. That's not to say the OP won't find anything they like in those towns, but there won't be a lot of options.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:45 AM

786 posts, read 824,706 times
I'd look in Westport or New Canaan.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:37 AM

1 posts, read 1,591 times
What's this mean? "Fun area though, lots of funky stuff goes on behind the scenes."

you've got me curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut