Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 08:17 AM
133 133 started this thread

45 posts, read 50,575 times

Advertisements

I never really understood Stamford as a whole. Never loved the town itself but I am opening up to the idea of looking at homes there but have no clue which areas are sought after. Can someone point me in the right direction so I can start tracking the market? Are there any neighborhoods that are charming, quaint; any areas similar to say Westport/Cos Cob even, that are convenient to the train (doesn't need to be walking distance)?

Tia,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2016, 08:45 AM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 133 View Post
I never really understood Stamford as a whole. Never loved the town itself but I am opening up to the idea of looking at homes there but have no clue which areas are sought after. Can someone point me in the right direction so I can start tracking the market? Are there any neighborhoods that are charming, quaint; any areas similar to say Westport/Cos Cob even, that are convenient to the train (doesn't need to be walking distance)?

Tia,

I am not an expert on Stamford neighborhoods but I know Shippan is very nice and right on the water but it is kind of far from the train station and does not have the village feel you ask for. North Stamford is also desirable but again it is not near the train station or a village. Springdale and Glenbrook are closer to what you want but I don't think they are the most desirable but I could be wrong. Maybe consider Rowayton in Norwalk for that feel and a train station. Jay

Old 12-12-2016, 08:50 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,182,753 times
North Stamford and Shippan. NS though is far from the train. Shippan is a desirable waterfront neighborhood. Both are more expensive than the rest. Glenbrook/Springdale is more middle class and would probably give the quickest resale.
Don't think there is anywhere charming or quaint left in coastal FFC. Maybe just Rowayton/Southport villages or downtowns New Canaan/Wilton.

Old 12-12-2016, 11:10 AM

2,008 posts, read 1,868,034 times
Why move somewhere you dont desire to live? ? Especially somewhere expensive like Stamford out of all places

Old 12-12-2016, 11:21 AM

14,056 posts, read 13,950,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 133 View Post

Tia,

Stamford is expensive

Old 12-12-2016, 11:42 AM

830 posts, read 1,094,390 times
Definitely check out Springdale and Glenbrook. Both are middle class with little town centers and Metro North stations (although on the New Canaan spur line), and both are seeing an increase in popularity as people look for good-value (for FFC) walkable towns with public transportation. Shippan is sought after for the waterfront but has no town and is cut-off from the rest of the city, and North Stamford offers larger pieces of land and is nice and private, but trends are shifting away from that sort of lifestyle.

Old 12-12-2016, 11:45 AM

830 posts, read 1,094,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I am not an expert on Stamford neighborhoods but I know Shippan is very nice and right on the water but it is kind of far from the train station and does not have the village feel you ask for. North Stamford is also desirable but again it is not near the train station or a village. Springdale and Glenbrook are closer to what you want but I don't think they are the most desirable but I could be wrong. Maybe consider Rowayton in Norwalk for that feel and a train station. Jay
Rowayton proper in Norwalk is almost on par with Darien in terms of pricing lately (very small area), but north of the train tracks you could find something more reasonable, even if it might be technically outside of Rowayton (Flax Hill area).

Old 12-12-2016, 12:31 PM

Thank you all. Although nice, I'm not interested in Rowayton.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:36 AM

328 posts, read 426,113 times
Check out Hubbard Heights, an historic enclave close to downtown and the new Stamford hospital. Once home to the city's upper class, especially doctors because of proximity to hospital, the canopied streets and ample properties make for a charming retreat to times gone by, when Stamford was a sedate bedroom community, not the high density bustling boom town it has become. They boast a very active neighborhood association dedicated to preserving a sense of livability.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lginlg View Post
Check out Hubbard Heights, an historic enclave close to downtown and the new Stamford hospital. Once home to the city's upper class, especially doctors because of proximity to hospital, the canopied streets and ample properties make for a charming retreat to times gone by, when Stamford was a sedate bedroom community, not the high density bustling boom town it has become. They boast a very active neighborhood association dedicated to preserving a sense of livability.
ty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut