Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2022, 09:52 AM

2 posts, read 1,373 times

Advertisements

Hello all, new to the forums.

I'm curious if anyone has recommendations for an area in CT that would be nice for a NYC weekend/ vacation home within the budget. Not really interested in the Hamptons.

-Needs to be in a town with a train stop as an alternative to driving each time
-Appropriate for the purpose of a weekend and vacation home (feel like a retreat from the city)
-Some view of water? Wondering where is possible if we want to do waterfront
-Nice town with a selection of restaurants and facilities (something like Southport is way too small)

Will spend the day exploring the towns on the Metronorth to familiarize myself but I wanted to ask the forum first
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2022, 10:12 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
How far are you willing to go?

At that budget, Fairfield and Milford seem like the obvious candidates for what you're looking for, for waterfront property, near a good downtown with good food/shopping and a reasonable train trip. Both have downtowns that are directly linked to the train station, too, and the trains aren't far from the water. Lots of sandy beaches. You'll get more waterfront home for the money once you go past Fairfield, for sure, and a more laid back feel.

Check out the Fort Trumbull, Gulf Beach, and East Broadway neighborhoods in Milford - all very close to downtown and very nice. Lots of NY plates in those areas.

I'd have said Rowayton, but budget will be tight for waterfront, and the town is similarly small like Southport. Westport IMO is a bit too much of a commuter town to feel like vacation, though there are some nice, and very expensive waterfront areas.

If you want to feel more removed and even more of a vacation feel, I'd look at Branford/Guilford/Madison. You may find bigger lots at your price range too. Being near New Haven isn't a bad thing, phenomenal food scene and culture. But you're looking at a longer ride with a transfer now.

You'll notice in Fairfield/Milford, waterfront pickings are slim. And teardowns are very common. There's a reason for that! It's coveted real estate and there's no more of it being made.

Last edited by Stylo; 06-29-2022 at 10:21 AM..

Old 06-29-2022, 10:18 AM

785 posts, read 823,318 times
Saugatuck Shores

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...0_M36743-64257

Old 06-29-2022, 11:07 AM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
I agree with Stylo. Fairfield and Milford would be your best choices. For that budget you could get a beachfront home in either town. Fairfield is closer to New York so you’d get less for your money there. Fairfield Center has a number of excellent restaurants as well as a nice selection of stores. Below is a link to a house right on Fairfield Beach.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...57302463_zpid/

Like Fairfield, Milford offers a lot of dining and shopping options. Here’s a couple beach homes that are for sale there. Jay

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...57943555_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...57943492_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...57949113_zpid/

Old 06-29-2022, 11:45 AM

1st and 3rd are in stunning areas. Nice thing about Point Lookout is it’s elevated and won’t flood. It also has a really nice little private beach.

2nd is over listed by a lot IMO. Interesting house, but won’t sell at that price.

Old 06-29-2022, 12:05 PM

6,876 posts, read 3,726,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerisgood02 View Post
Saugatuck Shores
Bingo on Saugatuck Shores, it's a peninsula/island with a more contemporary style beachy vibe. It's really amazing and unique.

To tack on, West of New Haven I'd put Rowayton/Tokenoke at the top of list, hands down no question. Google Shakespeare on the Sound, Sails, Rowayton Seafood. This area oozes charm and character like nothing else west of New Haven.
Nearby, don't sleep on Harborview, a gem here no one knows about. It's surrounding by open untouched marsh lands and a large expansive protected wildlife preserve. They have their own playground and tennis courts and an island just offshore where everyone moors boats and kayaks. It's really unbelievable.

Fairfield and Milford would be softer on the budget but you get more of an in town living among the rank and file masses feel. Futher down I think it's called Beach Rd in Fairfiled would be good to look at too. One side is the Sound and the other is a cove/inlet.

For a real getaway New England vacation atmosphere head further out East past New Haven.

Old 06-29-2022, 12:24 PM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
A weekend getaway for $3m?

Branford, Guilford or Madison - in that order.

Old 06-29-2022, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
: Fairfield and Milford would be softer on the budget but you get more of an in town living among the rank and file masses feel. Futher down I think it's called Beach Rd in Fairfiled would be good to look at too. One side is the Sound and the other is a cove/inlet.
I don’t live in Fairfield but can tell you that you’re wrong on Milford. There’s many spots, like our neighborhood, where it feels like a properly beachy getaway. That’s why we’ve stayed despite WFH. Rank and file masses, not at all.

Old 06-29-2022, 12:56 PM

6,876 posts, read 3,726,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I don’t live in Fairfield but can tell you that you’re wrong on Milford. There’s many spots, like our neighborhood, where it feels like a properly beachy getaway. That’s why we’ve stayed despite WFH. Rank and file masses, not at all.
Woodmont? yeah I don't know about that, in a getaway feeling kind of way? I'm struggling with that, but maybe. By rank and file I meant just by general fulltime population, nothing to do with incomes.

Old 06-29-2022, 02:21 PM

514 posts, read 442,049 times
With that budget you can have your own Island.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...?ex=2944430224

Or something like this, which needs updates but stunning views.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...?ex=2944622215
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut