Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 07:11 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Really don't see the issue sharing a bathroom with any sexes. Just can we make the toliets in a self contained box for privacy. What is the purpose of being able to reach underneath to the next stall or someone reach in from outside. Also people watching you through the crack. I like to do my business with out the idea of people watching or invading my toliet space.
In NYC I'm starting to see more genderless bathrooms-- All are intended to be occupied by one person at a time and have a toilet and a sink in a small self contained room-- about twice the size of an airplane washroom. My bet is that in total they don't take greater square footage than men's and women's rooms.

I think this is what we'll see with new buildings and renovations in the future. I prefer it to a communal arrangement.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:56 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,421,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
In NYC I'm starting to see more genderless bathrooms-- All are intended to be occupied by one person at a time and have a toilet and a sink in a small self contained room-- about twice the size of an airplane washroom. My bet is that in total they don't take greater square footage than men's and women's rooms.

I think this is what we'll see with new buildings and renovations in the future. I prefer it to a communal arrangement.
Communal arrangement is def not okay by me. I wouldn't want my wife (young and hot) alone in a Waterbury Walmart bathroom with some shady gang member...

But that's getting into a different issue, which I am much less okay with. Letting a transgender person (I'm stereotyping here that they are typically not a violent class of people) choose which bathroom they wish to use is one thing, eliminating gender bathrooms altogether is another, more dangerous issue.

Europe can do whatever they want. they're countries are size of our states and theyre plagued with all sorts of issues. I wouldn't use any particular country in Europe as a model for success, bathroom policy included. Norms are what they are for a reason. And since everyone loves diversity so much, we should preserve ours.

Old 05-18-2016, 11:01 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,421,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
You're a scientist, right? I'd recommend you go with the science on this one.

And yes, if you chop off your business you belong in the nut house. This is done by a physician and nothing about it is taken lightly.
Unfortunately, there's not much "science" to recommend. The genetics is mostly barren, psychology is part science part voodoo so don't really take whatever they say too seriously and neuroscience as of current only points fingers at differences through brain imagining , but this is not an explanation or understanding. Like an epidemiology study it just suggests some suspects for further investigation.

Anyway, absence of science is not evidence. I have no doubt there's sone genetic, biochemical and especially neurological factors involved with transsexual psychological manifestations. My biggest concern, and what I really don't understand, is why society gives a crap. This is no different than any other weird group of people. They are anything but heroes, I think most could agree with that. I wonder where all this fractional percent recognition ends. Why are transsexual ( the proper term) any more important than the people who feel like they're dogs, or can talk to plants , etc? Unlike gay rights, these people are not being constitutionally violated (unless they're gay too) so putting their "plight" on the main stage detracts from real problems with real solutions, at least from a policy, legal and ethics standpoint . To say I completely don't get it is an understatement.

Gender is a social construct. So Not identifyig with your "gender" is a bit different, in a very fundamental way, than not identifying with your sex. I would argue the latter belongs in the DSM as a personality disorder next to the people who believe they're aliens, or can speak with plants. People reject gender expectations all the time. For example, as a male, I'm supposed to like conventional sports. But there's nothing I like less. However, I do like my pecker, and prefer it stays on my body, so I'm definitely NOT a transsexual. Again, the latter is absurd and absolutely not normal. Live and let live. Doesn't bother me, but to expect society to waste time and resources?

Old 05-18-2016, 11:18 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,879,306 times
Quote:
No one was telling these people to be scared of transgender people before. No one was telling them that they should be throwing people out of bathrooms,” Toms said. “As if it wasn’t scary enough for transgender people to use the bathroom before.”
This quote from the article is the real problem now, I think. Don't people realize there were transgender people in the bathrooms before this? Did some adults in America JUST find out that transgender people exist? Talk about ignorance.

I've had friends called lesbians (in a much less nice way) before by strangers and I can only assume it was the short hair and the manner of their dress, which was comfortable and practical, but not particularly masculine (ie sports jerseys or oxford shirts and flat slacks) instead of heels and makeup.

People are so very stupid and sheltered! It's unbelievable almost.

Old 05-18-2016, 11:50 AM

505 posts, read 428,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
This quote from the article is the real problem now, I think. Don't people realize there were transgender people in the bathrooms before this? Did some adults in America JUST find out that transgender people exist? Talk about ignorance.

I've had friends called lesbians (in a much less nice way) before by strangers and I can only assume it was the short hair and the manner of their dress, which was comfortable and practical, but not particularly masculine (ie sports jerseys or oxford shirts and flat slacks) instead of heels and makeup.

People are so very stupid and sheltered! It's unbelievable almost.

Why? I can't recall meeting one of these people in CT (or meeting many/any at all). How many of them are even in the state? It must be a tiny percentage of the population (less than 1%?).

Old 05-18-2016, 11:57 AM

6,589 posts, read 4,975,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDex View Post
Why? I can't recall meeting one of these people in CT (or meeting many/any at all). How many of them are even in the state? It must be a tiny percentage of the population (less than 1%?).
You're assuming they have a particular "look" and they don't. They are people like the rest of us.

I've worked L/G/Trans events in the past, and know trans people. They look very much like what gender they identify with.

Old 05-18-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
You're assuming they have a particular "look" and they don't. They are people like the rest of us.

I've worked L/G/Trans events in the past, and know trans people. They look very much like what gender they identify with.
If someone has an operation and changes their gender they can't be "like the rest of us" (?)

Men and women look distinctly different. Even "feminine" looking men and "masculine" looking women are normally easy to tell apart.

I've seen some people that may fit this description in large cities, like NY, but didn't stop to ask. The percentage you are talking about must be really tiny - like 0.0001%- or something to that effect.

But how many of them are actually in the state?? Numbers?

Old 05-18-2016, 01:53 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,879,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDex View Post
I've never seen a lot of things and I still know they exist.

Of course, there aren't many transgender people, but the way some people talk now it's like they never existed before and now they are taking over the world. If there are so few, why are some people suddenly so upset by the fact that they go to the bathroom?

Old 05-18-2016, 02:02 PM

503 posts, read 530,588 times
Quote:

Of course, there aren't many transgender people, but the way some people talk now it's like they never existed before and now they are taking over the world. If there are so few, why are some people suddenly so upset by the fact that they go to the bathroom?
Phase 1: Transgender persons allowed into opposite sex bathroom

Phase 2: ?

Phase 3: Society collapses

Old 05-18-2016, 02:30 PM

Quote:

Knowing that something exists and then encountering it in person are 2 different things.

In this case it's pointless because the person in question was a regular girl. But the shock of actually meeting someone in the bathroom they thought was a man possibly caused the outburst.

or it could also be completely fictitious/attention seeking induced as some people have speculated earlier in the thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut