Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 02:08 PM

465 posts, read 1,417,733 times

Advertisements

I bought Rosetta Stone level 1 Vietnames back in July new from Amazon. I haven't had time to use it up until now so it sat in the original box for almost six months. When I tried to install it over the weekend it wouldn't install properly. I tried all the things it said to do in the FAQ section on their website, none of them worked. So on Monday I talked to a woman via there chat help service, after I explained the problem she just asked for my address and said the materials I needed would be sent out UPS rush the next day. Well it's Friday now so I got back on there chat service and I asked the guy if he could see if my "materials" had shipped yet and if he had any idea what those materials might consist of. He looked up the previos conversation and yes an order for a replacement for a defective CD had been made, but to check on the status I would have to call customer service. I called customer service and they didn't know who the heck I was so they transfered me back to tech support. They can't find any evidence of my chat conversations, and I bought it from Amazon anyways which they say is just a little differernt than buying it directly from them. Anyways the guy gave me a "ticket number" to reference if I didn't get a solution to my problem in a timely matter.

Am I out $200? I really want to learn Vietnamese too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 03:15 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Nothing you can do other than Google the problem for a fix or hope their tech support takes care of you. Can you provide the error message your getting?

Old 12-19-2008, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Nothing you can do other than Google the problem for a fix or hope their tech support takes care of you. Can you provide the error message your getting?
Well there are two disks, the application disk and the language disk. You have to install the application disk before you can run the language disk. I install the application disk and the install seems to be successful but when I try to run the progam it tells me "please insert the correct CD-ROM, select OK and restart application". When I try to run the language disk it tells me that the application disk has not been installed.

I googled it, I couldn't find anything useful.

Old 12-19-2008, 03:58 PM

Rosetta Stone uses safedisk copy protection and it may be a problem with that and your particular CD drive, does your PC have a second drive you can try installing from?

Old 12-19-2008, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Rosetta Stone uses safedisk copy protection and it may be a problem with that and your particular CD drive, does your PC have a second drive you can try installing from?
Yeah one of the solutions on there FAQ is to update Safedisk, no luck. No my computer only has one CD drive, but maybe I can try installing on someone else's computer just to see if it works.
Thanks for the idea.

Old 12-19-2008, 04:10 PM

That will narrow down where the problem is

Old 12-19-2008, 04:42 PM

No, exact same error message. I'm not liking Rosetta Stone at this point.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:54 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
From this short set of posts I'd say that I'll not be buying this software, ever.

You need to decide the level of importance this has.

Harassment may be your only solution. I use it when necessary. I don't like to, but these companies charge obnoxious prices for software then hide behind "You bought it from Amazon". So what? Amazon didn't create the non-working CD's and programs, they just sold it as a reseller. If RS isn't going to support this product through Amazon would I buy it at Best Buy? Uh, no.

Two things - Contact Amazon.com and see if they will intervene on your behalf and contact PC World magazine and see if they will intervene on your behalf. PC World mag has an "On Your Side" column that is aimed directly at this type of problem.

If all else fails keep calling RS until they get sick of hearing from you and do something about this problem. And keep posting this in as many forums as possible so others know about it. Word may just get back to RS that they could be losing sales over it.

I am going to send them an email and let them know what I think. Everyone else reading this should do the same. No need to quote any names or forum locations, just let them know we heard about it and what we think. If you don't gang up on companies like this they just get worse.

Old 12-20-2008, 01:28 PM

Thanks Tek_Freek. I left a one star review on Amazon, it seems Amazon has quit carrying Rosetta Stone however. Still people who are thinking about buying Rosetta Stone may go to Amazon and see the review.
I guess I will write Amazon about it next and keep pestering tech support.

It's a shame though because Vietnamese is a very difficult langauge and there is not a lot of resources for the few native English speakers that want to learn it. The time I am wasting not being able to learn is even worse than the $200 for me.

Old 12-20-2008, 05:32 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,132,051 times
You might get a small measure of satisfaction by signing up with epinions and express your thoughts on it. I had recently heard that when people read such opinions and find them helpful, you get a little money for it. This Vietnamese program hasn't had any opinions, yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics