Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 05:22 PM

11 posts, read 11,423 times

Advertisements

I hope to get some advice. My mom who is in her late 70s wants to get closer to her grandchildren and my sister who lives in Fairfield. I'd be the one helping her to find a place and pay for it. I have a hard time paying the high rents so I was thinking it might make more sense to invest in a one or two bedroom condo. I'd prefer to keep it under 400K
So, does anyone have suggestions on where to look? I'd like to find a well managed community that attracts other older residents.
Thank you for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 07:04 AM

570 posts, read 478,102 times
Hi. There are lots of posts on Fairfield recently. Jay is resident expert. I think we will need more info. Where is your sister? Does she want walking distance to there? Beach, town, or woods? Quick access to transit or hospitals? Does she drive?

Old 03-31-2016, 08:10 AM

34,948 posts, read 56,970,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardi92 View Post
I hope to get some advice. My mom who is in her late 70s wants to get closer to her grandchildren and my sister who lives in Fairfield. I'd be the one helping her to find a place and pay for it. I have a hard time paying the high rents so I was thinking it might make more sense to invest in a one or two bedroom condo. I'd prefer to keep it under 400K
So, does anyone have suggestions on where to look? I'd like to find a well managed community that attracts other older residents.
Thank you for your help.
Fairfield has a number of condos around town but none specifically geared toward seniors. There may be one or two 55+ but they are not large. I had an elderly family member that was considering a similar move in Fairfield. They had looked at condos at Dogwood Green, Strathmore, Southport Woods and Quincy. These were one floor units with minimal steps to climb that were actually lower in price than $400,000. You might check them out. Jay

Old 03-31-2016, 08:12 AM

4,458 posts, read 3,353,574 times
My mother-in-law is in her late eightes and she lives in Fairfield near the Block Rock Turnpike in the Stratfield section. My sister-in-law lives near there too. My husband and I live in Trumbull. I think it is a wonderful area for a senior to live. There are many stores near by. My mother-in-law does not drive anymore but when she did it was a short drive to just about anything she needed. Now that she does not drive there is the Drug Store Lupes on the Blackrock Turnpike and they deliver. There is a Shoprite Grocery Store on the Blackrock turnpike which is convenient but they do not deliver but the Stop & Shop has home delivery. Now that my mother-in-law in in her late 80's and needs some help we have aids going to help her 3 days a week to clean, shop etc.

Me, my sister-in-law and my husband could not be any more happy with the way things have turned out with her living in Fairfield near the Black Rock Turnpike. I keep telling my mother-in-law she can come live with us any time but she loves living in Fairfield and wants to stay there independent as long as possible.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:16 AM

34,948 posts, read 56,970,098 times
Oh yeah, I forgot that there was another they looked at on Park Avenue. I think it was called Park Ridge. They ended up just staying in their small ranch house instead because they found the HOA fees to be higher than if the just paid for having someone maintain their home for them. Not sure if that would be a consideration for you. Jay

Old 03-31-2016, 08:20 AM

4,458 posts, read 3,353,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
They had looked at condos at Dogwood Green, Strathmore, Southport Woods and Quincy. These were one floor units with minimal steps to climb that were actually lower in price than $400,000. You might check them out. Jay
I second the condos on Stratfield Road like Dogwood Green. I did a logo for a veterans charity and the ladies who I did it for lived in the Dogwood Green condos. So I was in a few of them and they seemed very nice. I asked the ladies if they liked living there and they said they liked it very much.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:13 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,182,251 times
We have good friends who live in Southport Woods, nice complex in a better location. They have a great pool, clubhouse, paddle tennis courts,etc. Prices are right around $400K give or take.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:38 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,704,457 times
Not Fairfield per se, but doesn't Trumbull have a 55+ condo complex? Think reasonably priced.

Old 03-31-2016, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Yank View Post
Hi. There are lots of posts on Fairfield recently. Jay is resident expert. I think we will need more info. Where is your sister? Does she want walking distance to there? Beach, town, or woods? Quick access to transit or hospitals? Does she drive?
My sister is in the Holland Hill area although my mom doesn't need to be on top of her. She drives, she's just getting tired of the highway driving from NJ. Walking distance to town would be great but not necessary.

Old 03-31-2016, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Oh yeah, I forgot that there was another they looked at on Park Avenue. I think it was called Park Ridge. They ended up just staying in their small ranch house instead because they found the HOA fees to be higher than if the just paid for having someone maintain their home for them. Not sure if that would be a consideration for you. Jay

I actually have thought about this. I'm a little nervous about taking on the maintenance of an older home, but I know my mom would love a small garden. She's still pretty active.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: