Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 03:47 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,104,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrels View Post
This is something that's really been getting on my nerves for the last year or two. CNN used to be a good, reliable, relatively unbiased news outlet. But it seems lately all they do is try to stir up trouble. a lot of the articles on their US section are meaningless and have no place as a headline on a national news outlet, but they write them up and post them because they can throw something sensational into it - seems like every crime whose victim and perpetrator have different skin colors gets run through over and over and over again, with the race aspect being brought up at every last opportunity, even when (especially when) race played absolutely no part in the crime.

On top of that, they drag out and beat news stories til long past the time they should be left to die. Fo example, that kidnapping victim hannah anderson, cnn simply will not shut up about her. There was an article last week going on about how she liked twitter. They just won't let her get back to her life.

That's just one example of the trend CNN has been following for a while now. CNN has lost a lot of credibility with me just because of the horrible angles they throw on everyday events and common crime, with no apparent motivation beyond making trouble.

Am I alone in noticing all this?

No, you are not alone. The same has been noticed by many commenters on the Huffington Post about CNN. Unfortunately, the Huffington Post has been guilty of the same things you mentioned about CNN, only the Huffington Post does their best to slander Republicans, not Obama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 04:50 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,772,817 times
Who is that ugly little Communist guy with the English accent? I only watch TV when I'm in a cardio theatre at the gym. And I can only take about thirty seconds of his Marxist drivel, before I switch the audio to another screen. So, I never catch his name.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:27 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
I must admit I'd never considered, or even heard, HLN considered a "news" source. Like DofM said, it's pure trash. I actually watched it briefly for the first time ever during the very end of the Jodi A. trial. I saw enough to wonder why anyone would look to them for news, but then I realized there are also mentalities who look to TMZ for news. Go figure!

As for Nancy Grace, she's an embarrassment to humanity, on all levels. If my dog acted that unstable, I would have it euthanized.

As for the others mentioned, with 24 hour news stations, I suppose they're going to get hung up on what's hot for the moment. I prefer news without some moronic talking head trying to tell me what to think, but I guess they have to fill the minutes and hours somehow!

Old 09-05-2013, 07:45 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,117,601 times
Don't watch ANY news. It's all bull**** manipulation. Anything to keep up fighting left vs right.

Not only did CNN used to be reputable, they will continue to get worse.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:23 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,859,543 times
CNN = Created News Network

Does anyone remember a time when journalism was a noble profession?

Old 09-05-2013, 10:52 PM

588 posts, read 796,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I must admit I'd never considered, or even heard, HLN considered a "news" source.
In the 1980s, HLN actually was a reputable news source. HLN repeated the headlines, while the other CNN provided more depth to significant stories. HLN stopped providing news shortly after MTV stopped providing music videos.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:46 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Data1000 View Post
In the 1980s, HLN actually was a reputable news source. HLN repeated the headlines, while the other CNN provided more depth to significant stories. HLN stopped providing news shortly after MTV stopped providing music videos.
Oh, Good Heavens! It just clicked........are you talking about Headline News? THAT'S what Headline News became? That shrill and shrieking hot mess? I honestly didn't realize that was what Headline News had become! I seriously thought HLN was some goofy courtroom brawl channel.

I failed to make the connection.

I feel really silly for not knowing that. And sad, in an obscure kind of way, lol.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:04 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,242,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
No, you are not alone. The same has been noticed by many commenters on the Huffington Post about CNN. Unfortunately, the Huffington Post has been guilty of the same things you mentioned about CNN, only the Huffington Post does their best to slander Republicans, not Obama.
Indeed. Where agenda was once only slightly detectable (and thus tolerable) in news outlets, it has become glaringly obvious. Such obvious slant destroys any journalistic credibility.

All of the major tv and print news outlets are guilty of the practice: NBC, ABC, CBS, CNN, NY Times, The Washington Post... etc...

Old 09-06-2013, 07:18 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,440,929 times
Just watch or change to another channel. No one is forcing you to choose CNN.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:47 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Just watch or change to another channel. No one is forcing you to choose CNN.

That's what people have been doing with the "big three" network news outlets--changing the channel. Taking note of their bias, and complaining about it is the right thing to do, however, unless we want to see an ever-dwindling number of choices to...."choose" from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events