Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 07:02 PM

718 posts, read 2,361,170 times

Advertisements

We always do the theme park and stay at the Polynesian. This year, my husband's friend wants us to go on a cruise with them. (They went last year and had a blast) I want to do the theme park, call it the kid in me, but I am just wondering if our kids would stayed occupied during the cruise without the usual park distractions (ages 7 and 5). Any suggestions? And BTW, I do not want to do both! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 08:53 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,915 times
Your children will have just as much fun on the cruise as they would in the park. The Disney Magic (the boat we were on) had a whole deck devoted to the kids. There was many times I heard the parents say the kids didn't want to leave the kids activity areas. I have to admit too...that my husband and I enjoyed the Disney Cruise line so much that we want to go back and do it again... this time...without the kid.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:06 PM

325 posts, read 1,077,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statefan View Post
We always do the theme park and stay at the Polynesian. This year, my husband's friend wants us to go on a cruise with them. (They went last year and had a blast) I want to do the theme park, call it the kid in me, but I am just wondering if our kids would stayed occupied during the cruise without the usual park distractions (ages 7 and 5). Any suggestions? And BTW, I do not want to do both! Thanks!
In my opinion the disney cruise is a better option especially if you have already done the parks. While there are no rides there are tons of activities, pools and other water sports. You would also save money as meals are included and unlimited. The most expensive thing at the parks is the food portion. Disney also has its own private island that is really nice. I used to work for Disney so I know a lot about both. PM me if you have specific questions.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:43 PM

718 posts, read 2,361,170 times
I think the thing that really intrigues me about the cruise, is the whole leave the kids in the care of the disney employees and, here is a pager, we will call you if there is a problem. Call me a bad mom, but I desperately need some time away from them, and the whole idea of me and my husband being able to do whatever we want, but with the kids not so far away, also doing something they enjoy, is really growing on me!

Old 08-23-2007, 08:14 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
That's exactly why I would love the cruise. There's nothing wrong with wanting a vacation for everyone. Including you! And no standing in endless lines at 100 degrees and 100% humidity. I bet with food and activities included, it would be a bargain.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:26 AM

2,994 posts, read 3,765,311 times
oh....
I have never been in a cruise but one day, only cruise that I would like to try is Disney Cruise!!!!!

It's a dream for me!

Old 09-12-2007, 02:59 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,681,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Your children will have just as much fun on the cruise as they would in the park. The Disney Magic (the boat we were on) had a whole deck devoted to the kids. There was many times I heard the parents say the kids didn't want to leave the kids activity areas.
So true! We hardly saw the two little ones even when we wanted to drag them out to have meals

They are "military" about signing them in and out as well.
And in one awesome restaurant, Animator's Palate, the walls (masterpeices themselves) change gradually from black and white to color, in time with the meal! Pretty spectacular.
Our kids actually seemed a little more "run down" in the parks, and adults will hardly know kids are on board. Very well organized. I recommend a Disney cruise for kids of all ages!

For folks who would like to do both, you may want to opt for the relaxing cruise after the parks, for you'll need a rest/vacation then (We did five day park, then 4 day cruise.)

Sending PixieDust your way, Minnie

PS We had to coerce my sister to grant her kids school time off in February (ideal time to go for us to break up the cold winters). Wrote the Principal a letter saying it was Disney (and that we'd booked an excursion to swim with the Dolphins) and it actually counted as "Educational Experiences." The Kiddie Camp onboard had them doing all kinds of educational, fun things -- in their Labs, too! Even in port, we hung out on Disney's private Island beach while the kiddies hit the beach with the Camp Counselors.

Oh, almost forgot a BIGGIE: While the prices may be great, Hurricane season is a risk. The Cruiseline can not help what Mother Nature does. I'd especially avoid August.

Last edited by Travel'r; 09-12-2007 at 03:25 PM.. Reason: Hurricane warning

Old 09-15-2007, 09:57 PM

895 posts, read 4,249,046 times
Default Yes to the Cruise!

We did a Disney Cruise when my daughter was 15 months old. It was a great cruise experience. My husband and I both agree that once our kids are older (such as the OP's kids' ages), we would definitely go again. We were on the same floor as the kids club and the kids would march past our room and they looked like they were having a blast. There are activities for everyone but this is truly a "family" cruise. There are not that many late night activities so be prepared for the ship to quiet down before 10PM. The food was decent. The staff was exceptional. I was pregnant on the cruise and craving caesar salad and our waiter knew that. Even though it wasn't on the menu at each restaurant, he would bring it to me each night. A couple at our table had a daughter in the kids club and she would throw a tantrum when they'd make her eat at the table with us and leave her "friends" at the kids club. We had some issues with our bill and someone else's bill and they bent over backwards to accomodate us for the mistake, sending us champagne and lunch to our cabin. The Disney magic definitely extends to the cruises!

Old 09-18-2007, 03:58 PM

2 posts, read 13,311 times
I`ll never been in Disney Cruise. It must be very fun. hm... It`s seem`s i never go there((

Old 10-20-2007, 03:31 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,188,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesspolamalu View Post
Disney also has its own private island that is really nice.
Can you tell me if the island is wheelchair accessible? What about using the chair on the ship? Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises