Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 08:31 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
"I told (her) she could get a better job, but she said she didn't want to work in an office," Culhane said.

Instead they eulogized a woman who insisted on spending her money on others,
The article says she had FAMILY here. She used to use public transit until she recently bought an SUV.

Hmmm. Poor people buying SUVs.

Friends mourn woman who died napping between jobs - ABC 12

Quote:

Fernandes had the Sportage less than a year, and the vehicle was often in for repairs, according to her longtime friend and former boyfriend, Richard Culhane. He said a mechanic who repaired the engine earlier this month had discovered a problem in an exhaust valve.

Culhane said he met Fernandes over the internet and the two were close for about three years, with Fernandes even helping to care for Culhane's three children.

"If it wasn't for her, I wouldn't have custody of my kids," he said, referring to difficulties he had with the children's mother.

Culhane and others spoke of Fernandes' generous acts, such as the time she gave a homeless person a tent and sleeping bag.

Despite her long work hours, Fernandes cared for a dog and three cats, stray animals that she took in as her own, Culhane said.

Each June, Fernandes scraped the money together for a week-long trip to California, to attend a festival of her favorite musical artist, Michael Jackson.

She never earned much, but she always had money to give others, friends said today.

"She helped me out when I was going through some tough times. She gave me money," said Bruce Jirinec of Linden, who often hung out with Fernandes when she worked the overnight shift at Dunkin Donuts in Linden

Union County News | New Jersey Local News - NJ.com

It's a shame she DIDN'T WANT to "have an office job".

It's also a shame she thought it was a good idea to carry a container of GAS IN HER CAR.

According to the National Ag Safety Database, one cup of gasoline can produce enough explosive vapors to match the power of five pounds of dynamite.

WTH. I got rear ended (twice by the same person) sitting still last year.

You cannot always blame bad judgement and ignorance on economics.

There are TONS of jobs in Newark she could have qualified for, too.

Jobs Now Hiring | Snagajob

Last edited by runswithscissors; 09-06-2014 at 08:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 09:33 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,329,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
By chance, are you Portugese?
Nope, Im from the opposite side of Europe

Old 09-06-2014, 10:32 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,744,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Nope, Im from the opposite side of Europe
I see...

I didn't know Portugese people made such a big deal over being called "Hispanic," but given the turbulent history between both Spain and Portugal, it's understandable.

Portuguese-Americans against being declared Hispanic - The Portugal News

Quote:
The survey was set up by Palcus, which was created in 1991 by a select group of Portuguese-American professionals who recognised the need to address issues of importance to the Portuguese-American community of the United States.

The questionnaire of Portuguese-Americans resulted after it emerged the US Census Bureau is planning to add Portuguese to the Hispanic designation of ethnicity for the 2020 National Census.

“As there has been much debate about whether or not Portuguese should be considered Hispanic, Palcus is conducting national survey to gauge the overall sentiment of the Portuguese-American community on this issue”, the organisation said in explaining its idea to create a survey.

Palcus has been instrumental in the past harnessing support for Portuguese interests and sees itself as a consistent means of communication between the Embassy of Portugal and their representatives in the United States Congress.

Their efforts were fruitful in the early years with the establishment of the Dual Taxation Agreement (1996) and the Visa Waiver Program (1999).

Some notable personalities of Portuguese-descent are actor Tom Hanks (his mother is Portuguese), Keanu Reeves (actor), Katy Perry (singer/song-writer), Steve Perry (lead singer of Journey, who sang ‘Don’t Stop Believing’) and US congressman Tony Coelho.
Either way, as you can see by the US Census' proposal to add Portuguese people to the Hispanic umbrella, many well-meaning Americans still considered Portuguese people "Hispanic." It's not so much because their race is similar, but because of similar linguistic/cultural origins. When the term Hispania was originally coined, Portugal was ruled by Spain as they share the Iberian Peninsula with one another.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:46 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,059,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Sad, but I'd have gone to a more affordable area before staying in NJ and having to work four jobs.
The ties between NJ and Portugal are strong. She probably had Portuguese connections.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:52 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
An update article...

Friends mourn woman who died napping between jobs
Posted: Sep 06, 2014 7:33 AM MST

Friends gather to say their goodbyes during a funeral service for Maria Fernandes, 32, Friday, Sept. 5, 2014, in Newark, N.J.
Friends mourn woman who died napping between jobs - FOX 32 News Chicago

Old 09-06-2014, 10:58 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,059,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Her name aint even Hispanic, it's Portigiese
What the hell is "Portigiese"?

Old 09-06-2014, 11:05 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,754,341 times
It's simply tragic what big business has been allowed to do to us as a nation. I made $7.00 an hour in 1978. The prevailing wage where I am is just about $9.00 per hour in 2014. This while CEO pay has increased exponentially over that period of time. Something is horribly wrong with our country.

Old 09-06-2014, 02:31 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,136,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjdemak View Post
If you could actually read you would realize that I clearly stated white trash lazy people are the biggest takers of food stamps. Also I'm pretty sure the Klan would kill an Arabic American.
Yeah because we have to make the distinction that anyone who is not white is automatically considered trash. You've made that perfectly clear in your other post, Kay-Kay-kay!

And where did you "clearly state" that "white trash" are the biggest takers of food stamps?

Quote:
She should have just got pregnant had kids, and let the system pay for her, that way she would be rewarded for bad decisions, vs dieing trying to make nothing. I was in Save-A-Lot yesterday, and I forget it was the beginning of the month, seeing everyone with stacked carts who could never buy the food themselves (Food stamps/welfare) . Instead they do what I said above. I'm tired of my taxes going towards white trash, illegals, and minorities, when a hard worker like this girl dies trying to play by the rules.

You didn't. Quit your racist trolling.

Old 09-06-2014, 03:40 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
a shame that someone working 40 hours isn't making poverty level

Old 09-06-2014, 04:16 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,794,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
America is reduced to hiring illegal immigrants, while citizens can't get one job.
Ignorant people always finding a way to a) stereotype Latin American sounding names and b) scapegoat undocumented immigrants for everything.

There are plenty of jobs out there- if you can't find one, you may be too proud or not willing to hustle.

Last edited by rosa surf; 09-06-2014 at 04:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events