Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2017, 06:43 PM

123 posts, read 233,411 times

Advertisements

Our basement is flooding from all this rain. Who do we call first? Its a finished basement with carpeting, couches, tv....ugh!!! Not even sure if we have a sump pump. Feel really ignorant right now...

Thanks for any advice,

Heather
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 07:14 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,976,844 times
In my town the fire department will pump out a flooded basement, but I do not know if all towns do this.

Old 04-06-2017, 07:54 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,314,125 times
Fire department can in some towns like what RogerAnthony said.

What's the company that has the commercials where they said," we're the all things basement-y company!"? Whatever that company may be (I can't think of it on the top of my head) they could offer services that will help drain the water out.

Old 04-06-2017, 07:58 PM

2,668 posts, read 4,498,040 times
ServPro, but also contact your insurance cause your most likely going to end up with a dump pump system install and replacement treatment of drywall up to a certain distance from the floor, new carpeting, etc.

Old 04-13-2017, 01:21 AM

1 posts, read 819 times
How about hiring a dehumidifier?

Old 04-13-2017, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basementfinishing99 View Post
How about hiring a dehumidifier?
OP is talking about water in the basement not humidity and dampness. The best thing to help dry out the area once the water is gone are a few industrial blower fans. These can be rented from most stores but locally A to Z in North Haven has them if the OP has not already called someone like ServPro.

Old 04-13-2017, 04:15 AM

83,527 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hconstan View Post
Our basement is flooding from all this rain. Who do we call first? Its a finished basement with carpeting, couches, tv....ugh!!! Not even sure if we have a sump pump. Feel really ignorant right now...

Thanks for any advice,

Heather
That sucks Heather. Hope you found someone. Do you know why its flooding? That's important so you can try to prevent it from happening again. Mine used to flood when I first moved in but once I fixed the slope near foundation and gutters I never had a problem. Hopefully its a fixable solution for you and not reuire French drains or anything crazy

After you pump the water out (which I assume you have since the 6th) Make sure there are fans down there to dry EVERYTHING out properly. Mold can develop on one thing and spread. Make sure it's windy down there in every spot and warm if possible. Get a dehumidifier as well to take out any remaining moisture in air. Open all windows and doors. Good luck.

Old 04-13-2017, 08:23 AM

570 posts, read 477,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
That sucks Heather. Hope you found someone. Do you know why its flooding? That's important so you can try to prevent it from happening again. Mine used to flood when I first moved in but once I fixed the slope near foundation and gutters I never had a problem. Hopefully its a fixable solution for you and not reuire French drains.
Heather,

Take this advice. I had old stone foundation years ago that leaked like crazy. Basement flooded several times and was beyond stressful. It was my first home and I knew nothing. Here is what I know now:

1. Avoid "waterproof basement solution" businesses like mid Atlantic. They upsell big basement remodels and charge insane prices

2. Better to keep water away before it enters. Clean, working gutters and property regrading are top priorites. Most cost effective solution

3. If #2 does not solve it then you may need exterior French drain and membrane on foundation. Big bucks to dig around entire foundation and install.

4. Inside basment, you 100% need a sump pump properly installed with battery backup. Interior French drain is possible too.

Good luck

Old 04-13-2017, 08:37 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,181,513 times
Buy a raised ranch next time

Old 04-13-2017, 08:45 AM

Like cam said I worked from the outside of the house. We have a spot that constantly leaked in rain, I quickly resolved to fix the drainage around the home. All the downspouts ended right near the foundation with little slope away. It results in puddles, mud, and poor landscaping. This was right when we bought the home so I took our first big project to reroute and regrade. I built two large dry wells and dropped 15 tons of drainage stone between the two of them (6x6x6' holes) in the front and side of the house. Then ran all the downspouts underground to these wells followed by adding dirt dug up covered in weedblock fabric then mulch at a slop to divert water away from the foundation.

The result is no more water issues, we have a small ground water problem in the back under the deck but that is only in extreme circumstances where we get several inches over days like recently and the ground water literally has nowhere to go.

It also helped to have family in the landscaping business with equipment to borrow.

And here is an idea of the type of grading that was done when I created new beds. Essentially I covered up to where the foundation met the siding, a good 8-10".

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut