Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How Would You Like Your TV Adjusted
1. Settings Accurately Calibrated so you see exactly what is on a DVD or is being transmitted over air 2 33.33%
2. Setting them the way you like, despite penalties against accuracy 3 50.00%
3. Factory Defaults - Everything Cranked To High Heaven! 1 16.67%
4. What Settings - 'If it aint broke don't fix it!' 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 07:15 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,041,802 times

Advertisements

Despite consumer television sets having changed form factor dramatically in the last decade - from bulky tubes to less than one inch thick - adjustments are still available for picture and sound. Do you use them?

Last edited by TheGrandK-Man; 07-26-2017 at 07:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 07:40 AM

16,905 posts, read 16,130,561 times
Factory default settings are not going to be accurate for all environments. My settings are way, way different than the default.

Old 07-26-2017, 01:52 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
I don't think there is such a thing as "accurate." In photography, the various film emulsions had to be taken into account, and it was common knowledge that Ektachrome slewed to greens, Agfa to red, and Kodachrome was over-saturated. That was on top of color temperature. Much the same goes for various "nominal" settings. Now add in cone fatigue in the eye and the way the brain adjusts, and short of a spectrometer "accuracy" is subjective. Remember the internet dress color debate?

Old 07-26-2017, 02:24 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,471,110 times
I really think it's subjective like Harry said. If I have settings the way I like them, then that means those settings are accurate and pleasing to my eye. They might be way off for other people, but I've never had anybody to come over and tell me I need to calibrate my TV.

Old 07-26-2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I really think it's subjective like Harry said. If I have settings the way I like them, then that means those settings are accurate and pleasing to my eye. They might be way off for other people, but I've never had anybody to come over and tell me I need to calibrate my TV.
You can adjust your settings any way you wish, just remember though there is only one accurate adjustment for each setting, as determined by SMPTE-approved reference test patterns available on DVD, Blu Ray, or on line. You will not be seeing movies and TV shows as their producers intended, even if you 'like' what you see, if setting to 'personal preference'.

I calibrate TVs part-time, and there are people who are both pleased and stunned by the realism of a calibrated image. Calibration ensures that a display neither adds nor subtracts anything to or from whatever it is displaying. It allows your TV or projector to become a window to whatever is on the other side. Most of my clients would never accept personal preference again.

Old 07-26-2017, 05:41 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Life is to short to mucking around a in TV menu to make minor improvements to video quality if any.

Old 07-26-2017, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Life is to short to mucking around a in TV menu to make minor improvements to video quality if any.
Your loss! It's not like you have to do it all the time.

Old 07-26-2017, 06:07 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
You can adjust your settings any way you wish, just remember though there is only one accurate adjustment for each setting, as determined by SMPTE-approved reference test patterns available on DVD, Blu Ray, or on line. You will not be seeing movies and TV shows as their producers intended, even if you 'like' what you see, if setting to 'personal preference'.

I calibrate TVs part-time, and there are people who are both pleased and stunned by the realism of a calibrated image. Calibration ensures that a display neither adds nor subtracts anything to or from whatever it is displaying. It allows your TV or projector to become a window to whatever is on the other side. Most of my clients would never accept personal preference again.
My faith in the infallibility of producers and creators died when Jar Jar Binks was created. YMMV. The SMPTE standard reference sometimes means that sometimes the sh*te is just a little too realistic.

Old 07-26-2017, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
My faith in the infallibility of producers and creators died when Jar Jar Binks was created. YMMV. The SMPTE standard reference sometimes means that sometimes the sh*te is just a little too realistic.
Questionable taste in content production has nothing to do with making sure ones TV does not alter/add/detract from content displayed on it.

Old 07-26-2017, 06:34 PM

61,731 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Settings... just few, more like a customization. Other than that, TV works so I am not fooling with it...
Did I explored every function? I KNOW I didn't. But I am not much of a TV person anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics