Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 12:56 PM

30,642 posts, read 18,249,084 times

Advertisements

Representative Aaron Schock of Illinois*Says He Will Resign - Bloomberg Politics

From the article:

Quote:
Schock has faced scrutiny over expenses, including whether he properly disclosed and reimbursed spending for vehicle mileage and private plane flights. Media attention began after the Washington Post reported last month that his office was redecorated in the style of the British television show “Downton Abbey.”
Honestly, I don't believe that Schock is resigning due to spending matters, and certainly not just because the issue became a "distraction." Seriously, what power-hungry politician does that nowadays? They're usually so hesitant to get out of the game that only a public threat of legal/criminal action will force them out. Instead, it wouldn't shock me if he's using this as a front for the real reason, which could be have to do with the many allegations surrounding his sexual orientation (he's a conservative Republican who is generally opposed to many gay rights). Just a thought.

In any event, I think the people of his congressional district will be better served by his resignation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 01:23 PM

5,280 posts, read 6,217,453 times
He's been in a glass closet for at least half a decade. I think he knows something big will come down the pike if everyone keeps digging around his junk... and boy- everything sounds kinda dirty in the context of his unofficial orientation. HeHeHe.

FWIW- I think that sweetheart real estate deal where the employee of a major donor bought his house in bumfuc* for three times what he paid probably could cause him to have problems. As well as listing another donor's house as his official address. And all the 'miscategorized' travel and office expenses.

He's simply example #438 of how people might enter Congress as commoners but they never leave anything less than wealthy.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:30 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,487,902 times
No, the icing on the cake was when the National Journal magazine published on their website that he went to India last year using taxpayers money with one guest, a male friend, and he tried to hide it. It's time for him to come out and come clean...

Old 03-17-2015, 01:49 PM

5,280 posts, read 6,217,453 times
Okay- so I guess this might have been the smoking gun:

Aaron Schock resigns after new questions about mileage expenses - POLITICO

Pretty ballsy to claim 170k mileage reimbursement on a vehicle with only 80k miles including personal use. It looks like his total hoard over donor/gov't spending for personal use is probably over the 1/4 million dollar mark now. And I'm sure its rising...

Old 03-17-2015, 01:52 PM

30,642 posts, read 18,249,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
Okay- so I guess this might have been the smoking gun:

Aaron Schock resigns after new questions about mileage expenses - POLITICO

Pretty ballsy to claim 170k mileage reimbursement on a vehicle with only 80k miles including personal use. It looks like his total hoard over donor/gov't spending for personal use is probably over the 1/4 million dollar mark now. And I'm sure its rising...
Could be, but I'm not convinced. I'd expect a politician to claim an "accounting error" or pass the blame to a staffer on an issue like that rather than decide to resign.

Old 03-17-2015, 05:05 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Ahh yeah. Yet another politician from Illinois with "problems". LOL

Old 03-17-2015, 09:47 PM

1,871 posts, read 2,099,223 times
This criminal should be forced to pay back all the money he stole from taxpayers. Also if he is eligible for a pension he needs to have that revoked and eliminated. Not fair to be rewarded. Sounds like a crook to me.

Old 03-18-2015, 05:14 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
He's from "the party of personal responsibility."

Old 03-18-2015, 11:48 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,821,329 times
Quote:
Aaron Schock’s Tuesday began with a quiet early-morning stroll near the Capitol with his close friend, Missouri Rep. Jason Smith. Schock, sporting shorts and a sweatshirt, frequently looked down at his iPhone.

Within hours, his once-promising congressional career would be over. Schock’s resignation, effective March 31, came so abruptly that the Illinois Republican didn’t even give Speaker John Boehner or his leadership team a heads-up. Majority Whip Steve Scalise (R-La.) had been planning to keep Schock on the GOP’s vote-counting team. Fellow congressmen from Illinois also had no idea.
Quote:
On Monday evening, POLITICO began asking questions about reimbursements he received from his campaign and the federal government for mileage put on his personal car. Records show that Schock personally claimed reimbursement for roughly 170,000 miles driven from January 2010 to July 2014. But the only vehicle he owned during that time was sold with just 80,000 miles on the odometer.

Asked for his response to those findings, Schock announced his resignation.
Aaron Schock's final hours - Jake Sherman and Anna Palmer and John Bresnahan - POLITICO

Quote:
Some think Schock's troubles started with the ridiculous and costly "Downton Abbey" makeover of his Washington office and that devastating interview with ABC News' Jeff Zeleny, a former Tribune reporter who is now with CNN.
Quote:
Schock: "I've never been an old crusty white guy."
Zeleny: "What does that mean?"
Schock: "I'm different. I came to Congress at 27," Schock said. "When I go take a personal vacation I don't sit on the beach, I go do active things. And so, I'm also not going to live in a cave. So when I post an Instagram photo with me and my friends, as Taylor Swift said, 'Haters gonna hate.' "
Kass: Aaron Schock should have kept his shirt on - Chicago Tribune

So, basically - Aaron Schock is facing charges of third-degree falsification of claims and first-degree being a complete and total idiot.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:54 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,252,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
It's time for him to come out and come clean...
Why? I don't understand the point of doing that, especially now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events