Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2014, 04:20 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,169,514 times

Advertisements

Mo. school bus driver takes away blind boy's cane - NY Daily News

How can anyone with this mentality be place in a position of responsibility?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 04:45 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,902,256 times
I support the bus driver. Just because you're blind doesn't give you a pass card to physically assault others. Little guy could have easily put an eye out.

I think the pool noodle was a very rational step. If your cane is the only means you can see by, I highly suggest you don't use it as a Spartan club of death.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:19 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,992,063 times
If the kid was using it against others, you have to take it to protect others. I don't give a crap if the kid is blind or not.

Old 12-19-2014, 04:19 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,941,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
I support the bus driver. Just because you're blind doesn't give you a pass card to physically assault others. Little guy could have easily put an eye out.

I think the pool noodle was a very rational step. If your cane is the only means you can see by, I highly suggest you don't use it as a Spartan club of death.
I agree with you 100% and the bus driver should be commended for doing the right and rational thing.

The mom is the culprit when she stupidly attempted to play the victimhood game and the reporter stupidly went along as an ally.

Why is this a story at all?

Old 12-19-2014, 05:51 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,837,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post

I agree. And now we know the rest of the story.

The boy struck another kid with his cane. Had the driver not taken away the cane afterwards, and had the other kid been seriously injured, the bus driver would be in hot water for that.

School bus drivers can't win for losing...

Old 12-19-2014, 06:37 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,169,514 times
So, you all support taking away the cane and not giving it back? Doesn't make sense to me.

I could see taking the cane and giving it back when the kid got off the bus and was in an environment where someone else who was not busy driving could control him; and then telling his parents that he will not be welcome back to the school until he changes his behavior. But to take it and then say go ahead and wander around the building with a pool noodle and good luck to you is not just cruel, but also dangerous - inviting a lawsuit.

I would hope there would be more to the story that said after getting off the bus, he was told to sit in the "nurses office" until his parents arrived, but it does not read that way. Hopefully more information will be released.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:25 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,998,195 times
So many things about this story I am confused about. First, why did the bus driver have a noodle on the bus to begin with? Second, why was it the school's responsibility to supply the kid with a cane? Third, why did the blind kid hit another kid to begin with? Was there an altercation and he was defending himself? Was it an accident? After all, he is blind.

Old 12-19-2014, 09:37 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,277,314 times
If he hit another child, then punishment is definitely called for. Taking away his cane is NOT appropriate punishment. If a child in a wheelchair rolled over another child's toes, would they take away his wheelchair and give him a moving dolly?

A pool noodle is not the same as a cane. He's lucky he didn't wind up tumbling down a flight of stairs.

Old 12-19-2014, 11:55 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,836,944 times
Instead of giving the blind kid a pool noodle, they should have given the other kid a white cane and a blindfold and let the two of them have it out.

Old 12-19-2014, 12:37 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,207,099 times
I agree the cane be taken away but should have been given back once off the bus. If h hit another student, then take it away for whatever time is deemed punishment. WTH is a pool noodles? Never heard of that. What is its purpose? Why is the cane property of the school? Why doesn't this kid have a personal cane? Very strange story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events