Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2019, 07:20 AM

40 posts, read 24,420 times

Advertisements

Cruising the islands south of Florida on a [Mod cut.] Cruise was lots of fun until it was time for lunch or dinner. We headed to the buffet. There was lots of food but the quality was just TERRIBLE. I have been to many different buffets and their food was deluxe in comparison to the buffet on[Mod cut.]. By the end of the week, I could not face the food and just did not eat.

The food at the free sit down restaurant was not so good either. (I had no money in my buffet for the paid restaurants.)

Your thoughts about the food quality at the [Mod cut.] Cruise ship buffets? (And the other ships)

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-06-2019 at 11:18 PM..

Old 06-02-2019, 08:01 AM

19,436 posts, read 27,827,273 times
I'm wondering why you chose to eat at the buffet for dinner every night - remain dining room isn't extra cost. But whatever.

Food is probably the most subjective topic related to cruising. I guarantee you that What you think is terrible someone else thought was delicious.

For example, We enjoyed the food on MSC. Others complained about it rather strongly. We disliked the food in the main dining room on NCL and wouldn't sail them again without budgeting for dinner in the extra cost restaurants for several nights. Others think the MDR food is terrific.

We've always enjoyed the buffet on Celebrity. More for the variety of choices than the 'deliciousness'. Especially like the multiple ethnic stations. We also have lunch in port restaurant quite often when we cruise.

Old 06-02-2019, 02:15 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,267,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty but odd View Post
Cruising the islands south of Florida on a [Mod cut.] Cruise was lots of fun until it was time for lunch or dinner. We headed to the buffet. There was lots of food but the quality was just TERRIBLE. <snip>

The food at the free sit down restaurant was not so good either. (I had no money in my budget for the paid restaurants.)

Your thoughts about the food quality at the [Mod cut.] Cruise ship buffets? (And the other ships)
Never been on a [Mod cut.] cruise ship (have been on UnCruise 4 times but that's <100 passengers, totally different). My impression from reading a lot of posts on CruiseCritic is that the lower-cost liens such as [Mod cut.] price the cruises as cheaply as possible to get you on board- and then you're an "income stream". They really make their money from all the extra charges- drinks packages, excursions, selling photos, the gift shop, the spa, etc. Given this, it makes perfect business sense to have not-so-great offerings in the main dining room and at the buffet: not only does it cut their food costs, but it drives more people to the restaurants with "upcharges", motivates others to get their meals in port, and, as in your case, just eat less.

And, to be fair, I cannot imagine how any cruise line can store and prepare enough food for a several-day cruise for a few thousand people and do a decent job of it.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-06-2019 at 11:21 PM..

Old 06-02-2019, 04:19 PM

6,626 posts, read 7,340,970 times
In general I think the quality dropped a little on several cruise lines and is currently on the way back up. Having said that I don't think most guest will have a problem finding something they can eat. The problem is finding too much of what you can eat.

Old 06-02-2019, 07:34 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Some of the cruise lines, [Mod cut.], for one, went in big for the cattle car approach to cruising; bigger boats to enable cheaper fares, then recruiting heavily in the developing world: Latin America, Hong Kong, India. I went on one of their cruises just as they were transitioning over to a lower-end market. The only people who thought the food was good were the 3rd-worlders. They raved about it! The rest of us were "meh". Buffet or dining rooms, made no difference.

I'm guessing this was the problem you encountered.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-06-2019 at 11:22 PM..

Old 06-03-2019, 06:45 AM

19,436 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Some of the cruise lines, [Mod cut.], for one, went in big for the cattle car approach to cruising; bigger boats to enable cheaper fares, then recruiting heavily in the developing world: Latin America, Hong Kong, India. I went on one of their cruises just as they were transitioning over to a lower-end market. The only people who thought the food was good were the 3rd-worlders. They raved about it! The rest of us were "meh". Buffet or dining rooms, made no difference.

I'm guessing this was the problem you encountered.
There are so many misstatements in this post that it makes me wonder if you have actually been On a cruise.

Hong Kong is a "developing country"?!!? Umm, it's not even a country. More importantly, I think it's like the 10th or 12th largest world economy.

There are SO many different methods of analyzing and defining "developing countries" - there is no universal measure and debates are commonplace. But you're not gonna find many that would include Latin America in their list.

India - that's a pretty accurate inclusion.

I've taken 25+ cruises and have NEVER heard ANY worker rave OR complain about the food. (One exception - 'Pillow talk' chat with the first officer I dated for 1.5 years.) I'd venture a guess that the staff is explicitly trained to not make comments like that.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-06-2019 at 11:24 PM..

Old 06-05-2019, 07:15 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
[Mod cut.] ships have multiple free eating places. The buffet, deli, MDR, pizza shop, BBQ, burger place, Mexican place, room service. You couldn't find anything to eat?

Also, the paid restaurant is about $35. Who cruises without $35?

I suspect some shenanigans here. Unrealistic expectations at the very least.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-06-2019 at 11:24 PM..

Old 06-06-2019, 11:15 PM

44,353 posts, read 20,056,503 times
Per the Terms of Service, consumer complaints are not permitted. Thread closed.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises