Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2013, 04:55 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,807,420 times

Advertisements

Just got back from a 5 day cruise with carnival ecstasy. The food was terrible, service in dining room was horrendous. The wait staff were rude and every single day we had to ask at least 2-3 times for a soda. The water tasted terrible and even the shower water left skin itchy. Our soap was not changed or replaced during the 5 days.
I had cruised carnival twice before and never again. Royal Caribbean so far gets my votes
It seems like the service is gone due to the tips being automatically put on the charge card so there is no improvement to strive for
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 09:47 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Just got back from a 5 day cruise with carnival ecstasy. The food was terrible, service in dining room was horrendous. The wait staff were rude and every single day we had to ask at least 2-3 times for a soda. The water tasted terrible and even the shower water left skin itchy. Our soap was not changed or replaced during the 5 days.
I had cruised carnival twice before and never again. Royal Caribbean so far gets my votes
It seems like the service is gone due to the tips being automatically put on the charge card so there is no improvement to strive for
of course they all use the auto tipping now so it really doesn't make much difference which line one chooses. I havn't felt the service overall has gone downhil, but have sometimes had less than great service in the dining rooms. It seems to depend on the server and the day, not the line.

I think everyone finds a line that works for them. It is important to try each one, or each one in your budget and class. When you find what works, stick with it, if for no other reason, the perks that come with being a frequent cruiser with that line.

Now, the Ecstasy, I have yet to be on any cruise of 5 days or less that has really impressed me and the Ecstasy is really much older. It is probably about to be handed over to anyother company I would bet. The only short cruise that seems to get fairly consistant decent reviews is the NCL Sky and certainly not always,that's for sure.

Good luck with your future cruise choices.

Nita

Old 02-08-2013, 12:00 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,067,847 times
The Disney Dream gets consistently good reviews as well. I sailed her a couple of years ago and my only complaint was that it was over too quickly.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
The Disney Dream gets consistently good reviews as well. I sailed her a couple of years ago and my only complaint was that it was over too quickly.
you are certainly right about the Dream: I had forgotten them, as I was thinking the basic, mass marketed lines, not Disney which is a little more upscale and specialized. Disney does a great job at what they do and certainly appeals to a certain group of cruisers...

Old 02-09-2013, 01:48 PM

2,296 posts, read 3,126,285 times
I thought this would be about MDMA at Mardi Gras.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:05 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,920,209 times
Op's post is rather amusing. The ship must have really took a dive since my family was on it in Nov 2012. The Ecstasy is in great shape, the food was just fine, and the staff was simply ninja-like in that everytime we entered our stateroom, things were freshened. I guess some people expect to buy a Rolls Royce at the price of a Chevy.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Op's post is rather amusing. The ship must have really took a dive since my family was on it in Nov 2012. The Ecstasy is in great shape, the food was just fine, and the staff was simply ninja-like in that everytime we entered our stateroom, things were freshened. I guess some people expect to buy a Rolls Royce at the price of a Chevy.
I agree that people need to manage their expectations when booking a cruise. People who are happy with a Motel 6 and Golden Corral will most likely be satisfied with a Carnival cruise. Those who typically stay in better hotels will be very unhappy. No one should expect much other than cafeteria food and and a cabin with very basic furnishings when they are paying $30 a night.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:09 AM

44,635 posts, read 61,645,680 times
Quote:
I agree that people need to manage their expectations when booking a cruise. People who are happy with a Motel 6 and Golden Corral will most likely be satisfied with a Carnival cruise. Those who typically stay in better hotels will be very unhappy. No one should expect much other than cafeteria food and and a cabin with very basic furnishings when they are paying $30 a night.
^^^ 100% agree. You basically get what you pay for.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
don't want to turn this into a heated argument but I don't know on any cruise that is $30 a night, now many motels that are. I know you like the upscale, small ship cruising and yes, they are wonderful for those who can afford them, but mass market lines have some great ships, great itineraries and a lot to offer, but the don't go, even on sale, even for Travel agents for $30 a night.

Nitrum, you are right, you get what you pay for, but there are good deals out there that offer upscale experiences for middle class prices, if you know where to look and when to go. it is like anything else, sales can give you more bang for your buck..

Old 02-16-2013, 01:21 PM

True, $30 is low. However Carnival currently has a few cruises as low as $46 a night. Same idea. Don't expect Champagne on a beer budget.

Motels don't include food and "entertainment." The thought of a $30 motel is just downright scary. I live in the cheap motel capital of the world, and even here they start at around $50--with the bonus of a meth lab in the next room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises