Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 06:26 PM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times

Advertisements

The stupid is strong everywhere with this one, absolutely zero sympathies from me.

First of all, the chances of them getting anywhere near the coronavirus on this trip is too low to even be concerned about.

Second, anyone that spends over 30 grand on any trip and doesn't specifically get trip cancellation/travel protection insurance is a fool. Especially one that decides to do so on a whim.

The family can try to 'shame' Norwegian all they want but I sincerely hope Norwegian doesn't cave and refund them something.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/norwegian...193811727.html

Quote:
A family from Hawaii says that they want to cancel their upcoming Asian cruise out of concern over coronavirus, but Norwegian Cruise Line won't refund the $32,000 they've already paid for their trip.

Maui resident Pua Morrison told Honolulu TV station KHON2 that she and seven family members were scheduled to leave on a cruise scheduled to stop in Hong Kong. But with the number of coronavirus cases rising in China, she says they decided to cancel their cruise and excursions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2020, 11:30 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,783,775 times
The thing is, the ship is going to visit Hong Kong (although NCL may very well cancel that port). Right now, there are a few cases of coronavirus there, under control, and hopefully, China's puppet leader in Hong Kong will have the sense to finally close off Hong Kong's border with China completely, so that there won't be any more.

There are a few cases of coronavirus in many countries, including ours, with close monitoring and borders being closed to people entering from China, with those who must be allowed in, undergoing mandatory quarantine.

I can certainly sympathize with people who are holding off on planning travel right now, under the circumstances. But this family hasn't got a leg to stand on. It's not as if the ship is docking in Hubei province! It's not even docking in mainland China. And I wouldn't be surprised if by the time they go, NCL cancels Hong Kong, too, if there's any risk whatsoever.

I hope NCL stands firm, too. And I think that most of their customers would feel the same way.

Old 02-04-2020, 12:02 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,832,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
The stupid is strong everywhere with this one, absolutely zero sympathies from me.

First of all, the chances of them getting anywhere near the coronavirus on this trip is too low to even be concerned about.

Second, anyone that spends over 30 grand on any trip and doesn't specifically get trip cancellation/travel protection insurance is a fool. Especially one that decides to do so on a whim.

The family can try to 'shame' Norwegian all they want but I sincerely hope Norwegian doesn't cave and refund them something.

If you read the article that YOU linked, it says she DID purchase travel insurance but NCL says that their insurance doesn't cover "epidemics".
Ultimately I believe NCL will rethink this and cancel the ports or the entire cruise.

Hong Kong is PART of China and the U.S. government is warning Americans NOT to go there.

I believe she should get a refund.

BTW: There are confirmed cases in EVERY country on the itinerary.

Old 02-04-2020, 02:53 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,716,779 times
Just wait.

If the epidemics get bad enough, NCL will probably cancel the cruise or change their route to avoid Hong Kong.

Old 02-04-2020, 04:01 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,709,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

Did even read the link you posted, huh?

Quote:
Even though Morrison purchased travel insurance, she says Norwegian told her the policy doesn't cover an epidemic.

Old 02-04-2020, 06:51 AM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times
Have some of you actually read the article yourselves?

Come now, read:

Quote:
Norwegian spokesman Jose Cano told USA TODAY that the travel insurance policy Morrison and her family purchased only covered medical emergencies, not cancellations for any reason.

In an email statement, he said, "We always strive to do right by our guests while maintaining the business policies and practices we have in place to help us manage through situations just like this. It is because of the very nature of unexpected situations that we strongly recommend that guests obtain travel protection insurance."

He added, "As a convenience to our guests, we offer a few travel protection plans at time of booking, as well as during several follow-up communications. The plans allow for coverage in many situations. Some plans offer guests the opportunity to cancel for any reason."

Cano also noted, "As is common in the travel and tourism industry, we have developed cancellation policies. They are communicated to our guests at (the) time of booking and can be found on our website."

When I purchase tickets online for anything, I am always given the option for various forms of travel insurance and protection plans. I actually take the TIME to read what is covered and what is not. Basic common sense.

Like I said, you'd think anyone that spent over 30 grand on a trip would read the fine print and realize that travel insurance doesn't always cover everything. I'm sure this family read the fine print after the fact and realized they screwed up, and now are trying to shame the company into giving them a refund.

Rule are rules.

Now, did any of YOU read the article fully?

Please don't cave Norwegian!

Old 02-04-2020, 09:15 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,832,732 times
We sailed on this same ship, the Norwegian Jade, around the Mediterranean Sea in 2011. We were supposed to port in Alexandria, Egypt (the highlight) but the Arab Spring forced NCL to cancel that port and we spent those nights in Istanbul instead.

Many people cancelled who only had a deposit down at that point. We too, had medical/evacuation insurance.
Cancel-for-any-reason insurance is very expensive and filled with loopholes, none of which favor the purchaser. (NCL eventually upgraded us to a mini-suite, from a balcony, and gave us some OBC.)

Meanwhile there is a Princess ship whose passengers are being quarantined onboard at this moment. Also a Costa ship that is/was quarantined.

I believe ultimately NCL will back down on this decision. To force these people to go, then have someone become ill or die would be a disaster for the company.

Old 02-04-2020, 03:12 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,145,779 times
Ms. Morrison is over-worried. NCL will most likely stop port call at Hong Kong (RCCL already did). In the unlikely scenario that the ship makes port call at Hong Kong, she can just stay on the ship.

State Department issued Level 4 travel advisory (CDC travel warning Level 3) to Mainland China, not including Hong Kong and Macao. Hong Kong has been issued Level 2 travel advisory (Exercise Increased Caution) due to some coronavirus cases and civil unrest (demonstrations now mostly stopped).

Last edited by Ian_Lee; 02-04-2020 at 04:05 PM..

Old 02-04-2020, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Just wait.

If the epidemics get bad enough, NCL will probably cancel the cruise or change their route to avoid Hong Kong.
Most likely re-routed to Keelung (the port of Taipei). Re-routing is quite common on Asia cruise especially during the summer season due to typhoon.

An Okinawa cruise may end up as a Vietnam cruise.

Last edited by Ian_Lee; 02-04-2020 at 03:37 PM..

Old 02-04-2020, 03:20 PM

I encounter another dilemma. My wife is boarding on a RCCL Mediterranean cruise in May. Her roommate is a Hong Kong passport holder. I know that RCCL temporarily disallows anyone from Hong Kong to board any cruise but with full refund. I called RCCL yesterday and they said it is too early to tell if the ban is still effective in May. So air ticket and hotel are put on hold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises