Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 12:51 PM
Bo Bo started this thread Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,123,272 times

Advertisements

Gadgetbox - Five gadgets that will be dead in five years

Quote:
If there's one thing that's predictable in the technology world, it's that things change. Products that were commonplace ten years ago (PDAs, CRT televisions, fax machines) are quickly fading with the sands of time.Today, there are many products we take for granted that will likely be dead in five years.
The list of devices in the article is as follows:

In-car portable navigation systems

Computer DVD/CD-ROM

Wireless routers

Netbooks

E-readers

Due to the copyright rules at City-Data, I can't quote the reasons. You can read them at the link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 05:08 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,035,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Gadgetbox - Five gadgets that will be dead in five years

The list of devices in the article is as follows:

They are probably right about this, but not because of smart phones. More then likely the decline is because of new cars that have GPS built in.

Quote:
Computer DVD/CD-ROM
It should happen, but probably wont. There will always be those who want to hold on to yesterdays technology. Some people will still be insisting on only buying a computer with an optical drive for a long time to come.

Quote:
Wireless routers
This is total BS. Even if broadband internet providers do start packaging wireless capabilities, it wont make wireless routers obsolete. It just means that ISPs will be packaging them with their service. Anyways I think it's unlikely to happen. Most ISPs will be too cheap to provide a wireless router with the service, and most of the current home gateways offed by ISPs are crap anyway.

Quote:
Netbooks
Not convinced. As long as there are manufactures who are willing to make and sell cheap netbooks, there will be a demand them, and they will work for some people. Lager notebooks, and tablets are not a solution for everyone who wants/needs an ultra-lightweight portable laptop.

Quote:
E-readers
This is obvious, that tablets which can do more will replace e-readers.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:45 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,057,988 times
Quote:
Probably

Quote:
Computer DVD/CD-ROM
Probably

Quote:
Wireless routers
No way. Advanced users will still want to purchase their own routers and customize and hack them. Maybe the modem/router combos from the ISP will be sufficient for computer illiterates, but not for power users.

Quote:
Netbooks
Agreed. Netbooks are everything people complained about full-size laptops back in the late 90s/early 2000s.

Quote:
E-readers
Definitely

Old 05-12-2011, 10:29 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,206,697 times
I started addressing the points of the OP but I realized there are serious flaws in this technobabble article.

The in car GPS, I'll buy this one..

But the rest? Like CD/DVD being dead because you can download programs in seconds? And what about all the people who don't have ultra fast home connections? What about family members who burn CD/DVD's for distant family members? The average D/L might be 11Mbps but the upload speeds sure as hell aren't.

Wireless routers, another lame projection based on "everyone" will own a smartphone... What about everyone else who has their house full of laptops/desktops and gaming consoles?

Netbooks? for people who have never owned a computer before they are still a bargain..

E-readers will go extinct because tablets like the iPad do so much more.
What about the numerous people who just want to read a newspaper and not spend 500 -800 bucks for something they'll have no use for?

I wonder if and when MSNBC will come up with something that makes sense.....

Last edited by plwhit; 05-12-2011 at 10:45 PM..

Old 05-14-2011, 10:52 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,022,277 times
What a junk story. They're just functions that will be done in a device that has a different name, but still a device performing the function. It's like saying the automobile will become obsolete, replaced by the SUV that can do everything that an automobile can do, and more.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:23 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,439,940 times
The only thing on the list I see being obsolete is the e-reader. CD/DVD ROMS? Are you serious? Check back in another 15 years, maybe!

Old 05-19-2011, 03:02 PM

8,420 posts, read 7,422,672 times
E-Readers? I read one suggestion that Amazon, B&N, et al simply give away their e-readers for free if the consumer purchases more than $100 in books/subscriptions on-line. The cost of the e-reader is simply wrapped up in the content sold - sort of like how you can get a "free" cell-phone with a two-year contract.

Old 05-19-2011, 03:28 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,013,955 times
Just look at the rubbish bin of old technology:
Syquest drives, Zip and Jazz Drives. floppy disks, Scsci, Serial and Parallel Connections, Dial-up modems and thats just what I can think of in 30 seconds...

Old 05-20-2011, 07:54 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,543,062 times
Sounds like iPad propaganda, also known as bull excrement. Apple and the cellular providers would love to replace all but the DVD/CD drive with their overprices subpar options, mainly the iPhone and iPad. The DVD/CD were just thrown in because iPads don't have optical drives.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:20 AM

6,812 posts, read 9,363,742 times
I guess I agree with the portable GPS unit, but I'm not so sure about the others. I still prefer to buy software on DVD, even though the ability to download software from major vendors has been available for quite some time.

I read something about the possibility of the federal government mandating backup cameras in all vehicles. I'm not sure if this ever passed or not? If this is the case, however, then I suppose if manufacturers are already going to go through the trouble of including an in-dash screen somewhere, they would probably also add navigation capabilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics