Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2021, 03:37 PM

14,466 posts, read 20,640,988 times

Advertisements

The ISP is converting everyone from a modem and cable box to a fire stick and streaming. I question if streaming TV is more reliable than TV through a wire. Sometimes we lose TV but have internet or vice versa.
Locally people say if you lose one or the other with the new streaming then you lose both. There are no other options but this local ISP. No others except in the areas around the county lines with the other nearby counties. Dish and Direct TV don't have the stations we desire in a lower cost package. Youtube TV is a choice but for some unusual reason they don't have CNN.

We use our VCR every day. With no cable box with the streaming service how do we connect out VCR?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2021, 09:54 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,472,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
We use our VCR every day. With no cable box with the streaming service how do we connect out VCR?
Thanks.
That would be a function of the TV. VCR is either going to use RF in (coax, tune to channel 3 etc) or Composite which is Red, White and Yellow RCA plugs. Pretty sure your TV has either one of those.

Old 10-01-2021, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
That would be a function of the TV. VCR is either going to use RF in (coax, tune to channel 3 etc) or Composite which is Red, White and Yellow RCA plugs. Pretty sure your TV has either one of those.
This is the setup that we have always used to capture TV pictures that are travelling between the cable box and the TV.

For the VCR to record the programs exiting the cable box, the VCR is between the cable box and the TV.

Old 10-01-2021, 02:12 PM

16,546 posts, read 19,685,380 times
You need this:
https://www.amazon.com/Dinger-Conver...31576157&psc=1
if you want to do it exactly the same way.

Old 10-03-2021, 10:15 AM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,662,281 times
Quote:
The ISP is converting everyone from a modem and cable box to a fire stick and streaming. I question if streaming TV is more reliable than TV through a wire. Sometimes we lose TV but have internet or vice versa.
Locally people say if you lose one or the other with the new streaming then you lose both. There are no other options but this local ISP. No others except in the areas around the county lines with the other nearby counties. Dish and Direct TV don't have the stations we desire in a lower cost package. Youtube TV is a choice but for some unusual reason they don't have CNN.

Thanks.
Your ISP currently provides your television signal? Or do they have a contract with a cable company to do it? If your television service doesn't go down when you lose your internet signal, then you're not receiving television service from the internet now regardless of whether your bill has "ISP" at the top. It sounds like your ISP is trying to eliminate contracted cable service.

To receive television service through the internet (streaming), you still need a modem which broadcasts the signal coming into your house. You need a Fire Stick or Roku or other streaming device plugged into your television to receive the signal broadcast by your modem. So if your internet signal is lost for any reason (ISP has a problem, your dog chews up your modem, interference from a new microwave, etc) then you lose both internet and television. That can be concerning if you have no other way (smartphone or radio station) to receive information during an emergency situation.

Once you're set up for streaming with your Fire Stick, you can choose your television service provider(s). There are now many, including YouTube TV, Sling, Philo, Hulu, et al which all provide TV packages. YouTube TV does, in fact, include CNN, which I watched only last night. Besides these companies, you can also get services like Prime, Netflix, Disney, Showtime, etc. It just depends on what you like to watch and how much you want to spend.

Besides using your VCR, you can also record shows using your television provider directly (Philo, YouTube TV) if you don't want to save them to tape.

HTH.

Old 10-03-2021, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Your ISP currently provides your television signal? Or do they have a contract with a cable company to do it? If your television service doesn't go down when you lose your internet signal, then you're not receiving television service from the internet now regardless of whether your bill has "ISP" at the top. It sounds like your ISP is trying to eliminate contracted cable service.
HTH.
The 100+ year old phone company is the only choice we have for home phone, internet and cable TV. The cable TV and internet come into the county homes via coaxial cables. We pay $191 a month for TV and internet. I can give you an address and you can try to see if other services are available to you and you will find out they don't serve your address.

Old 10-03-2021, 08:02 PM

557 posts, read 297,117 times
Quote:
Youtube TV is a choice but for some unusual reason they don't have CNN.
Thanks.
Good News: Youtube TV has CNN

I have the opposite problem that you do. My retirement community charges me $35 for cable TV which I don't want. But I still choose streaming...

I prefer streaming because it is just so easy.
  • You get every station (except the weather channel, so sad).
  • You get unlimited DVR.
  • Watching a show in the living room, when you move to the bedroom, you can continue where it stopped.
  • Watch it on the TV, computer, tablet, even your phone.
So yes, I have cable but I choose to stream.

Old 10-04-2021, 05:25 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,809,458 times
OP, do you not have cell phone service w/ data at your home? I have two hotspots as backup if I ever need.

Old 11-05-2021, 08:54 PM

1,014 posts, read 479,433 times
streaming is done on Ultra high frequency 2.4 Ghz per second. Faster. So they changed it. And you can get more out of it than regular TV. This is cable TV via the internet. Really high Speed and more efficient and effective. Because TV flies on a specific frequency, you can catch more channels coming in and more accurate too. Than cable.

Old 11-07-2021, 01:36 PM

2,452 posts, read 3,214,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyCable View Post
streaming is done on Ultra high frequency 2.4 Ghz per second. Faster. So they changed it. And you can get more out of it than regular TV. This is cable TV via the internet. Really high Speed and more efficient and effective. Because TV flies on a specific frequency, you can catch more channels coming in and more accurate too. Than cable.
What?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics