Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 04:26 PM

29,522 posts, read 22,674,035 times

Advertisements

Man Pays a Horrific Price for Defending His Girlfriend From a Catcaller

Quote:
According to Schwartz, the suspect was directing salacious statements toward his girlfriend, Miyoko Moody, while they were walking home in the early hours of Nov. 15.

“When we tried to get away from the situation and cross the street, we were followed, and the harassment got even more intense,” said Schwartz. “I was scared for me. I was scared for my girlfriend. I told her to stay on one side of the street, and I went to tell him to stop.”

The man then pulled out a blade, stabbed Schwartz nine times, and got away in a car. Police are still looking for the suspect.
S.F. stabbing victim: We need to end catcalling - SFGate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 04:47 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
Why didn't they put a description of the Criminal in the article so people could avoid or call in their tip ?

The problem was not Catcalling but a Thug criminal or someone with a Mental Problem.

Old 11-23-2014, 05:55 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,837,240 times
That was horrific. It doesn't mean we need to ban speech. That's ridiculous.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:23 PM

542 posts, read 1,684,222 times
This occurred in the Tenderloin district, so you can assume who the suspect was. News outlets would be deemed racist if they make mention of race.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:34 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,604,751 times
The title of this news article should have been "Couple gets assaulted in Tenderloin District". Most normal guys aren't going to catcall a girl when she's visibly with her boyfriend (not saying she would have been safer without him). But c'mon, you're in a rough neighborhood known for crazy folks who'll stab you for looking at them the wrong way. This would not have happened in a typical neighborhood.

Not to say street harassment isn't an issue, but this is twisting criminal behavior into a gender-wide generalization. That guy was going to stab the boyfriend even if he wasn't with her girlfriend and there was not catcalling involved. The boyfriend approached this guy and he took the action people in that neighborhood are known to take. Why not raise the issue of trying to get crime out of that neighborhood?

Old 11-24-2014, 12:21 AM

4,660 posts, read 4,123,803 times
I once slapped around a neighbor who kept catcalling my wife (girlfriend at the time).

I introduced myself nicely and told him that I was her boyfriend and that he needed to leave her alone. At the time, he was understanding and didn't argue. But he did it again.

He was drinking with a couple of his pals out front when I got off work and she told me, so I walked over, slapped him, choked him and threw him up against a fence. He looked towards his friends like they were going to do something, and I told him if they took one step I would kill him then and there.

I next told him that there would be no more conversations, and if it happened again I would kill him and bury him out in the desert. His friend apologized and said: "he's and animal." I told him that he would soon be a dead animal.

Shortly thereafter I moved her in with me (she couldn't move immediately due to her situation, but almost). He never did anything again but while we were moving I went over and messed with him again just because I didn't like him. He's probably dead (one of those types) but if I saw him again I would beat his ass just for kicks.

I get a warm feeling every time I tell that one.

Point as related to the article...hit first and hit hard. Establish dominance. Guy should have picked up the nearest rock, went over and laid the catcaller out.

Old 11-24-2014, 05:31 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
Situations like this justify everyone being properly armed. You should never confront a jerk like that unarmed because you can be certain a jerk like that will be armed. Some would say the couple should have just kept moving and avoided the confrontation. That would have only pleased the murderous jerk.

I have had confrontations like "[SIZE=5]cachibatches[/SIZE]" when I was younger. My instinct to defend my friend from insult kicked in so I floored the idiot and stomped him. The girl I was with never had anyone do that for her and was quite appreciative.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:13 AM

8,273 posts, read 8,662,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
I once slapped around a neighbor who kept catcalling my wife (girlfriend at the time).

I introduced myself nicely and told him that I was her boyfriend and that he needed to leave her alone. At the time, he was understanding and didn't argue. But he did it again.

He was drinking with a couple of his pals out front when I got off work and she told me, so I walked over, slapped him, choked him and threw him up against a fence. He looked towards his friends like they were going to do something, and I told him if they took one step I would kill him then and there.

I next told him that there would be no more conversations, and if it happened again I would kill him and bury him out in the desert. His friend apologized and said: "he's and animal." I told him that he would soon be a dead animal.

Shortly thereafter I moved her in with me (she couldn't move immediately due to her situation, but almost). He never did anything again but while we were moving I went over and messed with him again just because I didn't like him. He's probably dead (one of those types) but if I saw him again I would beat his ass just for kicks.

Point as related to the article...hit first and hit hard. Establish dominance. Guy should have picked up the nearest rock, went over and laid the catcaller out.

You did the right thing. I am sure some here will attack you and say you should have given him a stern talking to.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:15 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
You did the right thing. I am sure some here will attack you and say you should have given him a stern talking to.
Probably not but he is extremely lucky the guy didn't pull out a gun and start shooting.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:34 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,565,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post

Are you Ray Liotta???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events