Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 08:45 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times

Advertisements

Greenpeace loses $5.2M on rogue employee trading - Houston Chronicle

Since when do 'non profits' have an investment group? May be time to rethink where your money goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 09:07 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,268,242 times
Non profits investing is extremely common. How do you think charitable foundations function? They will often invest a large sum of money and make disbursements from the income earned from those investments.

Last edited by apexgds; 06-16-2014 at 09:34 AM..

Old 06-16-2014, 09:08 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,063,208 times
Dabbling in the evil corporate world...tell me it aint so?

Love it when the EnviroNazis get screwed.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:53 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,855,614 times
I would love to see there portfolio, probably filled with big oil, tobacco, walmart, and big pharma.

bill

Old 06-16-2014, 09:29 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,626,290 times
I am a greenpeace fan and an environmental whacko. I read that it is a huge hit to their portfolio and they still are okay financially. I know they do crazy stuff but I feel it they didn't, corporations would cut down every tree, kill every fish, polute all the fresh water until there was nothing left but us humans to feed upon one another.

Look at what is happening to the elephants, the rhinos and what happened to the buffalo, the carolina parakeet, when rapacious humans arrived in America. Someone has to try and stop it.

Japan overfishes the whale population in the name of "science"......ocean game fish is almost going the way of the whale. Look at the salmon. We almost killed off the birds in the Everglades.

It is too much to take in. Fire away if you want to.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:13 AM

You have a vivid imagination and are being brainwashed by the EnviroNazis. The world is not coming to an end.

I hope Russia sinks their ship.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:00 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,800,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Non profits investing is extremely common. How do you think charitable foundations function? They will often invest a large sum of money and make disbursements from the income earned from those investments.
I don't give a second thought to Greenpeace, but what apexgds says is true. I've worked for three non-profits and all of them have investments. In the case of all three I worked for, it was mutual funds (and they have financial advisers). Same for the two non-profits I volunteered for (Girl Scouts and my community association). Think of any non profit you support... Scouts, Wounded Warriors, PETA, whatever and google "annual report ____" and you will see their financials. It's not a secret--it's very public. I am pretty sure the IRS requires that financial information for non-profits be public as part of being considered tax-exempt. You should be able to see any non-profit's tax form, 990--it's considered public information.

Usually reserve funds are invested. But also, with foundations, generally the money is invested as well and like apexgds says, the scholarships and such aren't the principle, they are the returns from the investment. So if someone gives $100k to set up a scholarship, they don't dole the scholarships out of that $100k (you'd run out of money in a few years). No, you invest that $100k and make it make more money and pay the scholarships out of that--and the scholarship lasts longer.

Doesn't make a non-profit evil Just because you are a non-profit doesn't mean you can't be smart with the money you raise. It's the same idea behind why you invest in your IRA or 401k instead of stuffing the money in a mattress. Take the money you have now and make it work for you so you can sustain yourself.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:06 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
You have a vivid imagination and are being brainwashed by the EnviroNazis. The world is not coming to an end.

I hope Russia sinks their ship.
Classy. Why would you hope that exactly, what have they done that has impacted you? May I ask why you are so disdainful of the idea of protecting the environment? This is after all the environment that you live in, why would you not want it to be in good shape?

Old 06-17-2014, 09:11 AM

I have distain for people who put others in danger with their antics.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:38 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
What antics? And again, why are you so disdainful of protecting the environment that you inhabit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events