Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2022, 02:11 PM

2 posts, read 2,689 times

Advertisements

Hey, all. My family lives in Maryville, TN right now and are considering a move to Lake Tansi. What should we know before we really start looking?

What's it like for families in Lake Tansi? We have two elementary and middle school age children.

I've read stories of murders and other crime in the area. How crime-ridden is it, especially in south-west Lake Tansi? TBI doesn't seem to collect data specific to Lake Tansi. Is there a resource I see that is specific?

If you live there, do you feel safe? Would you still make the choice to live there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2022, 04:16 PM

121 posts, read 162,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking-in-the-south View Post
Hey, all. My family lives in Maryville, TN right now and are considering a move to Lake Tansi. What should we know before we really start looking?

What's it like for families in Lake Tansi? We have two elementary and middle school age children.

I've read stories of murders and other crime in the area. How crime-ridden is it, especially in south-west Lake Tansi? TBI doesn't seem to collect data specific to Lake Tansi. Is there a resource I see that is specific?

If you live there, do you feel safe? Would you still make the choice to live there?
We live in Tansi as does my daughter family. Tansi has a lot of retirees living here but it is also a nice community for kid as we have two pools (one indoor and 1 outdoor, a beach, fishing pier, playground along with many planned activities through the year. The POA fees are very reasonable. Homes are for the most part affordable. Students from Tansi attend Brown Elementary which is located in our community. Students attend there from pre-K through 8th grade. It is a very nice school with a good staff. High school students attend Cumberland County High School which is about 5-6 miles away in Crossville proper.

Old 03-12-2022, 09:26 PM

319 posts, read 199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fltaz View Post
We live in Tansi as does my daughter family. Tansi has a lot of retirees living here but it is also a nice community for kid as we have two pools (one indoor and 1 outdoor, a beach, fishing pier, playground along with many planned activities through the year. The POA fees are very reasonable. Homes are for the most part affordable. Students from Tansi attend Brown Elementary which is located in our community. Students attend there from pre-K through 8th grade. It is a very nice school with a good staff. High school students attend Cumberland County High School which is about 5-6 miles away in Crossville proper.
We moved to Lake Tansi in 2019 as retirees.

Reading the monthly Smoke Signal, the subject of funding for new pools is a huge issue. Since the current ones are decayed and not worth the expense of upkeep, and a survey shows facilities for recreation are a priority, it seems there will be a greater emphasis on providing activity of that sort. Hopefully once that issue is taken care of, other ideas could be addressed. Like walking trails and a dog park. Right now, we go to Cumberland Mountain State Park (probably a 15-20 minute drive?) to get walking exercise on their very nice trails.

Crime. Once the weather gets warm, I'd be wary of leaving garden equipment out in plain sight. Pilfering is a problem, said to be related to drugs. Also, ATVs and side-by-side vehicles should be locked up. Speaking of which, those darned things are a growing problem. It's against the law to ride those vehicles on the road. There have been notices in the monthly newsletter, but people ignore them and are pretty brazen about it. Wouldn't be hard for the Lake Tansi police to catch them. All you have to do is pass by the Happy Sak Exxon occasionally to see them pulling in and gassing up.

Dunbar is the main route going in and out, though there are ways to navigate the maze of roads to reach a couple of exits. Found that out last year when the bridges were being worked on. That means rush hour traffic and the occasional accident when someone takes one of the curves too fast.

There are sketchy parts, mostly in the area where manufactured houses are allowed. Given the rise in home prices, even in that part, evolution of property value will likely see that area become gentrified.

Lake Tansi is a growing area. Driving down Dunbar, we've seen construction on at least 4 new houses within sight of that road, plus a scan of realtor.com shows a short period of houses on the market before they are scarfed.

Old 03-13-2022, 08:39 AM

2 posts, read 2,689 times
Thanks for the replies!

Quick note to the direct messages: I apologize for not replying directly. I get an error that my limit of -1 messages has been reached and will be reset in 1970. =)

I've been asked to provide a few more specifics. Our interest was piqued when we saw a home that would allow us to buy it and be 100% debt free. We currently work for ourselves; if we had to work for an employer, we could both do it remotely. We also homeschool, so don't need to be near a school.

I did some digging since I posted. There was an article of a person who had a drug or mental health issue in December whose address is almost right next door to the property we were looking at. I can see now why the home seems under-priced to me, if that person is a factor in their sale.

Lake Tansi seems like it could be a great place to finish raising our kids and even stay after we retire.

Old 03-13-2022, 11:36 AM

319 posts, read 199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking-in-the-south View Post
I did some digging since I posted. There was an article of a person who had a drug or mental health issue in December whose address is almost right next door to the property we were looking at. I can see now why the home seems under-priced to me, if that person is a factor in their sale.

Lake Tansi seems like it could be a great place to finish raising our kids and even stay after we retire.
Wellll, there might be more than one person like that. Stopping in at Happy Sak while one of the Tansi police drop in for a snack (they have pretty decent pick-up food), I've dawdled and eavesdropped on some of the gossip they pass on to the ladies behind the counter

I know of one case involving mental illness and a domestic incident, near to us. That person has been moved and is monitored by family who live with them. It's been several years since they caused any public harm, however, they are still loud and prone to squabbling with family. There's not much the local patrol can do about that.

We hear sirens almost every day once the weather warms up. Mostly along the main stretches of Dunbar and Big Horn. It's probably parties and the occasional old person who needs medical attention. There was an incident last year of a shooting and motorcycle crash resulting in one death.

We've accepted that this is a rural area, no matter its attraction to retirees and people who want to raise their families quietly, populated by a segment of society who'll just get themselves into scrapes.

Old 03-14-2022, 09:51 AM

529 posts, read 490,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Luv Chins View Post
Wellll, there might be more than one person like that. Stopping in at Happy Sak while one of the Tansi police drop in for a snack (they have pretty decent pick-up food), I've dawdled and eavesdropped on some of the gossip they pass on to the ladies behind the counter

Why not just talk to them (not why they are trying to eat though)? Most are more than willing to answer any questions you have. When I am looking at an area, that is what I do, and they generally have no problem telling you like it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville