Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 10:02 AM

421 posts, read 1,073,138 times

Advertisements

Rite now I am using a Coax in my living room, the Coax goes Modem, then Modem to Router, and then I use Wifi from Router for all devices.... But the WiFi range is not good in one of the rooms and I plan to use the wired Ethernet connection in that room......

I have ethernet port in all the rooms, but I don't know how shall I get it working, I opened the patch panel in the laundry room and found following module

On-Q/Legrand TM7560 4x24 Configurable Telecom Module

Is this the module that provided ethernet connectivity to all the rooms in the house, if this is the case then Do i have to move my Modem into this patch panel???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 10:07 AM

1,420 posts, read 3,184,591 times
Instead of that hassle, maybe consider a range extender - especially since the laptops and other wireless devices (smartphones, tablets) are so much more common nowadays than ten years ago.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:16 AM

I really need wired connection in that room

Old 12-04-2013, 10:23 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,224,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_new View Post
Rite now I am using a Coax in my living room, the Coax goes Modem, then Modem to Router, and then I use Wifi from Router for all devices.... But the WiFi range is not good in one of the rooms and I plan to use the wired Ethernet connection in that room......

I have ethernet port in all the rooms, but I don't know how shall I get it working, I opened the patch panel in the laundry room and found following module

Is this the module that provided ethernet connectivity to all the rooms in the house, if this is the case then Do i have to move my Modem into this patch panel???
That is a phone module. If all the ethernet wiring runs to that panel, which is the point of having a patch panel, then you'd need a router there, and a connection to the modem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Chester View Post
Instead of that hassle, maybe consider a range extender - especially since the laptops and other wireless devices (smartphones, tablets) are so much more common nowadays than ten years ago.
True, but maybe the device OP intends to use in the other room doesn't have wireless capability. He'd need to add a wireless...whatever the thing is called...to it.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:41 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,125,992 times
I hope the patch panel's labeled. Lol!

Old 12-04-2013, 11:44 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,284,036 times
You don't technically need to move the modem to where the patch panel is. Albeit that would make it easier if the router has enough switch ports for your needs. But if there aren't any coax outlets by your patch panel, you can still get by with using a switch there.

Basically connect all the ports you need on the patch panel to the switch. And then connect the router to the living room ethernet port. Now, any devices you plug into the wall will be on your network. That switch by the patch panel is in essence your backbone, and the router your gateway.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
You don't technically need to move the modem to where the patch panel is. Albeit that would make it easier if the router has enough switch ports for your needs. But if there aren't any coax outlets by your patch panel, you can still get by with using a switch there.

Basically connect all the ports you need on the patch panel to the switch. And then connect the router to the living room ethernet port. Now, any devices you plug into the wall will be on your network. That switch by the patch panel is in essence your backbone, and the router your gateway.
I understand what you are saying, what is the purpose of this box 4x24 Configurable Telecom Module

Old 12-04-2013, 03:53 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,125,992 times
Quote:
I understand what you are saying, what is the purpose of this box 4x24 Configurable Telecom Module
It's where all the (wall) ports in all your rooms are connected to for convenience and organization's sake.

Old 12-04-2013, 04:14 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Quote:

Are there any wires running to it now?

Old 12-04-2013, 05:03 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Can you take a picture of your panel and post it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics