Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 05:38 AM

973 posts, read 1,453,154 times

Advertisements

We have finally moved up into modern tvs...lol. Got a hd flat screen. I think someone is gifting us a blu-ray player so I started looking at movies to go with it.

Does blu-ray enhance the look older titles like say Logans Run or The Wizard of Oz?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 09:46 AM

5,462 posts, read 8,180,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP72 View Post
Does blu-ray enhance the look older titles like say Logans Run or The Wizard of Oz?
Older titles look better on Blu-ray if the transfer from film is done properly. The Wizard of Oz is a good example of this. I dunno about Logans Run.

Film has a higher resolution than Blu-ray, so Blu-ray can't enhance the picture. It can just give you a picture that is closer to what you would see if you were watching the actual film.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:28 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
As the previous poster stated, it depends on how well it was re-mastered. I recently ordered two blu-ray TV series. Gilliagans Island was cyrstal clear yet MASH had numerous DVD's that were fuzzy looking. Personally I would probably get normal DVDs and try to get the newest revisions of them.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:25 PM

Thanks for the info.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Go to Amazon.com, purchasers comment on video quality.

Logans Run
Quote:
For those thinking of upgrading to the Blu-ray of "Logan's Run" there's good news and bad news. The bad news is that while this does improve on the original DVD, it's not a huge jump in quality. The film needs some restoration and it appears this is a new transfer (the same one that was used for the reissued DVD with the same cover). The image quality is soft throughout lacking the sharp image quality that you'd expect from a recent film or one that has been restored.
Wizard of Oz

Quote:
The improvement in detail and sharpness is startling, especially as the original prints did not seem obviously lacking in either. Even more amazing is the expansion of the tonal scale. Dark scenes (particularly those in the forest and outside the "witches" castle) are now filled with rich detail. Have you ever noticed how beautiful the Winkies' red, white, and gray uniforms are? I hadn't -- until now.

These enhancements combine produce the biggest improvement of all -- a major revelation of _texture_. The "feltiness" of many costumes is obvious. The burlap of the Scarecrow's face is now plainly visible, particularly in the close-up where he misstates the Pythagorean Theorem. And the Lion's costume is a thick pile of fur you want to reach out and stroke. You can see every last strand of hair

The Amazon comments stand for themselves..

Old 12-18-2012, 08:50 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
Due to their higher resolution, Blu-ray discs give you the best chance of recreating the movie as accurately as possible. DVD will not.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:02 AM

I found blu-ray.com now, so I can see so nice reviews broken down by video, audio and so on.

I just named those 2 just off the top of my head. From what I can tell so far, a lot depends on the company doing a remaster and how much they pay attention to the remastering process.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:17 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,469,795 times
Quote:
I found blu-ray.com now, so I can see so nice reviews broken down by video, audio and so on.

I just named those 2 just off the top of my head. From what I can tell so far, a lot depends on the company doing a remaster and how much they pay attention to the remastering process.
Pretty much. One example is the Night Court DVDs. I have seasons one and two on DVD, and whoever transferred those to DVD didn't seem to do any enhancements at all. The picture quality is pretty bad. I'm assuming back then, TV shows were not shot in as high quality film as what motion pictures for theater release would have been, so that's probably part of it as well. At the same time, there are some 90's TV shows that have up converted really well.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:

Correct. Currently there is such a glut of Blu-ray DVDs available on the market, that numerous titles now sell for less than standard DVDs.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:46 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Pretty much. One example is the Night Court DVDs. I have seasons one and two on DVD, and whoever transferred those to DVD didn't seem to do any enhancements at all.
There is no magic wand that can improve the overall quality of source video. There is a lot you can for do for noise removal and other minor tweaks but the bottom line is garbage in, garbage out.

Quote:
TV shows were not shot in as high quality film as what motion pictures for theater release would have been,
Nearly all of those shows would have been recorded on professional analog video tape formats. Time itself is a factor here. the equipment in the hands of the average consumer is superior. If it were recorded on film like the movies it would be a different story. It's one of those oddities, a lot of the material recorded in the early days of TV prior to video is superior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics