Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 09:17 AM

35 posts, read 79,951 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My family and I have just arrived from the UK. Immediately I know what mistake I made.... I had our sled packed in the sea shipment, which will only arrive with us in a few weeks! My daughter may never forgive me!

I've searched the web and called all the big stores (Target, ToysRUs, Home Depot etc...) but no-one has a sled in stock - they're all getting summer stuff in now. (During some of the biggest snowfalls of the winter here - go figure.....)

We're staying in Stamford. Does anyone know of any stores which have (or may have) sleds in stock? All I'm looking for is a simple plastic one, nothing complicated.

More snow is expected this weekend and if I fail in this mission I'm afraid I may get fired from being a Dad. Either that or I'll be paying for being a 'bad parent' for the next twenty years...... (To invoke more sympathy, I've already had to cancel our first trip to the mountains tomorrow because of the storm )

So can you help?

Thanks

Sylko
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 09:33 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
It is kind of late in the season to be finding sleds around. You might try a used sporting goods store. The one I see listed is Instant Replay Sports on Hope Street. Another option may be a locally run toy store. Don't know of any particular ones but they may still have some on the shelf. The big retailers remove stock seasonally and you are right, now they are focusing on spring. Good luck, Jay

Old 02-29-2008, 09:53 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Go to a PowerSports type store that sells Jet Skis, "fun boats" etc and pick up one of the tow along "inner tubes" for riding behind the boats and such.

They make great sleds and I'm sure you can find one in stock. They are not cheap, however.

Good luck!

Edit: Like these -

Old 02-29-2008, 10:07 AM

18 posts, read 82,859 times
Try calling a local hardware store (i.e. Ace, not Home Depot). We bought two old-fashioned sleds (wood slats and metal runners) from a hardware store in our town a few years ago.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:16 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
Small hardware stores are a good idea. Some supermarkets still have them as well. I also saw some a few weeks ago at Benedict Agway (a feed and garden store) in Monroe.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:28 AM

95 posts, read 447,108 times
Give Keough's Turn of the River Hardware Store a call and see if they have any available (907 High Ridge Rd, Stamford - 322-1641).

Old 02-29-2008, 10:58 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,411,052 times
Walmart or maybe sports authority. Sleds are one of those things that pop up all over when you dont need one but hide real good when you do.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:02 PM

6 posts, read 38,345 times
Try the Darien Sport Shop

Old 02-29-2008, 06:22 PM

4,537 posts, read 12,397,477 times
If worse comes to worse, just get a really BIG piece of a cardboard box at an appliance or department store. It's better than nothing. You'll have to wait for the other folks to make the sledding hill packed and icy, but it works. And it's free.

Growing up in California almost no one had real snow equipment, so we learned how to find quick and easy solutions on a moment's notice.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:21 PM

35 posts, read 79,951 times
Default Thanks to you all, and the prize goes to...

...Shwee....

Keoughs at Turn of The River came up trumps. We're now proud owners of the most enormouse black plastic sled AND an inflatable ring. (Covering all bases).

I wish I could say that I've returned to the lofty heights of 'Best Dad' however my wife has stolen all the credit.... I had her take a ride to the store today so now my daughter thinks it was all Mum's idea....

Ah well.... such is life.....

So thanks to all who responded and extra thanks to Shwee.

Now, it'd better put down enough snow tonight.....

Sylko
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut