Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 07:09 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Please see post 16.
I did, thanks, after I posted that. I withdraw the question!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 07:12 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Actually I was kind of surprised by this response, especially by someone who lives pretty close to GZ. While I don't think what your saying is wrong, from what I know from a couple of those families (as I live in the NY metropolitan area too), they DON'T want the huge to-dos to disappear; if anything, they're afraid if they do, 9/11 will be "forgotten" faster and disappear from people's memories.

If anything I hear what you are saying more from people NOT directly affected by 9/11, things like, "it's 12 years, haven't they had enough already?", "do we need to keep being reminded of this, let's move on", etc.

In that sense, I think going through the decades, it will play out in terms of public consciousness pretty much the same way Pearl Harbor played out.......
Some of us just AREN'T going to be able to forget, ever. It's 8:46 a.m. on September 11, 2001, in my head at some point every single day, and I suspect that will be the case until the day I die. And in less than two weeks, everyone will show up at work in my office remembering all the people we once worked with that didn't make it out that day. We can't just pretend it's not there.

I don't expect people who were not closely impacted to feel that way, though, anymore than I think of the Joplin tornados or Katrina every day.

I do like to read about it, however, so I hope if Al Jazeera or any other media outlet covers it, they do a well-thought-out job with a fresh perspective.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:32 AM

702 posts, read 726,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
As for Al Jazeera's "biases", I've always been kind of split on them. Like (sadly) most news outlets today, be it MSNBC or Faux News, etc. they show a clear "bias" in a lot of their Middle East reporting. No, they don't scream "death to America" or "the Israelis are devils" on air, etc. and I wouldn't call their reporting to be anything like that, but when there's say an Israeli-Palestinian incident (be it a terrorist attack or some incident where the IDF had "collateral damage" and some innocent civilians got hurt or killed in the crossfire), the terrorists are ALWAYS referred to in terms that smack of "self defense" regarding the former and the IDF as being "aggressive" or "bad planning", etc. regarding the latter. Now it's possible the "bad planning" part (in terms of avoiding civilian casualties) is sometimes true, but AJ ALWAYS refers to these kinds of events that way.
But that is true, though.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:31 AM

17,614 posts, read 17,656,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
Ah, no. Liberals like PBS because its news is unbiased and delivered at an intellectual level suitable to the higher IQs of liberals (versus low-IQ/dim wattage right wingers).
Be careful, you Mayfield on your hubris. PBS reporters are biased. Their funding relies on federal tax money they get from democrats.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:02 AM

702 posts, read 726,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Be careful, you Mayfield on your hubris. PBS reporters are biased. Their funding relies on federal tax money they get from democrats.
Reality has a well-known liberal bias.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:07 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EntropyGuardian View Post
Reality has a well-known liberal bias.
They don't do reality, that's why they watch FOX

Old 08-30-2013, 02:26 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,456,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Really? PBS received less than 12% of its operating revenue from the federal government.

BTW, you (intentionally, sadly) misspelled "democrats." It's "Democrats," just as "republicans" are properly termed "Republicans." This sort of childish nonsense epitomizes the pettiness of the radical right wing in America. Fortunately, Republicans are dying out -- their only constituency is elderly white folk. The demise of the America-Hating/Terrorist-enabling Republican right is near. That's good news for America!

Old 08-30-2013, 02:41 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
Ah, no. Liberals like PBS because its news is unbiased and delivered at an intellectual level suitable to the higher IQs of liberals (versus low-IQ/dim wattage right wingers).
It is the same exact thing as CNN just different people and crappy quality.

Old 08-30-2013, 02:50 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,456,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
It is the same exact thing as CNN just different people and crappy quality.
If you believe this, I seriously doubt you watch PBS.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:40 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times
AJ is my favorite news source because they are the most objective and I think they will stay true to form.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events