Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2008, 03:10 PM

672 posts, read 5,821,646 times

Advertisements

My husband and I just got back from a cruise. The day we got back, my husband started having bouts of dizziness, which he has never had before. The cruise was very rough, but not the last few days. I was dizzy on the cruise for one night but that was it.

We have been on many other cruises before, and this has never happened. I guess perhaps it could be from the airplane ride too, because it started the day we got off the ship/flew home.

I started feeling muscle aches and lots of fatigue the day we came home, but no dizziness and no other symptoms.

I can't help but wonder that his symptoms, and/or mine were caused by either the cruise or the airplane trip.

Has anyone ever experienced this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 07:52 PM

351 posts, read 1,873,516 times
I travel a lot, and find that I always feel discombobulated and unfocused (i.e., my eyes don't focus) for several days after a trip. I always put it down to middle-of-the-night departures, altered sleep schedules and pressure in the sinus cavity, but I've started to wonder. I'll be interested to read other responses. Thanks for posting!

Old 02-06-2008, 09:18 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,745,841 times
Exposing your inner ear to the constant rolling motion of a boat for an extended period of time can cause your balance to feel "off" once you return to solid, dry land. This feeling goes away fairly rapidly.

However, when you factor in the muscle aches and fatigue, it sounds more likely you've picked up some kind of bug.

A trip to your local clinic would certainly clarify things.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:29 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,428,360 times
We went on a cruise for a week, I felt the ship rocking for days after we got home. I was indeed dizzy.

However I have never had the other symptoms you speak of.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:44 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,430,343 times
Are you dehydrated? Being on a plane can make you dehydrated if you don't really focus on downing water. I get dehydrated very easily and that sounds like my symptoms.

On the other hand, it could just be a bug.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:25 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,941,885 times
I've had all of the above, depending either because of a time change or the rocking of the boat. Sometimes it doesn't kick in until 24 hours later. Usually goes away after 3 or 4 days. Drink lots of water and try to keep your regular sleep habits.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:00 AM

739 posts, read 2,185,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Are you dehydrated? Being on a plane can make you dehydrated if you don't really focus on downing water. I get dehydrated very easily and that sounds like my symptoms.

On the other hand, it could just be a bug.
I agree, based on experience, good chance of dehydration.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:58 PM

699 posts, read 2,894,533 times
I just returned from a cruise of 8 days. I have the same symptoms you describe. I was fine on the ship but have been experiencing bouts of dizziness since we arrived home on the 5th. Today is the 8th and I feel much better. This is not the first time I felt the effects after I returned home. Should be back to normal real soon.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:42 PM

329 posts, read 1,271,318 times
Planes are so confined, not cleaned that often and a breading ground for viruses and bacteria.

2 out of the last 3 times I was on a plane - I ended up sick after getting back home. First time - I was dizzy - lasted 10+ days - went to the doctor - she said I had an ear infection probably caught it on the plane and it was proabably viral so I just had to wait it out..............

Old 11-13-2008, 01:56 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,989,910 times
I've had that after several ( but not all) cruises I've taken! It's more of a ship "after reaction" than the plane. Although, I've had some painful ear experiences from flying as I have sinus problems.
It will eventually go away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises