Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2007, 07:41 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,963,688 times

Advertisements

Someone in here once asked about Monterey. It's a small town, a former coal-mining town about 10 miles east of Cookeville and 20 miles west of Crossville. Way back in the good old days it was somewhat of a resort town; trains from Nashville would bring people to Monterey in the summer because of its higher elevation. There used to be a half-dozen hotels in Monterey around the old train station, which has since disappeared. Only one of the old hotels is still there.

Here are the pictures:

This is the Standing Stone monument. Back in the early 1800s travelers across the Cumberland Plateau would come across a giant rock and carve their initials in it. All that's left of that giant rock is this little stone that's now in front of the Monterey library:

Monterey High School:

Downtown Monterey:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2007, 12:21 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,523,474 times
Default Pictures of Monterey

Looks very nice.....Plain - boring and just my kinda place!!!!! Great photo's
Thank You for sharing......... And this not a negative post! Just what I'm looking for!! Serious!!

Old 06-23-2010, 10:26 PM

55 posts, read 129,013 times
Yes the pics are very nice should go see it sometime living in Cookeville and havn't even seen Monterey yet.Heared Moddy Pond is suppose to be a nice small town too.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:03 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Looks very nice.....Plain - boring and just my kinda place!!!!!
Thats exacty right Tinman. Plain and boring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanMom View Post
Yes the pics are very nice should go see it sometime living in Cookeville and havn't even seen Monterey yet.Heared Moddy Pond is suppose to be a nice small town too.

Muddy pond isnt really a town. It is more of a Mennonite community. It is definately worth a visit. You should visit in the fall when they make sorghum. There is also a private lake just down the road if your kids like swimming. They have gone up on the fee tho. I think Cathy charges $4/person now (kids might be less). A little pricy I think.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:49 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanMom View Post
I love Muddy Pond, but as 2mares said it's not really a town. It's a very rural, religious, agricultural community that's populated by a lot of Mennonites who have their own school, their own churches, their own businesses, and a very popular general store. It's a GREAT place to go if you want to buy the most comfortable rocking chairs in the world (and at half the price that they sell for at Mast in Knoxville), wonderful fruit preserves, Amish cheeses and butter, homemade soaps, quilts, handcrafted furniture and leather goods, and they have a bakery with some delicious cinnamon rolls, breads, and thick, juicy hamburgers at lunch time.

I once took a friend from Belgium to Muddy Pond. He was totally mesmerized by the experience. He said he felt like he was waking into an old encyclopedia of what rural American life was like in the 1800s (except for the electricity and air conditioning).

Old 06-25-2010, 07:04 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
[quote=JMT;14764064]I love Muddy Pond, but as 2mares said it's not really a town. It's a very rural, religious, agricultural community that's populated by a lot of Mennonites who have their own school, their own churches, their own businesses, and a very popular general store. It's a GREAT place to go if you want to buy the most comfortable rocking chairs in the world (and at half the price that they sell for at Mast in Knoxville), wonderful fruit preserves, Amish cheeses and butter, homemade soaps, quilts, handcrafted furniture and leather goods, and they have a bakery with some delicious cinnamon rolls, breads, and thick, juicy hamburgers at lunch time.

I once took a friend from Belgium to Muddy Pond. He was totally mesmerized by the experience. He said he felt like he was waking into an old encyclopedia of what rural American life was like in the 1800s (except for the electricity and air conditioning).[/quote]

I can remember going out there when they still used horse and buggies and the women sold baked goods out of their kitchens.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:12 AM

79 posts, read 322,784 times
Monterey has a poultry plant. (Love that smell! ;-[] )The employees are mostly Mexicans. Not that that is a bad thing, just sayin'. They of course have to live somewhere, so have taken over most of Monterey. You cannot buy alcohol in Monterey, either, which is probably a good thing. The new Super 8 motel has room rates that belong on a coastline. $80 for night?? Here?? You gotta be kidden'.. If you live in Monterey, you have to go elsewhere for everything.... Getting up the hill from Cookeville or Livingston in the winter is a nightmare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville