Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 10:20 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,391,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
Also amusing is the toxic witches brew of chemicals that goes into making the panels which is discharged into the air and water, just so some liberal can feel smug about his soon to be leaky roof.
Nothing quite like a warm fire and a snug cave. But ALEC is still just a lying trashmouth group funded by the usual corporate and mega-wealthy America-killer wannabes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 01:52 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Indeed.

Electricity is so cheap here going solar would be a waste of money.

Also amusing is the toxic witches brew of chemicals that goes into making the panels which is discharged into the air and water, just so some liberal can feel smug about his soon to be leaky roof.
The amount of toxic chemicals released into air and water during the manufacturing of solar panels is only a fraction of that released by traditional power plants on a per-kwh basis. By choosing to not use solar panels is choosing to destroy the planet. A selfish and careless act, indeed.

It amazes me how much harm people are willing to do, just to save some money.

Old 12-07-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Same here, but we have the additional problem of not enough sun to use solar except July and August.
The natural gas for heating runs our bill up to $300 this time of year. A better solution is geo-thermal, but the payback is still close to 20 years so you'd have to stay in the same house a long time.
Unless you're house is being destroyed soon, the net gain of using solar panels and geothermal-thermal solutions will be positive. You may not be living in the home, but someone will be and during their entire time, less pollution will be released into the atmosphere. Let's stop with this short term, selfish thinking.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:51 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,594,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlaker View Post
Nothing quite like a warm fire and a snug cave. But ALEC is still just a lying trashmouth group funded by the usual corporate and mega-wealthy America-killer wannabes.
Wood smoke particulates are dangerous to breathe in my man.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The amount of toxic chemicals released into air and water during the manufacturing of solar panels is only a fraction of that released by traditional power plants on a per-kwh basis. By choosing to not use solar panels is choosing to destroy the planet. A selfish and careless act, indeed.

It amazes me how much harm people are willing to do, just to save some money.
If solar can't compete with electric, who's fault is that?

I will always gravitate towards the more economically feasible choice.

Also "choosing to destroy the planet" is a bit overdramatic lol. The planet can and has survived much worse than us.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:45 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,391,506 times
Quote:
Well, solar produces electricity, so it's hard to say.

Quote:
Is that a short-term or long-term decison rule that you are following?

Quote:
Also "choosing to destroy the planet" is a bit overdramatic lol. The planet can and has survived much worse than us.
Really? What was it? Dinsoaurs ruled the earth for hundred of millions of years and the earth had no problems. We've been around for less than 200,000 years and look at the mess we've made.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlaker View Post
Well, solar produces electricity, so it's hard to say.

Is that a short-term or long-term decison rule that you are following?

Really? What was it? Dinsoaurs ruled the earth for hundred of millions of years and the earth had no problems. We've been around for less than 200,000 years and look at the mess we've made.
I agree with everything you say except for the Dinosaurs part (not necessarily disagreeing either).

One thing is for sure. The way we produce electricity via burning organic compounds creates a significant amount of pollution that is bad for living things. You only have to go for a walk in Shanghai and then have a doctor inspect your lungs to experience this.

Wind, solar, whatever. If you aren't making efforts to use green energy, you're ruining this planet for future generations. It's a selfish and careless act. If you own a home and don't have solar panels, you're selfishly contributing to something much worse than the national debt for future life that will roam this planet.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:55 PM

Quote:

I find it hilarious that people are obsessed with money... Are you obsessed with air and water too?

Old 12-08-2013, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Wind, solar, whatever. If you aren't making efforts to use green energy, you're ruining this planet for future generations. It's a selfish and careless act. If you own a home and don't have solar panels, you're selfishly contributing to something much worse than the national debt for future life that will roam this planet.

"Green energy" does not exist. All energies have cost.

Ethanol is worse than gasoline, and it's form a nice liberal source so you know it's true

Study: Ethanol Worse for Climate Than Gasoline : NPR

Wind farms can kill as many eagles as they please:

Wind farms can kill eagles without penalty - NBC News.com

Quote:
I find it hilarious that people are obsessed with money... Are you obsessed with air and water too?
If your precious solar is so great, why does it account for less than 1% of the Earths energy use?

Can't be due to the fact it's expensive, location specific, and woefully inefficient with most panels capturing something like 30% of the energy as useable power could it?

You seem to think I am opposed to solar. I ain't. But unless you live in the American southwest, Middle east, or Sub-Saharan Africa it is an illogical and uneconomic power source.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:11 AM

Quote:
"Green energy" does not exist. All energies have cost.

Ethanol is worse than gasoline, and it's form a nice liberal source so you know it's true

Study: Ethanol Worse for Climate Than Gasoline : NPR

Wind farms can kill as many eagles as they please:

Wind farms can kill eagles without penalty - NBC News.com
This thread is not about ethanol. But I'm not surprised you liberals bring it up like it's some super fuel.
Quote:
If your precious solar is so great, why does it account for less than 1% of the Earths energy use?

Can't be due to the fact it's expensive, location specific, and woefully inefficient with most panels capturing something like 30% of the energy as useable power could it?

You seem to think I am opposed to solar. I ain't. But unless you live in the American southwest, Middle east, or Sub-Saharan Africa it is an illogical and uneconomic power source.
It's not successful because people are selfish and care more about money (something of which is virtually unlimited) than the health of people.

Solar panels are always capable of generating energy as long as there's light. Just because you're in a colder (less sunny) environment doesn't mean that it doesn't help in generating energy. Even offsetting your organic energy usage by a small amount can help mitigate pollution. Any amount helps... whether it's 1% or 90%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events