Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2007, 11:12 AM

1 posts, read 4,275 times

Advertisements

We've lived in a large company-managed apartment building for about 8 months and are asked whether we want to renew our lease (already a problem, since it is more than 4 months before its end and as graduate students who might go abroad for research work, it is a major gamble whatever we decide). The real problem, however, is that the landlord offers a new price for the place which represents more than 4.5% increase on what we've been paying. Both of us lived in different places also in New Haven before where no such automatic increases were applied. None of my friends who also live around town have experienced any rent increases without major work being done to their apartments. Do you think it is unreasonable for us to refuse the increase and to want to renew our contract at the same price we've been paying till now? We are otherwise exemplary tenants and have had no previous fights or any other problems with our landlord company.

I would appreciate any advice, personal experiences or comments (especially if there are any landlords on this forum - how does it seem from your point of view)?

Thanks,

H2M
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2007, 11:19 AM

2,102 posts, read 7,757,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hate2move View Post
We've lived in a large company-managed apartment building for about 8 months and are asked whether we want to renew our lease (already a problem, since it is more than 4 months before its end and as graduate students who might go abroad for research work, it is a major gamble whatever we decide). The real problem, however, is that the landlord offers a new price for the place which represents more than 4.5% increase on what we've been paying. Both of us lived in different places also in New Haven before where no such automatic increases were applied. None of my friends who also live around town have experienced any rent increases without major work being done to their apartments. Do you think it is unreasonable for us to refuse the increase and to want to renew our contract at the same price we've been paying till now? We are otherwise exemplary tenants and have had no previous fights or any other problems with our landlord company.

I would appreciate any advice, personal experiences or comments (especially if there are any landlords on this forum - how does it seem from your point of view)?

Thanks,

H2M
As a real estate agent, I cannot give legal advice. However, if you have a lease signed by both parties, you have a contract. Whoever attempts to modify the contract is breaking the original agreement allowing the other party to pursue legal action.

As for the increase, your landlord can charge as much as (s)he wants after this contract concludes. If (s)he cashes any additional checks beyond the current lease term, the landlord has then agreed to a month-to-month continuation of the original contract and its terms.

Old 03-07-2007, 12:13 PM

179 posts, read 294,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hate2move View Post

Thanks,

H2M

It seems to happen in a lot of places. Costs of living go up thats the way it is. A year has gone by, many things have gotten more expensive since last year. I know what you're dealing with tho, I hate the raise every year in rent b/c they know they already have you wanting to come back since you're already moved in and comfortable where you are. I think that is a small part of the reason they do it. Maybe time to ask your current employer for more hours or a cost of living raise. The landlord does have the right to raise the price, but if that drives you out and they are unable to soon after find someone to fill your spot then they are not gaining money. Bring that up if you choose to refuse, along with your above par tenantship and the fact that you will seek housing elsewhere. Good luck!

Old 03-07-2007, 12:32 PM

985 posts, read 5,758,218 times
Legally, they cannot increase your rent until you complete the lease agreement. However, once the lease term is up, the company certainly can increase the rent.

I don't know about CT market. I know certainly apartment in Georgia increase by 10% last year. 5 to 6% is commonplace here. That's all because of mortgage rate increase. There are a lot more people who demand the apartment now then before because they cannot afford to buy first time house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: