Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2016, 09:05 AM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I had a very cheap tracfone for when I travel....but would like to upgrade...
So, it's between the Samsung, Galaxy S5 or S6

The reason I'm thinking about getting the S5 over the S6 is basically because, the battery on the S6 cannot be taken out....or removed, which to me, means, when the battery dies the phone is shot, right?

And the reason why a Tracfone is b/c it's a pay as you go....

You are not locked into a plan....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Hi,
I had a very cheap tracfone for when I travel....but would like to upgrade...
So, it's between the Samsung, Galaxy S5 or S6

The reason I'm thinking about getting the S5 over the S6 is basically because, the battery on the S6 cannot be taken out....or removed, which to me, means, when the battery dies the phone is shot, right?

And the reason why a Tracfone is b/c it's a pay as you go....

You are not locked into a plan....
its an Andriod LTE with 16 GB 5.1 Full HD super Amoled Touchscreen LCD with Corning Gorilla Glass 3.

16 GB built in memory, MicroSC Card slot, 16 MP rear camera and 2 MP front Camera
Android 4.4.2 kitdat
CDMA 800/1900

Any suggestions....cons, pros?

Thanks

Old 05-16-2016, 09:18 AM

953 posts, read 843,237 times
Quote:
its an Andriod LTE with 16 GB 5.1 Full HD super Amoled Touchscreen LCD with Corning Gorilla Glass 3

Any suggestions....cons, pros? Thanks.
I do not own one, but I thought you should check out the very favorable review that is attached.

http://www.hsn.com/products/samsung-...d-case/8033768

Old 05-16-2016, 09:19 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,703,819 times
The S5 was a great phone in its time. Go for it.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aura 524 View Post
I do not own one, but I thought you should check out the very favorable review that is attached.

Samsung Galaxy S5 16GB Android LTE TracFone with Car Charger, Case and 1200 Min - 8033768 | HSN
Thank you....

guess my question is, why would they make the S6 so that you cannot remove the battery....that seems to me, not very bright?

How long do cell phone batteries usually last.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
The S5 was a great phone in its time. Go for it.
well, believe me, I'm not at all cell phone savvy, but I would like to up grade....so...not being tied down to a plan is a great idea for me. For now?

Why was it a great phone?

Old 05-16-2016, 10:27 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,703,819 times
A) Re: Battery. Several reasons. Making a permanent battery allows them to make a thinner phone. It allows them to use better materials. They were going for a more luxurious feel for the S6. The S5 feels cheaper because it's got a plastic back, as do most phones with replaceable batteries. And, of course, they want you to replace your phone more often.

B) Batteries start to degrade around 18-24 months old. It's not drastic at first.
It could last for 4-5 years but will need recharged more often, won't last as long...

C) Just read the reviews from 2 or 3 years ago. The S5 was one of the best selling Galaxy phones ever. Samsung was not doing well up until they released the S4. That was a huge hit, and the S5 continued that trend of making a quality high end phone.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
A) Re: Battery. Several reasons. Making a permanent battery allows them to make a thinner phone. It allows them to use better materials. They were going for a more luxurious feel for the S6. The S5 feels cheaper because it's got a plastic back, as do most phones with replaceable batteries. And, of course, they want you to replace your phone more often.

B) Batteries start to degrade around 18-24 months old. It's not drastic at first.
It could last for 4-5 years but will need recharged more often, won't last as long...

C) Just read the reviews from 2 or 3 years ago. The S5 was one of the best selling Galaxy phones ever. Samsung was not doing well up until they released the S4. That was a huge hit, and the S5 continued that trend of making a quality high end phone.
well, thank you very much, very much appreciate....now that you've taken the time to write, this, I remember hearing that before....

I'll stay with the S5, thank you

Old 05-17-2016, 09:44 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,192,871 times
Quote:
Thank you....

guess my question is, why would they make the S6 so that you cannot remove the battery....that seems to me, not very bright?

How long do cell phone batteries usually last.
there's alot of phones that you can't remove the battery now!!! i never kept a phone long enough to see how long the battery lasts on it so i dunno on that part

Old 05-18-2016, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ground_pounder View Post
there's alot of phones that you can't remove the battery now!!! i never kept a phone long enough to see how long the battery lasts on it so i dunno on that part
Well, I did do some homework, and I plan on keeping this phone for a long time. When I go away, I don't want to hear the phone ring. I bought it, strictly for using it for other purposes. I hate talking on the phone, but as my son has suggested, along with a lot of friends, it's good to have when you are going on vacations, and driving long distances. Also, I want the internet, all the other stuff, I really don't care much about, but it will come in handy. As far as the battery, yes, I know a lot of phones you can't remove the battery on, but it was in fact a deal breaker for me, and why I chose this phone. Plan to keep it...

also I like the idea of the Tracfhone, b/c your not locked into a plan, (I also have a landline) and I own the phone.

The other cheap Tracfhone I had, was with me for a long time...it broke and so I upgraded.

My choice. I'm not a cell phone user...and refuse to have one surgically attached to my hand.

It's a matter of choice and opinion, period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics