Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 12:42 PM

114 posts, read 327,966 times

Advertisements

My family and I are relocating to the Danbury Ct area. I am wondering if anyone knows of, or is interested in, starting a support group for parents of kids with severe life threatening food allergies? My son is 3 and a half and has allergies to eggs, peanuts, tree nuts and dairy. I know I would love some company on this journey!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 07:32 PM

23 posts, read 100,088 times
hi there is an organization called flaag.org
they are out of new haven wonderful people
great info very helpful
my daughter has peanut treenut and egg allergy she is 3
iam sarting ot get very nervous about school

Old 06-13-2007, 12:43 PM

Thanks so much. I sent my son to a small preschool this year, just two mornings a week (I stay very close by). The school is totally nut free and he has done very well. I want to send him this upcoming year as well and I hope to find something once we move. I never imagined that I would be able to send him to school because his allergies are so severe but after talking with other parents in similar situations I found that it is possible and good for the kids. It takes a ton of preparation but it is really worth it. Good luck and thanks for the info.

Old 06-14-2007, 05:10 AM

999 posts, read 4,653,458 times
The year my daughter started K there were so many allergic kids in K they made the school nut free. It made it easier for the parents to become a little less concerned, however I did notice a child eating a pb sandwich at lunch one day (the allergic kids still ate at a separate table) and I was very concerned, mentioned it to the teacher. Good luck with finding a support group, I knew several families with severely allergic kids and noone mentioned support groups though.

Old 07-03-2007, 05:48 AM

3 posts, read 16,276 times
Default In the same boat

We are also relocating to CT but southeastern. I was originally going to send my son to a Montessori school because they are willing to go nut free but I am now on a search for nut free public schools in the area because I am nut comfortable with the nut free table idea. He is entering 1st grade and has always been in a nut free school / child care setting. I will keep you posting on my findings. I know there are plenty of nut allergic children and support groups it's just finding one close to home. Good luck. Haappy to talk anytime.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:08 AM

Thanks Tia,
We have finally found a house in Brookfield and now my search for a school is really beginning. One pre-school I found has a school nurse (which I like) but it is not nut-free. They have strict allergy policies with a strong action plan, several children with multiple severe food allergies but still not nut free. So I am conflicted. Tia, I am curious about your thoughts on the nut free table?

Old 07-14-2007, 07:26 PM

Default Nut Free Table Opinion

Personally, I am not happy with the nut free table arrangement for several reasons. I don't think it deals with the possible contact contamination that occurs on equipment, door handles, etc. and it creates a stigma by segregating food allergic children from the rest. Moving to a new community can be hard enough to adjust to but throwing in the "different" title can make the adjustment even harder, at least initially. I think that elimnating a food item such as nuts should not be such a big deal. I do feel that educating people as to the severity of a life and death allery is an important step prior attempting to go "nut free" in any setting. How do you feel? I haven't had luck in finding a nut free school yet or support group but I'm still searching.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:49 AM

Tia,
I have found 2 schools in Newtown that are totally nut free. One is Montessori and the other is Catholic. Unfortunately, we are not moving anywhere close to either of these schools! Yes, cross contamination is a huge concern for me and my son's peanut/nut allergy causes us the most anxiety. I couldn't agree with you more, eliminating something like peanuts and nuts shouldn't be a "big deal" We are in Canada until the end of the month and all the schools here are peanut/nut free and have been for over 10 years. These schools also don't have lunch programs (for the most part) so the parents are managing to pack peanut free lunches every single day.

Old 07-18-2007, 05:41 PM

Default Nut Free

Canada is way ahead of us in the area of food allergies and has been for some time. I hope we catch up. I don't know what we will end up doing for school this year but we don't have much time left. It is a shame that the "nut free" schools aren't available all over but I may work to push for it in southeast Ct and midcoast Maine. It seems that the elimination of nuts in the environment where our children spend the second greatest amount of time should not be alot to ask. Section 504 is a help but elimination is the best option of all. I urge you to talk with the school your child will attend and stressthe severity of the allergy. A reaction can be a greater issue for a school in the long run.

Old 08-11-2007, 01:14 PM

1 posts, read 5,349 times
Default new peanut allergy

Hi

We just found out last week that my 2 year old daughter is allergic to peanuts/tree nuts. I am having just a horrible time coping with this and I never really knew how involved/life-changing it can be. I live in Fairfield County and am looking for a support group of some kind to help me through this. And insite or words of advice? I just feel like I have this life of paranoia/anxiety ahead of me. HELP!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut