Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 01:10 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,904,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlaker View Post
I don't take the paper from Denver myself, but could this have had anything to do with the fact that over the past 20 years, Republicans -- led ever further to the right by fundies, neocons, and corporatists -- have been running more and more extremists and ideologues for office and fewer and fewer actual politicians?
Yes, yes, THAT'S it! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
Funny - I didn't see a single comment saying that they cancelled the paper due to a right-wing slant. Lots of comments saying the paper was going left-wing.

Maybe time for editors and newspaper owners to take a hard look at the objectivity of the newsroom.
Oh, it's long, long past time for this. That is, in a SANE business model. Newspapers have bizarrely decided that consciously antagonizing and attacking almost half of their potential buyers and advertisers will somehow work out in the end. They have chosen ideology over their businesses' viability....that's what it boils down to.

Old 12-14-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Actually, the piece of trash Examiner was mentioned in Post-77. And despite what extremists may believe, the typical newspaper is conservative and to the right of center. It's just that some people are so far from the center that anything in that direction looks like a leftist rag to them.
My bet is that you actually are soooo far left that everything else looks rightwing. (And I kind of know your territory: ex-Jerry Brown campaigner, Jesse Jackson delegate, Green Party activist, union rep, Bernie Sanders supporter, etc. etc. etc. here........but I know: all of that leftist activism puts me just slightly to the left of Genghis Khan in your eyes...)

Old 12-14-2013, 02:04 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,510,437 times
I stopped subscribing to our local newspaper because I can get all the news I want, when and where I want it, online. Even better -- its free.

Might it be that our political viewpoints have moved, not the papers'. That could make it seem as though the papers' viewpoint moved.

I say this because I have noted that, as they grow older, many of my friends' political opinions have gradually shifted. Most moved toward the right. I think I read - somewhere - that this is fairly common.

Old 12-14-2013, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
I stopped subscribing to our local newspaper because I can get all the news I want, when and where I want it, online. Even better -- its free.

Might it be that our political viewpoints have moved, not the papers'. That could make it seem as though the papers' viewpoint moved.

I say this because I have noted that, as they grow older, many of my friends' political opinions have gradually shifted. Most moved toward the right. I think I read - somewhere - that this is fairly common.

http://economics.mit.edu/files/1218

You might be interested in this major MIT study which quantified the major shift in newspapers' political ideology over the last 50 years. It's only gotten more pronounced since the study. (And then, of course, there is the qualitative evidence...which to me is even more robust.....)

Old 12-14-2013, 05:58 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Then you and your j-school are a part of the problem.
Pathetic. Newspapers exist to make a profit in the traditional business model. If you know of any successful non-profit newspapers, do spill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
Funny - I didn't see a single comment saying that they cancelled the paper due to a right-wing slant.
Any former subscribers to the Cincinnati Enquirer around? Other than Mircea?

Old 12-16-2013, 06:00 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,595,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Pathetic. Newspapers exist to make a profit in the traditional business model. If you know of any successful non-profit newspapers, do spill.
I was fond of the free AM New York handed out by hobos on the subway in Manhattan.

Some of the journalism was more mature than what I received from paid newspapers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events