Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2018, 12:01 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times

Advertisements

Now that's it's been some time since the Galaxy S9 was released how do you like it?

I am considering switching to T mobile with an S9 from VZ with S7 because they are giving the S9 away for free right now.

I realize their network is not as robust but I believe they have good coverage these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 06:25 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
T-Mobile coverage is at the same level as AT&T and Verizon for most people. I’ve seen a huge improvement over the past 3 years.

Old 12-14-2018, 10:05 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
Thanks hoping to get some feedback on the S9 too.

I was ready to pull the trigger on the Tmobile holiday deal but saw the S9 gets only a 4 out of 5 stars which is low compared to S9+ and Note 9.

What is wrong with the S9?

Old 12-14-2018, 11:17 AM

948 posts, read 1,140,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
T-Mobile coverage is at the same level as AT&T and Verizon for most people. I’ve seen a huge improvement over the past 3 years.

Not really. T mobile is good in downtown/city areas, if not it sucks. I have ATT and my neighborhood has matured trees (atleast that's what ATT claims), I have signal issues (1-2 bars inside) and ATT recommended using WiFi calling. T-mobile has no signal in my house.

Verizon is good. I wanted to switch to Verizon, but my spouse has Galaxy S6 from ATT, which is not compatible with Verizon. So I am stuck. So be careful with Galaxy phones. They make it specific to the provider for whatever reasons, doesn't worth the price. My Iphone6 is fully compatible with Verizon.

Samsung was good when it was cheap. Not anymore. I still like their camera over IPhone, that's about it.

Last edited by nitynity; 12-14-2018 at 11:30 AM..

Old 12-14-2018, 03:15 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitynity View Post
Not really. T mobile is good in downtown/city areas, if not it sucks. I have ATT and my neighborhood has matured trees (atleast that's what ATT claims), I have signal issues (1-2 bars inside) and ATT recommended using WiFi calling. T-mobile has no signal in my house.

Verizon is good. I wanted to switch to Verizon, but my spouse has Galaxy S6 from ATT, which is not compatible with Verizon. So I am stuck. So be careful with Galaxy phones. They make it specific to the provider for whatever reasons, doesn't worth the price. My Iphone6 is fully compatible with Verizon.

Samsung was good when it was cheap. Not anymore. I still like their camera over IPhone, that's about it.
“For most people” - obviously you’re an exception. I do agree their rural service is still behind.

Also, your statement about Galaxy phones apply to most. It’s called carrier locking - and sometimes carrier-specific firmware.

The best way to avoid this problem is to buy carrier unlocked phones.

Old 12-14-2018, 03:51 PM

948 posts, read 1,140,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
“For most people” - obviously you’re an exception. I do agree their rural service is still behind.

Also, your statement about Galaxy phones apply to most. It’s called carrier locking - and sometimes carrier-specific firmware.

The best way to avoid this problem is to buy carrier unlocked phones.

I live in North Garland, 5 miles from Plano. Not rural area.

As I stated, ATT is blaming it on my matured neighborhood trees though they have 3 towers in 1-3 mile radius around my house. The trees could be the culprit, but Verizon has full signal.

According to Verizon rep, galaxy s6 IMEI is not in their database and hence not compatible regardless unlocked or not. The android phones have vendor specific software built in which is not transferable in all scenarios. Verizon phones work with T-mobile but not necessarily with ATT, not all of them. I heard the latest galaxy might work. But I am not buying $800 phone every two years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics