Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2013, 03:42 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,199,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzy Bear View Post
The Judge said, that he wouldn't be able to get proper treatment and counseling in the prison system ~ I wonder if he's gone to even one counseling session thus far?~
And the teenage killer won't have the fancy chef preparing his meals, rejuvenating walks on the beach, yoga classes, first class spa, and all of the other things at his almost a half million dollar per year "rehabilitation center" on the beach if he had to go to prison. I've read that this "rehab center" is one of the most luxurious rehab centers in the entire world.

I hope that the teenage killer doesn't get "punished" too much if he has to occasionally miss his massage time because of a "counseling session" or if the chef adds too many spices to his 5 star dinner one day. (sarcasm)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 04:42 PM

50,965 posts, read 36,657,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
And the teenage killer won't have the fancy chef preparing his meals, rejuvenating walks on the beach, yoga classes, first class spa, and all of the other things at his almost a half million dollar per year "rehabilitation center" on the beach if he had to go to prison. I've read that this "rehab center" is one of the most luxurious rehab centers in the entire world.

I hope that the teenage killer doesn't get "punished" too much if he has to occasionally miss his massage time because of a "counseling session" or if the chef adds too many spices to his 5 star dinner one day. (sarcasm)
He'll probably meet Lindsay Lohan there, and they'll get married and live happily ever after.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:55 AM

17,403 posts, read 11,998,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
And I wonder how many other people can get the proper treatment and counseling in prison? Apparently the punishment part of being found guilty is irrelevant.
Welcome to the new progressive utopia. Where you get rehabilitated after a crime, instead of punished.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:01 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,507,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Welcome to the new progressive utopia. Where you get rehabilitated after a crime, instead of punished.
and not even an ordinary crime. You kill 4 - you get rehabilitation. Maybe if you manage to kill just one - you don't need to worry about that either!

Old 12-17-2013, 10:30 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,633,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Depends on the state. Here in Oklahoma, the first two DUI's are misdemeanors. Then the DA can make it a felony. Their sentence can be enhanced for each DUI after that. I know of 100's of cases of people serving 10 years in prison for DUI. Finally, it can go as high as 20 years.

In the old days, a person could have DUI after DUI, but not anymore.

One thing I have noticed is, for the most part, prison is full of poor people. It's a fact of life and like stan4 said in a previous post, this incident happens all the time. People just don't know about it.
This is what just blows me away. Why is the first DUI not handled very seriously, as a felony, with the book thrown at someone then? To me that is the only way to really start putting an end to the DUI epidemic we have in this country. Throw the loser in jail for a period of time, take away that person's license for a VERY long period of time even on the first DUI- I'll bet the person will learn then not to do it again! Far, far too many needless deaths everywhere due to DUI, it's just ridiculous.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:09 AM

5,333 posts, read 8,559,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
This is what just blows me away. Why is the first DUI not handled very seriously, as a felony, with the book thrown at someone then? To me that is the only way to really start putting an end to the DUI epidemic we have in this country. Throw the loser in jail for a period of time, take away that person's license for a VERY long period of time even on the first DUI- I'll bet the person will learn then not to do it again! Far, far too many needless deaths everywhere due to DUI, it's just ridiculous.
You might find this video and article interesting:

British Columbia Drunk Driving Deaths Cut Nearly in Half | PBS NewsHour | Sept. 14, 2013 | PBS

From the article:

"The big change was that if you were now caught driving with a .05 blood alcohol level, the police were authorized – on the spot -- to fine you, suspend your drivers license, and immediately impound your car for at least three days. They’d get you out of the vehicle, and a tow truck would haul it away."

and

"During the first year the new law was in effect, the number of drunk driving deaths in British Columbia plunged. Critics argued that first year was just a fluke. But the second year? The number declined again. A 55% reduction in deaths in just two years."

Old 12-17-2013, 11:27 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,293,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
I doubt you would find any "progressives" out there who agreed with this outcome. If it were a liberal state, you'd be whining about that. But this is Texas--not really known for "progressive" justice. The judge in question was already planning to retire from the bench, so public opinion does not matter much to her. Maybe she received some funds to cushion her retirement.

In any event, the family will not have to deal with "affluenza" for long. They are going to be sued by all the victims' families. Hopefully they'll clean out the family, as it seems the entire family is a victim of affluenza and zero consequences.

Old 12-17-2013, 12:08 PM

35,760 posts, read 21,122,405 times
yea civil court seems to get it now!go for it and good luck!

Old 12-17-2013, 03:57 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,156,052 times
Ethan Couch, the rich kid is being sued

Love the first snarky line of the article: He's got a mean case of "affluenza"

Old 12-19-2013, 08:31 AM

750 posts, read 1,435,800 times
Not to pick on a big celebrity, but I was reminded of the whole "affluenza" thing the other day, watching a rerun of Giada's cooking show. She made these square little cakes for a kids' party and had a huge amount of crap on the table so each kid could decorate their own cake. The best cake would win a prize! (You know already where this is going, don't you? )

All these little rich kids are just grabbing the frosting and sprinkles and piling it on, quantity-over-quality style. A couple of kids were actually creating designs and putting some thought into it, but the rest were just obnoxious. The world doesn't have enough vaseline to smear on those camera lenses that might soften the image of those greedy little kids slapping candy and sparklies onto their cakes. So what does Giada do? She decides that they ALL get first place ribbons! Because ALL of the kids did such a wonderful cake decorating job! They proudly pin their first place ribbons on and grin at the camera. Such achievers!

And so plants the seed of affluenza and entitlement. The self-esteem movement at its finest. Just show up and you win a trophy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events