Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2018, 11:00 AM

7 posts, read 4,774 times

Advertisements

I moved to Terryville about six months ago, and found myself in a situation last night where I was considering going to the ER overnight instead of waiting until this morning to go to Urgent Care (nothing life threatening). Thankfully right now I feel better so I am for the time being, going to pass up on that.

I was going to go to Bristol Hospital. Makes perfect sense given its location but when trying to look up other area hospitals I was shocked by the not just bad, but rather horrid reviews Bristol Hospital has. St. Mary's in Waterbury seemed a little better with reviews, but still would not be considered good. Charlotte Hungerford (I think that was the name) in Torrington seemed better, as did a place in Southington, and while they are longer drives I'd go to either if I could have confidence. But even with the better reviewed ones, they didn't wow me either.

I tried looking here for advice but I only see hospitals in Fairfield County mentioned. I hope that I do not have to drive that far!

Does anyone have good suggestions for this area of the state, or could make me feel better then one of the mentioned places is not that bad? I don't need a hospital that specializes in anything, or any particular emergency service. This is just for a basic recommendation for a hospital that treats you like a respectable person when you go to the ER.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 06:26 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,437,897 times
I think like all reviews, most people only leave them when they are angry not happy with service. You should also take into account that obviously the people leaving the reviews are only telling their side of the story.

I have used the hospital for multiple needs over the years. I would say overall that you will get as good ER care there as anywhere else. If you had a particular need regarding surgery etc then obviously the doctor you use comes in to play and then I'd research specific doctors instead of just blindly going with one hospital over another.

As far as ER care....I'd go with bristol for the convenience of location and standard ER care you'd get in most places. Obviously wait times come into play. Most people are likely to have a better experience when they don't have to wait long, but crowds fluctuate and all ER's can have problems with that. Overall I found the employees to be very caring and helpful. However, every hospital has one of those grouchy, always annoyed nurses and bristol was no exception to that!

Last edited by KH02; 03-11-2018 at 06:35 AM..

Old 03-12-2018, 11:49 AM

1,292 posts, read 1,978,217 times
I live in Thomaston and I will only use Charlotte Hungerford Hospital now. People there are friendly and wait times are minimal. I have used Waterbury Hospital twice and it was pretty disastrous with long wait times and medical staff that did not seem to know their stuff well. I have never used Bristol Hospital because I know a number of people who have had negative experiences with it.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:27 PM

752 posts, read 554,718 times
I have personal bad experience with Bristol Hospital. I would not recommend them.

Old 03-12-2018, 04:30 PM

7,520 posts, read 13,636,965 times
Another alternative might be the The Hospital of Central Connecticut- New Britain

It is about same distance as C-H in Torrington. Both my daughter and son-in-law each have been to their ER, and were treated well.

https://goo.gl/maps/sjZEvS6B44P2

https://thocc.org/locations/new-britain-general-campus

Old 03-12-2018, 06:19 PM

1,930 posts, read 2,042,126 times
I would probably go to Charlotte for convenience sake. It is a nice community hospital. I won't go to either of the Waterbury ERs and I am closer to them than you are.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:19 PM

7 posts, read 4,774 times
Thanks to everyone for the responses.

About 10 years or so ago where I used to live (not in CT), when I was working nights, I went to a hospital's ER on my day off for foot pain. When I worked full time nights, I stayed up all night on my days off as well to keep a regular sleep schedule. So I went to this ER at 3am. 3am for me then was like 3pm for the average person. So for me, it was very much a normal time. I got yelled at my the ER doctor about "Why couldn't this wait until morning?" When he first said that, I figured he was joking, but it turned out he was quite serious. It ended up being an awful experience. I was having flashbacks to that when I was considering going to the hospital overnight on a Friday night around 2am, and saw the horrid reviews for Bristol Hospital. I figured I would be treated just as poorly. Seeing the negativity towards that hospital tells me that's a place to avoid.

I will go to Charlotte Hungerford in the future. Though I will have to look at that place in New Britain that was mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut