Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 10:02 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
I'm trying to 'go to the press'. Does anyone have any idea on how this is done?

I have a story that I believe needs to be told. It's entertaining, newsworthy, and I'm not looking for money.

What should I do?

I've tried emailing many reporters, no one even responded.
If you have an impressive butt: drop your drawers, take a vid of said monument and put it on Youtube. In today's world this will establish your credentials quicker than anything. After that you come on with your story, and within a few days it will have a zillion tweets and be a crusade not a story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 10:23 AM

4,205 posts, read 4,457,265 times
Send it out as a pseudo, 'Press Release' like that group who manages to get false stories published. I can't think of their name - but they would wrap it in all the trimmings for the mainstream tabloid press to bite on just like the internet / social marketing types do to get 'clicks'.

All you need is one small paper to pick it up and then build a false lead of credibility up the chain of layers as the 'click count chasers' fawn all over it. Remember, you'll need to make it appear controversial via the three Rs of the mainstream media "racy, raunchy, or ridiculous". It seems to be the standard MO.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:30 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
It must not be about the Kardashians with a pic of their big body parts. Media would be all over that one.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:43 AM

5,885 posts, read 6,955,799 times
You may try posting the story to your local C-D group. I've seen posts in ours end up in the local press.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:56 AM

3,092 posts, read 1,946,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I am a journalist. I get this everyday. No disrespect, but most everybody has a "story" they think is newsworthy and thinks ought to be in the papers. If I had a dollar for every time I've had somebody say, "You should do a story on this!" But there are many things that go into making a "story" newsworthy. I'd say 90 percent do not have enough widespread public interest to be "newsworthy." So ask yourself: What is the PUBLIC INTEREST level of your story? Is it a story that might help other people? Is it a feel-good "people story" about somebody or something unique to your area? Or is it just something that happened to you that you find curious or odd?

Even if the story is worth looking into, it's quite often impossible for a reporter to simply drop everything and look into it. We're very busy people. There's not enough time in day or week already to follow up on every news tip, so we must choose the ones that are most important and have the widest reader interest.

If you'd like to message me privately with details of your story, I'd be happy to let you know if I think it's plausible.

Also, as others have said, it is unlikely that the Boston Globe or Boston Herald are going to "bite" on a cold story lead. Major metro newspapers seldom do. Your better bet is to reach out to a small local community paper. The bigger papers end up getting a lot of their stories from the small suburban papers, believe it or not.

NEWSBOY
Thank you very much. I'll message you privately.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:54 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times
Quote:
I am a journalist. I get this everyday. No disrespect, but most everybody has a "story" they think is newsworthy and thinks ought to be in the papers. If I had a dollar for every time I've had somebody say, "You should do a story on this!" But there are many things that go into making a "story" newsworthy. I'd say 90 percent do not have enough widespread public interest to be "newsworthy." So ask yourself: What is the PUBLIC INTEREST level of your story? Is it a story that might help other people? Is it a feel-good "people story" about somebody or something unique to your area? Or is it just something that happened to you that you find curious or odd?

Even if the story is worth looking into, it's quite often impossible for a reporter to simply drop everything and look into it. We're very busy people. There's not enough time in day or week already to follow up on every news tip, so we must choose the ones that are most important and have the widest reader interest.

If you'd like to message me privately with details of your story, I'd be happy to let you know if I think it's plausible.

Also, as others have said, it is unlikely that the Boston Globe or Boston Herald are going to "bite" on a cold story lead. Major metro newspapers seldom do. Your better bet is to reach out to a small local community paper. The bigger papers end up getting a lot of their stories from the small suburban papers, believe it or not.

NEWSBOY
I think u "news people" scrutinize things a bit too much! Maybe let the readers decide if the story was worth printing. I can't read a paper nowadays or watch any "news" because they're all the same! Boring, promote & maintain racism and teach nothing or bring nothing interesting to the reader/viewers attention.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:57 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times
OP: start a blog. Then promote it on Twitter/Facebook/Reddit, etc., and tag the various papers , rather than send them the story and have it buried under millions of others that never get read! I "love" <sarcasm, that email template letting me now they couldn't possibly answer to everyone!

Old 12-03-2014, 06:03 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
listen to me...you need a catchy title...something with some PIZAZZZ!!! and your story's got a have a dame too! no, no, no...not a dame, a Lady, a Lady with a past

Old 12-03-2014, 06:35 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,622,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
I think u "news people" scrutinize things a bit too much! Maybe let the readers decide if the story was worth printing. I can't read a paper nowadays or watch any "news" because they're all the same! Boring, promote & maintain racism and teach nothing or bring nothing interesting to the reader/viewers attention.
If it all bores you then you are looking at the wrong media. Lots of niche sources out there write about interesting, often untold stuff.

If you want reporters to report on literally everything, maybe you can pump some money into the news industry, because there have been reporter layoffs all over the country. That means they can't just waste their time writing a story so that readers can decide whether it's worth it or not. They obviously have to make the decision before they put in the effort.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:01 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,763 times
Quote:
So ask yourself: What is the PUBLIC INTEREST level of your story? Is it a story that might help other people? Is it a feel-good "people story" about somebody or something unique to your area? Or is it just something that happened to you that you find curious or odd?

NEWSBOY
Question....what if it's about corruption? There is a website about it for those who are experiencing
this but it's a discussion forum encouraging people to write their senators and congressmen which
more or less equals nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events