Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 03:03 PM

512 posts, read 322,666 times

Advertisements

Hello there, good people of City-Data!

So I just irreparably lost what was left of my beloved iPod Classic.

It was a 120 gb model that had been was acting wonky for the last year (after many years of solid use), and it held over 7 thousand songs. I had all of the music that I remembered enjoying pretty much since my junior high years. I had the whole catalogues of many of my favorite artists of all time in all kinds of genres (from Enya to The Doors, from Diana Ross to Mary J. Blige, from Madonna to Rihanna, from Stevie Nicks to Nina Simone, from James Blundell to Ray Kennedy, from Fleetwood Mack to Tom Petty, from N.W.A. to ABBA, etc) and tons of scores and soundtracks from many films and musicals.

One of the things I enjoy the most is running and walking [those are a huge part of my life and a huge aspect of my mental/emotional well-being], and music is a HUGE part of my running/walking.

Needless to say, I am bummed beyond belief.

What do you guys think I should do:

A- buy a "new" iPod off Ebay or Amazon? Has anyone bought any of those allegedly new iPods they sell on Amazon? Several sellers claim to have brand new, never-used, still-in-the-box iPods. Are they legit?

B-buy a non-Apple mp3 player? Anyone familiar with the good alternatives to iPod?

C- buy an iPhone. Um...I have never fallen for the iPhone siren song, but now I am wondering: can one really use the iPhone as an iPod (can you actually download songs off of iTunes or transfer songs from your desktop computer into an iPhone?

Please help me!!! I just need some advice/suggestions/ideas/insights/warnings/musings/whatever!

Thanks in advance for your help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2017, 05:14 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,588,094 times
i typed in ipod into duckduckgo -- they still make them.

you seem to like ipod so just buy a new one.

i would by an archos or creative zen because they seem more straightforward than futzing around with it00nz.

ifones are essentially an ipod with a gsm/cdma radio. i cant see how it would possible that it couldnt play flac files ?

Old 10-28-2017, 07:44 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,047,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oramasfella View Post
Hello there, good people of City-Data!

So I just irreparably lost what was left of my beloved iPod Classic.

It was a 120 gb model that had been was acting wonky for the last year (after many years of solid use), and it held over 7 thousand songs. I had all of the music that I remembered enjoying pretty much since my junior high years. I had the whole catalogues of many of my favorite artists of all time in all kinds of genres (from Enya to The Doors, from Diana Ross to Mary J. Blige, from Madonna to Rihanna, from Stevie Nicks to Nina Simone, from James Blundell to Ray Kennedy, from Fleetwood Mack to Tom Petty, from N.W.A. to ABBA, etc) and tons of scores and soundtracks from many films and musicals.

One of the things I enjoy the most is running and walking [those are a huge part of my life and a huge aspect of my mental/emotional well-being], and music is a HUGE part of my running/walking.

Needless to say, I am bummed beyond belief.

What do you guys think I should do:

A- buy a "new" iPod off Ebay or Amazon? Has anyone bought any of those allegedly new iPods they sell on Amazon? Several sellers claim to have brand new, never-used, still-in-the-box iPods. Are they legit?

B-buy a non-Apple mp3 player? Anyone familiar with the good alternatives to iPod?

C- buy an iPhone. Um...I have never fallen for the iPhone siren song, but now I am wondering: can one really use the iPhone as an iPod (can you actually download songs off of iTunes or transfer songs from your desktop computer into an iPhone?

Please help me!!! I just need some advice/suggestions/ideas/insights/warnings/musings/whatever!

Thanks in advance for your help!!
Play around with the iPod touch 6th gen in the apple stores. You might just like it. 32 and 128Gig storage available(64 being phased out for some weird reason).

Old 10-28-2017, 08:23 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,127,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
32 and 128Gig storage available(64 being phased out for some weird reason).
Looks like the Iphone is same thing. They likely manufactured six gazillion of each when the cost of the storage justified it and have run out of the 64GB storage. The cost of making new ones probably can't be justified now and they will just make 128 or higher if they need them.

edit:
Best Buy has them:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-i...?skuId=4290129

Old 10-28-2017, 10:13 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,060,476 times
The old ipod has been a very important part of your youth so a new (old) ipod to carry on for the one you wore out is a very good thing for you to keep all the songs from your past on. Oh yes, this is one of those thing where money really doesn't matter at all. Get yourself another ipod.

Old 10-29-2017, 06:41 AM

512 posts, read 322,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Play around with the iPod touch 6th gen in the apple stores. You might just like it. 32 and 128Gig storage available(64 being phased out for some weird reason).
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Looks like the Iphone is same thing. They likely manufactured six gazillion of each when the cost of the storage justified it and have run out of the 64GB storage. The cost of making new ones probably can't be justified now and they will just make 128 or higher if they need them.

edit:
Best Buy has them:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-i...?skuId=4290129

Thanks, guys!!!
Silly question (most likely): I can use the Ipod Touch just like an iPod, right? Meaning...if I transfer my songs from my computer into Itunes and then into the iPodTouch itself, I can listen to my songs without being online...correct? I ask because I understand that iPodTouch needs a wifi connection to work.

Thanks for any help!

Old 10-29-2017, 08:14 AM

106 posts, read 117,023 times
Yes, you can. The wifi option is when you are using it as basically a mini iPad...shopping, FB, googling stuff is what i use mine for; I have wifi both at home and work.

Also nice for taking pictures/video.

Also, when I'm at working late, I have the Sirius XM app and I'm listening to music.

Of course I also have music loaded on it, too.

Old 10-29-2017, 09:15 AM

16,559 posts, read 19,752,412 times
Yes, the modern iPhone is no different then the one you broke re: using it. Yea, it's totally different LOOKING but it does exactly what you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
The old ipod has been a very important part of your youth so a new (old) ipod to carry on for the one you wore out is a very good thing for you to keep all the songs from your past on. Oh yes, this is one of those thing where money really doesn't matter at all. Get yourself another ipod.
Huh? It's not just his old music. He still buys music from the sounds of it.
Many of us do. Not everyone gave up buying for streaming.

Old 10-29-2017, 12:09 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,588,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oramasfella View Post
Thanks, guys!!!
Silly question (most likely): I can use the Ipod Touch just like an iPod, right? Meaning...if I transfer my songs from my computer into Itunes and then into the iPodTouch itself, I can listen to my songs without being online...correct? I ask because I understand that iPodTouch needs a wifi connection to work.

Thanks for any help!
one of the reasons i dont recommend ifones/ipods/ipads/... is because they are still anchored down by it00nz in order to transfer info to and fro.

Old 10-29-2017, 03:06 PM

20,299 posts, read 37,246,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
one of the reasons i dont recommend ifones/ipods/ipads/... is because they are still anchored down by it00nz in order to transfer info to and fro.
You can transfer your music from an iPod to iTunes manually (just click and drag the playlists), then plug the new iPod to the computer and drag the playlists to it. I never sync my music, videos, and photos. Otherwise you can use one of several apps to take care of it if you don't want to use iTunes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics