Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2016, 09:30 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,730,901 times

Advertisements

We lived in Naugatuck about 8 years ago and have since relocated to Florida. We are considering the possibility of becoming snowbirds with a summer residency in Connecticut. I'm looking at listings and see that there are several low prices in the condo communities. Are these safe areas? I don't remember there being any unsafe sections when we left town, but we didn't live in a condo and a lot can change in eight years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 09:45 AM

2,005 posts, read 2,089,857 times
Don't think Naugatuck has changed much in 8 years....always been a blue collar town. Not sure about unsafe areas...

Old 05-26-2016, 09:58 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,706,694 times
Low mill rate in comparison to Waterbury, but around 40 I believe. Know there a few condo complexes scattered around town not sure of any new ones. Did know soneone who lived in the complexes off Rubber Ave cop's were at the complex 24/7. Have another friend lives near the Big Y belive it's Spring St...don't quote me. There is a trailer park community, a condo complex (really nice), and a 55+ complex. I'll try to pull up the name they look nice, secluded near route 8, near Big Y, and near Griffin Hospital medical clinic.

Naugy is in a slow flux of change, but good change. New restaurants are coming in and mew commercial space being developed. They are building a restaurant at the train station should be interesting when it starts. Relatively new Thai place in town. You have Wing It On and 66 Church Street good bars in town. More upscale restaurants like the Milestone Inn and Carmines.

There are 2 Thunderbird Dr on Mallane Ln. One is where the double wides are and other is the community do believe is 55+. Mallane Ln does lead up to nice complexes.

Old 05-26-2016, 10:10 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,730,901 times
The one I saw was in Lantern Park, I believe. It's down Rt 63 (? the road going toward Middlebury, where the lake is) and you take a left up a big hill and past a playground. I once met a mom at that playground who lived in that complex when my kids were little, but I am not sure of the name of the community.

I remember condos being down the road past Big Y, as if you were going to drive toward the Town Plot section of Waterbury. We are too young for 55+ communities.

I guess I should look at a map, as I can't remember street names anymore!

Old 05-26-2016, 10:13 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,625,561 times
Really no "unsafe sections" of town. The condos in Naugy are pretty standard 2 bedroom town house style. No frills, but fine. We lived in Brooke Valley (across from Walmart) when were first married and it was nice. There were more renters there at the time which brought a few odd things, but it didn't effect the quality of life too much. Since then, more owners moved in. I think it comes and goes.

Glen Hollow up Wooster St. is nice from what I remember. But I'd check out Hop Brook Condos as they seem much quieter than the other ones. Lantern Park has more than 2 bedrooms, but it's big. There are probably about 350 units there. Some of them are (or at least were) Section 8 which gave it a stigma and some are normal working class people. I work with a nurse who lives there (kids are grown, husband passed) and she's happy, but I'm not sure if you'd like it for your family. If that's what you are looking at, those condos tend to be lower priced.

As for the town, it has it's blue collar peeps, but there are plenty of professionals living there. The high school is a mix of kids from several economic levels and people I know there are happy with the schools. The decade of endless redistricting has ended and the high school renovation is absolutely gorgeous. If you have to start in a condo in Naugy, what's nice is that you can eventually move into something else. There's a diverse supply of housing stock there.

Old 05-26-2016, 10:17 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,625,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
The one I saw was in Lantern Park, I believe. It's down Rt 63 (? the road going toward Middlebury, where the lake is) and you take a left up a big hill and past a playground. I once met a mom at that playground who lived in that complex when my kids were little, but I am not sure of the name of the community.

I remember condos being down the road past Big Y, as if you were going to drive toward the Town Plot section of Waterbury. We are too young for 55+ communities.

I guess I should look at a map, as I can't remember street names anymore!
You'd have to ask someone how Lantern Park is now. Twenty years ago, it had a bad wrap because of some residents, but it's improved. Not sure if it's a big enough improvement for you though. I can ask some other people at work. Hop Brook I believe is the one heading toward Town Plot. We looked there years ago before we took the other condo and I'm pretty sure that's it. If not, then that's another nice location to check out.

Old 05-26-2016, 11:05 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,706,694 times
I feel safe in Lantern Park. Feel more renters, but feel rent is too high. The plus is you are near a walking path into Southbury, a State Park, Hop Brook Park, and a town park.

The hill to Lantern Park is a pain right before Lantern Park there are some new townhouse built as well.

There is some nice complexes in Waterbury on the Naugy line, but recommend renting instead of owning those.

Last edited by RunD1987; 05-26-2016 at 11:30 AM..

Old 05-28-2016, 12:35 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,689,373 times
All of Naugatuck is pretty safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut