Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2008, 08:20 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,048,909 times

Advertisements

Cable or Satellitte viewers, do you feel like you being ripped off by having at least 40% or even higher stations showining info commercials?

I think they should credit our bill for this, why should we have to pay for this this crap if not interested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 09:13 AM

1,398 posts, read 7,704,219 times
Of course it's a rip off...what's new

BTW...I have been COMPLETELY without tv service of any kind now for almost a year. Guess what....I don't miss it one bit and it frees up a lot of previously wasted time for reading and other more productive ventures.
Just MHO

Old 09-27-2008, 09:30 AM

1,193 posts, read 3,992,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
Of course it's a rip off...what's new

BTW...I have been COMPLETELY without tv service of any kind now for almost a year. Guess what....I don't miss it one bit and it frees up a lot of previously wasted time for reading and other more productive ventures.
Just MHO

Area Man Constantly Mentioning He Doesn't Own A Television | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

I admit I'm the same way though. I don't subscribe to any television service, but I do keep rabbit ears attached so I can watch the news and PBS and whatever is floating around the airwaves. Almost all the major networks have streaming shows on their website now so if I really want to watch The Office I can. I'm not forgoing TV because I think I'm bettering myself or freeing up time though; I'm just a tightwad.

Old 09-27-2008, 03:50 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,704,219 times
As usual the Onion never fails to make me laugh.... always a hoot

I should say I do own a tv...only connected to a vcr and dvd player
..and then there's those home made vids...I know...I know...TMI

Old 09-27-2008, 04:40 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,686,160 times
That has always been one of my biggest complaints. I remember when cable was becoming popular in the 70's. Their big draw was no commercials, and no censorship.

Today, we are paying to watch commercials, and shows that we already saw for free years ago. Look at TV Land, and all of the other network shows that are in syndication.

To top it off they blur and beep out all of the good stuff. There is nothing more annoying than watching a comedian on comedy central, and having him beeped out most of the time. The cable and satellite companies could add to their revenue, if they offered a noncensored package. You could get a little box called "The Clarifier" for a few dollars that would remove the beep, and unblur all of the channels. Then I could watch comedy central, Jerry Springer, and Dr. 90210 in all of their uncensored glory.

I find that most of my viewing is Discovery, Military, History, and History International. Then Food Network, Comedy Central, and Toon Retro. I then complain the entire time about paying to watch the commercials. Paying to watch infomercials is 100 times worse.

Old 09-27-2008, 08:58 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,732,478 times
I am entertained by infomercials. I used to watch them during my years in college. I fell for one out of all of the infomercials "The Medicus Driver" for golf. However, it works well for me. Additionally, someone gave me the Medicus Iron prior to the Driver so I knew it really worked.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:57 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,032,874 times
I dumped TV in February of '06. Haven't looked back. Don't miss it.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:09 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,236,744 times
We dumped cable five years ago and probably will never go back...I was tired of paying for things I did not watch. Fifty channels and my wife and I probably only watched 4 of 5 of those...and they were 80% rerun...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics