Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2013, 01:53 PM

12 posts, read 26,463 times

Advertisements

We just received our letter from New Haven Magnet Schools informing us that my DD was not accepted to any of her three choices, but is 6th on the wait list for her first choice. Anyone know how often kids actually manage to get OFF the wait list and get a seat in the school?

We are interdistrict if that matters.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 05:24 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,623,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinabc View Post
We just received our letter from New Haven Magnet Schools informing us that my DD was not accepted to any of her three choices, but is 6th on the wait list for her first choice. Anyone know how often kids actually manage to get OFF the wait list and get a seat in the school?

We are interdistrict if that matters.

Thanks!
Check out some stuff on the New Haven Independent. I know they ran a story of how the lottery system and wait list works and printed the actual documents. Then push for an elected school board so that the city returns to neighborhood schools rather than using state money to build all these schools their own residents get locked out of. Last sentence wasn't necessary. Sorry.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:57 AM

12 posts, read 26,463 times
Thanks, AMSS.

I've seen the NHIS articles. Guess I'm looking for actual experience anyone may have had in getting off the list.

Your last sentence is right and true and necessary. While I am thrilled that my child has the opportunity to get out of her own failing school where we currently live, I completely understand and support the view that these schools should be for neighborhood kids. It is ridiculous that a family cannot look around the city, see a neighborhood they like with a school they feel comfortable with and be able to move to that area and expect that their child will go to school at that neighborhood school. I can't imagine the transportation costs the city would save in just having kids WALK to a school a few blocks from their home. They should spend that transportation money to get ALL their schools to be great schools.

We are actually looking to move to NH in the fall. I was told that (providing we can first actually get my DD a seat) if we move over the summer we would loose the seat because we would be going from interdistrict to NH resident, but that if we moved once the school year started that they would allow her to retain the seat. If we move over the summer and try to get into a "good" neighborhood, there is no guarantee she would be able to go to the good neighborhood school. Who knows where they would send her?!

Anyway.. thanks for your reply.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:38 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,134,556 times
So disturbing that the quality of a child's education can be determined by lottery.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:42 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,167,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
So disturbing that the quality of a child's education can be determined by lottery.
Not really when you think about it Mark. Most of the "quality" results from what family you were born into, something we have no control over.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:34 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,134,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Not really when you think about it Mark. Most of the "quality" results from what family you were born into, something we have no control over.
True. However, I don't find that fact terribly equitable -- nor comforting.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:25 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,623,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinabc View Post
Thanks, AMSS.

I've seen the NHIS articles. Guess I'm looking for actual experience anyone may have had in getting off the list.

Your last sentence is right and true and necessary. While I am thrilled that my child has the opportunity to get out of her own failing school where we currently live, I completely understand and support the view that these schools should be for neighborhood kids. It is ridiculous that a family cannot look around the city, see a neighborhood they like with a school they feel comfortable with and be able to move to that area and expect that their child will go to school at that neighborhood school. I can't imagine the transportation costs the city would save in just having kids WALK to a school a few blocks from their home. They should spend that transportation money to get ALL their schools to be great schools.

We are actually looking to move to NH in the fall. I was told that (providing we can first actually get my DD a seat) if we move over the summer we would loose the seat because we would be going from interdistrict to NH resident, but that if we moved once the school year started that they would allow her to retain the seat. If we move over the summer and try to get into a "good" neighborhood, there is no guarantee she would be able to go to the good neighborhood school. Who knows where they would send her?!

Anyway.. thanks for your reply.
Sorry I couldn't be more of a help. I wish you good luck, though. And please post back as I'm curious myself as to how everything works out and if changes will be made.

Old 04-06-2017, 11:35 AM

2 posts, read 2,465 times
Was your DD admitted. I have twins and we are on waiting list for both.

Old 04-06-2017, 11:43 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramya.srr View Post
Was your DD admitted. I have twins and we are on waiting list for both.
Unfortunately the OP has not been back to our forum in more than two years. JayCT, Moderator

Old 04-06-2017, 11:50 AM

2 posts, read 2,465 times
Thank you for letting me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: