Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 04:29 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Of course there is something wrong with people who steal from others. That is a given but not the question.

Is it worth risking your life for an iPhone? You're trying to change the question.
I can't answer for everyone , but I have two material things left that have value. My phone and my car. If someone tried to take those things from me, I'd fight pretty hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 05:47 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I can't answer for everyone , but I have two material things left that have value. My phone and my car. If someone tried to take those things from me, I'd fight pretty hard.
Would you want your son to lose his life over a phone or a car?

That phones super cheap compared to never meeting your grand kids.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:33 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,749 times
I rather think that people should be applauded for standing up to thieves. It's not necessarily about the object's importance vs your life, but the fact that thieves are the worst of the worst, I'd put them right up there with rapists, molesters and murderers, and that the evildoing they engage in should be something that is opposed at every turn.

If you want to bring up the iPhone angle, well, personally, I can't stand Apple idolatry. If I had a child in their teens I'd help them buy them an Android but not buy them an iPhone, they'd have to pay for that with their own money. I can't stand their "walled garden" ecosystem and how people seem to buy their stuff with almost blind loyalty, as if Apple practically invented oxygen.

Still, Apple, Android, or heck flip-phone, I applaud someone who stands up to thieves, who fights back. I mean, heck, yes, I store sensitive information on my phone, and why not? That's what it's for, and it's MY FREAKING PHONE. What else am I supposed to, not carry any money in my wallet or keys in my pocket? I'm supposed to modify my life because of a thief? No thank you. To me, thieves and their behaviors should be met with a Chuck Norris roundhouse kick near the edge of a cliff, or with a bullet in their head. Yes, I think it should legal to SHOOT and KILL someone who has taken your stuff and is running from you, if that's what it takes to stop them. There should be that much of a zero tolerance attitude towards stealing.

Old 11-14-2014, 09:51 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,952,353 times
People who steal already disregard the law. The person who steals something from you has already demonstrated their willingness to deal with the consequences. These people however; do not think like the typical person, they behave according the laws of the jungle so to speak.

If we praise someone who fights over property what do we say to the family of the person who gets killed fighting over property? Hey, sorry about your (dad/mom/son/daughter) who got killed fighting for their phone (or whatever) but they sure were brave.

Is the person who fights over some personal item thinking about themselves or their family?

In essence, is your life worth more or less than personal property items like phones? It all boils down to that.

Perhaps asking the families of the dead if they think it was worth it might reveal some answers.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:04 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,984,503 times
It's like anything else - if someone takes something of yours you typically do what you can to get it back; sound judgement or not. iPhones are no different than anything else of value; one would go after a thief who took their car, money, expensive watch, necklace, etc... this story is just an example of someone trying to get their stuff back but lacking sound judgement. I run across people without sound judgement all the time, so this doesn't surprise/shock me.

Ultimately, a wise person knows a thing is not worth a life... but making philosophical arguments about materialism when a thief is in your sights isn't typical for most people.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:08 AM

2,700 posts, read 4,939,252 times
From reading some of these posts I really hope someone DOES steal something from you and you are stupid enough to try and get it back and they shoot you.. Just less stupid people in the world...

Old 11-14-2014, 10:24 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Would you want your son to lose his life over a phone or a car?

That phones super cheap compared to never meeting your grand kids.
You are asking the wrong girl this question. Would a rational person choose safety over property? Yes. But I am not a rational person right now. You can ask the guy who tried to mug me a couple months ago how well that worked out for him.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:40 AM

338 posts, read 421,283 times
Quote:
"What exactly is an Appleoids?" [N.B.: grammar errors left uncorrected, for perspective]

Quote:
"I can't stand Apple idolatry. If I had a child in their teens I'd help them buy them an Android device but not an Phone, they'd have to pay for that with their own money. I can't stand their 'walled garden' ecosystem and how people seem to buy their stuff with almost blind loyalty, as if Apple practically invented oxygen."
^-- Precisely that.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:08 AM

734 posts, read 1,082,189 times
An Iphone is not worth getting shot over. WTF is wrong with people? Is the Apple worship that serious?

Old 11-14-2014, 11:16 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,866,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Of course there is something wrong with people who steal from others. That is a given but not the question.

Is it worth risking your life for an iPhone? You're trying to change the question.

Not trying to change the question Mack. What I would like to see is a change in mindset. I am close to 70 and I have seen the concept of Pacifism slowly erode our society into a bunch of sissies.. The idea of avoiding violence and just submitting to EVIL gained a lot of momentum in the 60's and 70's. For almost 40 years the theme we heard over and over was " don't resist (robbery etc.) just hand over your money and forget about it. Is your life worth a few dollars?" This idea was even promoted among Women if they were ever assaulted sexually. That message changed during the 1980's when getting raped and contracting H.I.V meant DEATH. That was the constant message we heard in case of an airplane hijacking. Finally on 9/11 the passengers on Flight 93 decided that was poor advice. However we are being bombarded again with the Pacifist point of view.

To some people a possession worth a few hundred dollars is pocket change. To others that possession is their life savings.. Unfortunately using deadly force to defend your property (and even your life) is not allowed by LAW in some states. The Police are there to investigate crime AFTER it happens. It is a rare occasion when a Police officer actually STOPS a crime in progress. Courts have said the Police cannot be held liable for your protection. Ultimately WE have to protect ourselves and our family. Hopefully soon all 50 states will extend that protection by law, to property.

GL2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events