Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2018, 10:36 AM

1 posts, read 973 times

Advertisements

Was a NJ Pass holder and finally decided to get NY Pass because of some additional discounts I can get with Port Authority passes. Now I was going to hang onto NJ for parkway and turnpike but just learned my times of travel isn’t getting me any discounts in NJ. I’m concerned about being double charged on the NY passings because i’m With both agencies. Thinking just getting rid of NJ but want to make sure NY picks up the parkway and NJ turnpike tolls. This whole Ezpass things is rediculous. It really should be federally regulated and not a state by state thing. On road so much, and the tolls are killing me. Any advise?

Old 10-20-2018, 11:09 AM

88,614 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrwerner13 View Post
Was a NJ Pass holder and finally decided to get NY Pass because of some additional discounts I can get with Port Authority passes. Now I was going to hang onto NJ for parkway and turnpike but just learned my times of travel isn’t getting me any discounts in NJ. I’m concerned about being double charged on the NY passings because i’m With both agencies. Thinking just getting rid of NJ but want to make sure NY picks up the parkway and NJ turnpike tolls. This whole Ezpass things is rediculous. It really should be federally regulated and not a state by state thing. On road so much, and the tolls are killing me. Any advise?
New York does pick up the parkway and NJ Turnpike tolls. EZ-pass in NY and NJ is actually part of a group of states and authorities (there are 14, IIRC--I had to facilitate a phone call between them once when they were trying to agree upon the selection of a law firm to handle the legal aspects of the EZ-Pass group.)

However, they each seem to have their own discounts they can set. I had a NJ EZ-pass and worked for a while in Brooklyn, which meant I drove over the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge. With a NY EZ-pass you get a discount on that bridge, but not with a NJ. However, I could get the Port Authority discount for driving over the Staten Island Bridges X amount of times per month.

I don't know the answer to your question about what happens if you have two EZ-passes and are using facilities covered by both. Could you get double-charged? The person I used to know who worked in an EZ-Pass office retired, or I would ask her.

Old 10-20-2018, 02:15 PM

6,139 posts, read 5,109,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrwerner13 View Post
You can user your NY-issued EZPass confidently in NJ and surrounding states (I've used mine in NJ, PA, MA for example). You won't get double-charged unless you forgot to take your NJ transponder out of your car!

Old 10-21-2018, 12:55 PM

83,539 posts, read 75,373,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
You won't get double-charged unless you forgot to take your NJ transponder out of your car!
Right. The only reason we get charged is because the beam scans our device. No scan...No charge. So the OP just needs to leave 1 at home or wrap it in tin foil so the scanner doesn't pick it up. (I'm guess tin foil will stop it)

Old 10-21-2018, 06:18 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
This thread is off topic to the Connecticut forum so I am closing it down. The OP may be better off asking this on the New York or New Jersey forums. JayCT, Moderator
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: